1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Carbs and cals book

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Diabeticger, May 1, 2019.

1. Diabeticger

Diabeticger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Which one is best , thought there was only one , theres quite a few

2. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This is the latest:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Carbs-Ca...27537&s=gateway&sprefix=carbs+,aps,178&sr=8-1

The others tend to be one aspect - recipes, or low calorie meal plans.

Also you can get it as an app which I prefer. I bought the book but gave it to a T2 friend at work because he was munching huge meals of pasta, and lots of bread, pastry and cake...... He was shocked silly when he looked in the book at the carb count for his portions.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I know many people depend on Carbs and Cals. However, I found it a pain. The pictures of plates of food are unclear of the size of the plate and rarely represented the types of meals I ate. And I spent so long going through the book to find (or not) my meal, the food was cold.
    I prefer to use Google and type "carbs in...".
    Over time, I have got used to guestimating most meals and I am happy with this approach.
    We are all different but, if you can borrow a copy, I would try it out before spending money on it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

One ruse I came up with when first diagnosed was to make a large chart which I stuck on the wall. I kept adding to it with each food I ate. Had sections- fruit/dairy/rice/pasta etc. I used the internet/backs of tins/carbs and cals (sorry @helensaramay love it, though agree pics are useless) The chart was good at imbedding it in my brain. It started out stuck to my kitchen wall and 5 years later is on the back of a cupboard door.

• Like Like x 4
  5. WuTwo

I have to admit that having given my copy away I'm not really tempted to get another - not really got much in the way of vegan foods in there.... But my friend at work is chuffed to bits with it and has it in his briefcase so he can use it all the time.

I use the net and Nutracheck these days, and between them they suit me fine.

6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

The book was my bible when I first started. I found the weights of the food and amounts of carbs, protein, fibre and fats were excellent. I still use it occasionally. I find using the internet a bit hit and miss, except for the major supermarket sites.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Diabeticger

Diabeticger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies, just going to use this as a guide when preparing meals, still trying to find my feet so any and all help greatly appreciated

• Like Like x 1
  9. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I agree that the app 'carbs and cals; was also my bible when diagnosed, I found it useful as it gives weights as well as images so you can visualise what's on your plate and compare it to the image, as a starting point it's very useful and as it's an app it's easy to use. If you're eating out then the restaurant should have nutritional information for the food it serves, however this isn't always accurate depending on the restaurant, so guessing does become second nature after a while.

• Like Like x 2
  10. endocrinegremlin

endocrinegremlin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The app is better I find.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dodo

Dodo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I bought this book about five years ago and found it extremely useful. My husband looked through it and was astonished at the carbs he’d been consuming. It changed his eating habits and within three months lost three stone in weight.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. Gomas

Gomas Type 1 · Member

Have to say the Nutracheck app, on the advice of someone here is amazing. The fact that it's instant, and can find almost any product you can throw at it instantly, with near 100% accuracy makes food planning and monitoring ridiculously easy. It's a paid subscription (at least is now / for me anyway), but worth it initially, to get to grips with the meals i would typically eat.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WuTwo

I've been using it for years - I always add our recipes in so that as the years have gone by the app gets ever more relevant to my life. Combining Nutracheck with Diabetes:M and I can get a carb value for my meal in no time, input it in the diabetes app and the app instantly tells me the insulin I need to inject, taking into account the time of day/ratio and exercise levels.

14. KC67

KC67 Type 1 · Member

Another vote for the app. So much easier when you can type the weight in and let the app do the calculating for you! You can also keep updating the app.

15. Timostags

Timostags · Well-Known Member

I have the carb and cals app on my phone....
    Pro's
    pictures, I find it much easier to compare my meal to a picture.
    Con's
    I don't find it very actuarte, I have comapred what something is listed as on Carbs and cals to what something says on the packet and found there is often a big difference.

So I only use Carbs + cals as a last resort if I haven't got a clue how much carbs is in something and can't find anyother way of working it out.

16. lizdeluz

lizdeluz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I find ' Carbs and Cals' useful in default positions when I've got no package info, but the photo amounts are quite hard to quantify. It is a laudable attempt to help people assess their own diets.
    What I found most difficult about the book, (and I haven't used the app), is the weight of the book itself, haha. Did anyone else notice this? It wore me out just picking it up!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook