Carbohydrates - Food of the Devil?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We sometimes seem to demonise carbohydrates almost as if they are a poison. And yet for many carbohydrates are an essential part of their diet.

Just quoting from an Australian source for example:

https://www.sportsdietitians.com.au/factsheets/food-for-your-sport/food-for-your-sport-swimming/

“Nutrition is often based around lean proteins for muscle repair and recovery, carbohydrate appropriately timed for fuel. In addition, fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds and wholegrains provide important vitamins and minerals, along with some healthy fats. Busy schedules also need to be considered (work, school, university) and meals/snacks need to be organised for eating ‘on the run’ to optimise fuelling and recovery.”

And from Swim England:

https://www.swimming.org/masters/what-to-eat-during-swimming-competitions/

And from Speedo who say “Forget outswimming a bad diet”

https://www.speedo.com/uk/en/explor...ion/0c2d2e50-73c1-4419-8d85-02bf25d82afc.html

For the young and those involved in sporting activities do we need to view carbohydrates in a different light?

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well,I’m no expert but I do believe that for anyone diagnosed with T2 they are indeed harmful if not “poison” and should be avoided to try and prevent progression of the disease.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well,I’m no expert but I do believe that for anyone diagnosed with T2 they are indeed harmful if not “poison” and should be avoided to try and prevent progression of the disease.
Hi @PenguinMum I am guessing you are a mum? Would you attempt to restrict carbohydrate food levels given to your kids? (If they were not diabetic that is?)

Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I pretty much agree with @Listlad. I fully ascribe to the fact that the majority of 'carbs' are harmful to those that cannot tolerate them, ie sweets/crisps/bread/pasta/rice/pastry and that sort of thing and maybe many fruits but I cannot accept that the carbs that come from vegetables are 'the devil'. Yes, a carb is a carb and each individual can decide for themselves, but it seems that some people demonise carbs of ALL types even for those without an intolerance. Breastmilk is jam packed with carbs but babies thrive on it and without this milk, they would die wouldn't they? Is a carrot poisonous?, I don't think so.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I pretty much agree with @Listlad. I fully ascribe to the fact that the majority of 'carbs' are harmful to those that cannot tolerate them, ie sweets/crisps/bread/pasta/rice/pastry and that sort of thing and maybe many fruits but I cannot accept that the carbs that come from vegetables are 'the devil'. Yes, a carb is a carb and each individual can decide for themselves, but it seems that some people demonise carbs of ALL types even for those without an intolerance. Breastmilk is jam packed with carbs but babies thrive on it and without this milk, they would die wouldn't they? Is a carrot poisonous?, I don't think so.
I hadn’t thought of babies milk. But yes.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @PenguinMum I am guessing you are a mum? Would you attempt to restrict carbohydrate food levels given to your kids? (If they were not diabetic that is?)
Hi @Listlad mine are grown up now and I didnt restrict carbs like potatoes, bread, rice or pasta though I did to an extent restrict sugar. They were only allowed a Diet Coke on a Saturday evening when we had our glass of wine. Similarly there wasnt free access to the biscuit tin or treats cupboard and they weren’t big on pudding after dinner but then my OH and I arent. They did have some chocolate or sweets or cake or crisps but not freely. Of course when they went to secondary school they made their own choices but neither have overdone the sweets stuff. There was a horrible phase of burger bar meals but they grew out of that. However they are both very aware of the reasons I eat LC now and understand it. One of them sometimes drinks more beer than sensible and the other one rarely drinks alcohol.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I reckon the original question is asking are all carbs harmful for people without an intolerance?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I were to raisevthem now even with knowing what I know now I wouldnt stop them having carbs but I think I would be more aware of context and quantity. Eg. If you have a pasta dish do you need garlic bread?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Listlad mine are grown up now and I didnt restrict carbs like potatoes, bread, rice or pasta though I did to an extent restrict sugar. They were only allowed a Diet Coke on a Saturday evening when we had our glass of wine. Similarly there wasnt free access to the biscuit tin or treats cupboard and they weren’t big on pudding after dinner but then my OH and I arent. They did have some chocolate or sweets or cake or crisps but not freely. Of course when they went to secondary school they made their own choices but neither have overdone the sweets stuff. There was a horrible phase of burger bar meals but they grew out of that. However they are both very aware of the reasons I eat LC now and understand it. One of them sometimes drinks more beer than sensible and the other one rarely drinks alcohol.
I have a grown up daughter. When she was a child she swam a lot. She ended up swimming for her club and county, swimming 7 days a week ultimately, levels being built up over a number of years. I seem to recall having to supplement her diet with a carbohydrate supplement but that’s a bit fuzzy in my mind now - late 80s and 90’s.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I were to raisevthem now even with knowing what I know now I wouldnt stop them having carbs but I think I would be more aware of context and quantity. Eg. If you have a pasta dish do you need garlic bread?
That’s my thinking too.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a grown up daughter. When she was a child she swam a lot. She end3d up swimming for her club and county, swimming 7 days a week ultimately, that being built up over a number of years. I seem to recall having to supplement her diet with a carbohydrate supplement but that’s a bit fuzzy in my mind now - late 80s and 90’s.
One of mine was very sporty too and I agree that has to be useful for metabolising carbs.

Reactions: Listlad

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at what an "expert" says.. and its not so clear cut..
Your links are I'm afraid just parroting the usual nutrition advice which serves few of us well... here especially but I believe in the general population too.

Reactions: PeaJay15

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One of mine was very sporty too and I agree that has to be useful for metabolising carbs.
Yes, interesting. One wonders about the “can’t outrun a bad diet “ mantra.

I have it in my mind to ask my GP what they feed premiership footballers on as he used to be a club doctor.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at what an "expert" says.. and its not so clear cut..
Your links are I'm afraid just parroting the usual nutrition advice which serves few of us well... here especially but I believe in the general population too.
I have lived a life with experts and they often don’t agree. :D

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker I agree with you in relation to adults but do children have different nutritional needs? It would be very difficult to stop completely the eating of pizza, pasta, bread in particular and rice of course in many cultures. I think this might have the result of them going overboard on these foods when they can decide for themselves. As far as children are concerned I believe everything in moderation is probably sensible.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breast milk (and formula milk) contains 7g/100grams of carbs. This debunks any myth that we were never meant to consume them.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker I agree with you in relation to adults but do children have different nutritional needs? It would be very difficult to stop completely the eating of pizza, pasta, bread in particular and rice of course in many cultures. I think this might have the result of them going overboard on these foods when they can decide for themselves. As far as children are concerned I believe everything in moderation is probably sensible.
Well now we are getting sub teenage T2's I'm less sure that you are right?
Pizza, pasta, bread will be creating problems from an early age as well as creating food addictions which in future could become quite dangerous. I'm afraid I'll have to adopt my so called "holier than thou " attitude and say that more kids need to learn how to cook fresh from raw ingredients to allow them to have better health in adulthood. The more we get them used to highly processed pre prepared packed foods as the "norm" the more we are creating a toxic environment for them. As occasional treats these things will be fine but as regular food ..hmmm I'd say that we know deep down its not good and if its not good for us how could it be good for kids?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well now we are getting sub teenage T2's I'm less sure that you are right?
Pizza, pasta, bread will be creating problems from an early age as well as creating food addictions which in future could become quite dangerous. I'm afraid I'll have to adopt my so called "holier than thou " attitude and say that more kids need to learn how to cook fresh from raw ingredients to allow them to have better health in adulthood. The more we get them used to highly processed pre prepared packed foods as the "norm" the more we are creating a toxic environment for them. As occasional treats these things will be fine but as regular food ..hmmm I'd say that we know deep down its not good and if its not good for us how could it be good for kids?
I completely agree with you about education and learning to cook and avoiding processed “easy” meals. That comes primarily from the home. I have always home cooked meals for the family as nutritious as possible and pizza was an occasional treat. The sub teenage T2s may not have been introduced to a varied healthy diet from the start and herein lies a lot of the problem IMO. If fast food/processed food is all they know you are on a hiding to nothing. Another idea of mine is when they do classes preparing for parenthood why not do a session on how to feed them well as they grow up. Its not the first 6 months of life thats the problem its from weaning onwards. It almost makes me cry when I see a toddler in a buggy swilling coke in a baby bottle!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most cereals contain 60-80% are we meant to eat those too?
I didn’t say that. What my original question was seeking to evaluate was to what degree should we reduce carbs across the board. The “how low should we go” question posed another way. Partly of course with an eye on the non diabetics. Some more extreme posts that I read do seem to demonise carbs and it’s right that that thinking should be questioned in a quest to arrive at the right balance.