Carbs in lentils ?!?!?

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
A half quantity as a side dish might work, let us know how it turns out. I like lentils and I have them at least once a week. I think I will try the Chicken and Lentil Curry recipe at the bottom of the same page.
I love lentils too, so what amount can we eat...new and confused...cheers...x

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ruby,

The amount of lentils you can have depends entirely on you, really. Some people get excellent bloodsugar results on eating 100 grams of carbs a day. Some do better on 50, or, like me, on 20 grams. Do you have a meter? If you check before a meal and 2 hours after, there shouldn't be a difference bigger than 2.0 mmol/l. If the spike is larger, the meal was carbier than your body could handle. In a while you'll discover what amount per day agrees with you. That could include some lentils, sometimes. Your meter'll tell you. Maybe this'll help: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ And for more in-depth stuff try Dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code, www.dietdoctor.com and this forum's website.

Last edited by a moderator:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I find with chana dhal that I can add a fair bit of cooked cauli and thus reduce the lentil/carb content, without greatly affecting the flavour.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although it is 2 years later I am still alive and well and still eating lentils. I usually have these that I get from Waitrose.....

Lentils1 (2).JPG
Lentils2 (2).JPG

This is probably the most expensive way to buy lentils but they taste nice and are very convenient to substitute for a carby side the rest of the family are having, I have about a third of a tin at a time.

My non-diabetic wife likes them mixed with a Sofrito sauce, particularly with fish.