Carbs in Celeriac

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know the correct carb content of raw celeriac per 100g? Been trying to find out online and have got anything from 1.7g to 7.4g.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone know the correct carb content of raw celeriac per 100g? Been trying to find out online and have got anything from 1.7g to 7.4g.
myfitnesspal has it at 9,2 g of carbs of which 1,8g fibre and 1,6 sugar, so 7,4g net carbs per 100g

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The hamlyn gi and gl counter book says raw celeriac contains 1g carb and 1.1g of fibre per 30g raw weight.

I'm always a little wary of the figures in Myfitnesspal due to the way that the database is largely maintained via crowdsourcing, so I always try and check back against a verifiable source.

Reactions: 3 people

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers Thommo, think I'll split the difference and go for 5g per 100g

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The hamlyn gi and gl counter book says raw celeriac contains 1g carb and 1.1g of fibre per 30g raw weight.

I'm always a little wary of the figures in Myfitnesspal due to the way that the database is largely maintained via crowdsourcing, so I always try and check back against a verifiable source.

I am a t2 and am not on insulin so it is not critical for me to be absolutely precise in my carb counting, as I imagine it must be for a t1. So find the accuracy of myfitnesspal good enough for my purposes,

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Saw this and panicked... have fallen in love with roasted celariac, don't have a lot at a time +/-20 gram could eat loads more but don't want to overdo it and go off it, but saw the post heading and thought l would have to stop... PHEW!!!
:happy:

Reactions: 3 people

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I should really have put a question mark at the end!

JustDomUK

I've gone finally for the Asda website's version at 2.3 per 100g. Wish I'd seen this before posting in another forum

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After bolusing for it for a couple of days, I'm going for 7g per 100g

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aye, I had 300g worth both times and it worked better at 20g rather than 15g, so I'll go for that next time.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Asda figure (2.3g per 100) is the same as that in McCance and Widdowsons which is used for official UK dietary data.
It is for raw celeriac,' top and root, trimmed and peeled'.
In the UK fibre is already subtracted from the Carb total, it's not in the US so figures from the two countries will be different. (there is also a different method of analysis that can make a further variation) For something like celeriac, the fibre amounts to 3.7g/100 so makes a significant difference
If you use online sites like My fitness Pal some of the data comes from members so can be wrong and you also don't know what country they are in and what system they are using . The 'generic' data usually comes from the USDA (American) data base.
You can download a slightly dated excel version of Widdowsons but it is clumsy to use . (carbohydrates column M , Fibre column Z on the proximates sheet)
http://tna.europarchive.org/2011011...od.gov.uk/science/dietarysurveys/dietsurveys/

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The one I got in tescos says 2.3g boiled, makes you wonder why they make it so difficult. American data base says 9.2 with fibre content of 1.8 leaving 7.4 net.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
According to Collins Gem Carb Counter. 100g flesh only, boiled is......wait for it............ - net carbs o_O. I love it and it doesn't spike me at all, but I have to be careful not to eat too much because it fills me up and I don't recognise a hypo until I'm almost on my knees, lol

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's just that different countries do it their own way. There is an attempt to standardise European measurements.
The US don't actually analyse the amount of carbs they calculate it ' by difference'. I'm not sure where they actually get the fibre figure from.
Carbohydrate is determined as the difference between 100 and the sum of the percentages of water, protein, total lipid (fat), ash, and, when present, alcohol. Total carbohydrate values include total dietary fiber.
Total carbohydrate by difference = 100 - [water, protein, total lipid, ash and alcohol in g/100g]
http://www.ars.usda.gov/Main/docs.htm?docid=6233&pf=1#CHO

In Europe they analyse carbohydrate and fibre directly so theoretically it should be more accurate. However there are 3 main methods and each yields a different result
http://ec.europa.eu/research/success/en/agr/0171e.html

For many things the difference aren't nearly so great as it seems with celeriac., I think that it's probably totally to do with how fibre is analysed.