Carbs or not carbs. This is the question

SugarPossum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My last two HBa1C three monthly readings have hovered around 6% after achieving a low of 5.5% a year ago.
So I'm back to monitoring every day logging of total carb consumption.
I thought I understood % carbs in everyday food but after more reading I find it now somewhat confusing.
For example from healthyeating web site, "..one popular brand of coconut flour contains 64.8 grams of total carbohydrates per 100 grams. Of that total, 38.5 grams are dietary fiber, sugars account for another 8.7 grams and only the remaining 17.6 grams are starchy carbs."
Then again, "..100-gram portion of white all-purpose flour contains 76.3 grams of total carbohydrates. Of that total, only 2.7 grams are dietary fiber and another 0.3 grams are sugars, leaving 73.3 grams of starchy carbohydrates."
So on my normal decision making coconut flour is not far short of white flour.
So what decides on bad carbs? sugars + starchy carbs? Ignore fibre content?
e.g., potatoes come in at ~18% carbs but have not yet, so far, split them down to significant(?) proportions.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you read a website that spells fibre the American way (fiber) then be careful. American food labelling is different from Europe. In the USA they include fibre in the total carb content. In Europe the fibre is deducted and listed separately, giving a total of net carbs. Is this the problem you are having?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're in the UK, why not just use total carbs as they are already adjusted for fibre?
AFAIK, only the US labels need the fibre deducted.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you read a website that spells fibre the American way (fiber) then be careful. American food labelling is different from Europe. In the USA they include fibre in the total carb content. In Europe the fibre is deducted and listed separately, giving a total of net carbs. Is this the problem you are having?
This site is listed as registered in San Francisco, USA

SugarPossum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tesco do not attach a label with carbs (net or otherwise) to their parsnip :) so I've been using this as my carb bible.
Oh dear! Picture doesn't insert from URL so I've added a cropped image as example. Figures represent % carbs but proportions?
18bfb97e

Attachments

• LowCarbHighFat(A)small.jpg
    LowCarbHighFat(A)small.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 583

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is an excellent book, and app, called Carbs & Cals, available from Amazon. Take a look. When I first started I rarely put it down, and I still use it now. It even comes on holiday with me!

Parsnips (roasted) are high carb, about 19% according to carbs & cals.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
EU food labels should say 12.5g carbs of which 5.7g are sugars - although it's not clear or stated on the the tescos page BB provided - someone email tescos and point out their error you might get a free years supply of parsnips.............:rolleyes:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker, back where I started? from your link:
per 100g
Carbohydrate 12.5g
Sugars 5.7g
Fibre 4.6g

OK Tesco lays it out badly..
It should read Carbs 12.5g
Of which sugars 5.7g

Fibre 4.6g is totally separate from the carb count.

If this was a USA site it would say
Carbs 17.1g
Of which sugars 5.7g
Of which fibre 4.6g

Although not in those words and they have a "portion" size which varies from product to product hence I always avoid using USA sites for anything nutrition counting related.

Edit to add parsnips are therefore 12.5% carb so way over what I would eat anyway...

SugarPossum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, bb, it's 18.2g carbs either way?
The parsnip above at 13% needs 6% sugar added.
Now I'm really confused.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, bb, it's 18.2g carbs either way?
The parsnip above at 13% needs 6% sugar added.
Now I'm really confused.
No
Parsnips have 12.5g of carbs per 100g of which 5.7g are sugar. So you look at the total carb figure as all carbs turn to blood glucose once eaten. So parsnips are 12.5% carb
Ignore the fibre (your body does).

SugarPossum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, that's better.
12.5% carbs I can cope with.
So my picture sheet looks about right.
I'm averaging 70'ish carbs/day.

So finally coconut flour is 26.7% carbs, quite a lot lower than white flour at 73.6%

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Useful rules where a carb counter is not available (e.g. when eating food not in a packet)
Or if you are getting stressed or fed up with counting (not sure if that is the case so excuse my presumption):
Quantity - 1-2 fistfuls of carb or less if you tolerate less. You will know by testing post prandial bg after 2 hours
Quality - is it a fibrous carbohydrate? (on the spectrum from white bread through jacket potato down to green leafy veg)? Is it fully of other goodies that you need? (vitamins, minerals,phytates?)
Company - what are you eating with it to slow down its absorption ? (fat and protein or solo will make a differnece to how much insulin and other gut hormones get triggered in the gut)
Timing - as far as I know we are more responsive i.e to carbs spike sugars more first thing (like our eyes' response to bright sun when we've been in the dark all night apparently).

I heard this on a useful low carb podcast and it seems to me like a more sustainable approach unless you are taking insulin and do really need to count (I avoid this by avoiding starchy carbs).
I did eat some coconut flour bread today and can say that it did not raise me as much as wheat flour would have done!

Reactions: CranberryIce