Carbs question

Maggie75

Hi everyone,

I just have a question about how many carbs you can have in a day and still be 'low carb'? Right now I'm trying to stay around 100 grams of carbs per day, would this be considered too many for a T2 diabetic? I feel as though sometimes I'm having a bit too many carbs because I'm finding them really difficult to give up but when I was testing blood glucose I was getting good readings even after potatoes, pasta etc. (I can't test regularly because of needle phobia, takes me days to work myself up to being able to do it, and then my anxiety levels are through the roof). My first HBA1C was 43, dropped from 66 on diagnosis last Nov so am I doing ok with what I'm eating? I've lost 26 pounds since then as well and make sure for most of the week I only eat 2 meals a day and fast during the night for at least 15 hours which I hope is making a difference. Also can anyone recommend a good greek yogurt to have with berries for breakfast? I really want to try as the better weather starts (hopefully) to have more carb free breakfasts and lunches on the days I'm working and have to eat a little more, I already eat lots of eggs. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Maggie

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
In studies 130 grams of carbs is considered the upper limit, whereas many within the protocol see 100 (which I agree with). I wouldn't manage my condition by a number per se. I would consider several aspects, being fat loss, glucose control, triglycerides and a dodging of complications. I would be careful stoking the dragon with the starches as ideally continual A1c's within the 30's is within your grasp.

You have made excellent progress. I have tried many eating patterns and believe 2 meals to be a good compromise.

I got alot out of trying yogurts all varieties. At this time our local dairy is not making their own, which was our staple, so I have tried Yeo Valley Natural, Straight Up, Kefir, Waitrose Creme fraiche, and Waitrose own brand Greek Yogurt I consider as treats.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
On the yoghurt front I like Yeo Valley Organic plain yoghurt but my absolute favourite is the incredibly cheap Brooklea Greek yoghurt from Aldi. In fact I can hear it calling right now!

Reactions: oldgreymare

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

It sounds like you are doing great. I have gone much lower carb than you partly because I find them addictive. Recently I have suffered carb creep with eating probably between 15-25 grams of carbs a day. I find that that has resulted in weight loss stalling and higher levels. I also find I crave more carbs than when lower.

I'm about to do something to reduce my stress and will then go back to much lower carbs. Hopefully the combination will bring my levels down again. My levels are still in the n normal range but I want them as low as possible to try to reduce my insulin resistance.

It must be so much harder with a needle phobia. I have a lesser version of it and after a long while testing is easier but I sympathise.

Good luck.

Maggie75

Thanks so much to everyone for your replies and suggestions, I'll definitely give those greek yogurts a try. And also try gradually cutting more carbs. Thanks again.

Maggie

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
On the yoghurt front I like Yeo Valley Organic plain yoghurt but my absolute favourite is the incredibly cheap Brooklea Greek yoghurt from Aldi. In fact I can hear it calling right now!
Great just bought in Aldi today - to try for the first time! :)

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I like both the Waitrose and M&S real greek yogurts.
As for carbs, I started on 100g a day then dropped to 85g to get rid of the early morning higher blood sugar (dawn phenomenon), But I know that many people find they need to go lower than that.
Now I'm in remission I try to stay under 120g but will have at least one day a week lower.
However, the advantage of testing more often at first is to check the max carbs per meal (for me that was 30g) and which foods spike more as we all vary.
I used to have a serious needle phobia, but find using a decent lancet pen is easier. Just a push of a button and there is a tiny spot of blood - almost painfree.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Lidl full fat Greek yoghurt, costs next to nothing and is an excellent product. Not really a yoghurt fan on its own but do use it a lot in cooking. Low carb for me is 20g or less. I would struggle to eat more without going near the things that will really spike me - rice/potatoes/bread/pasta...