Carbs versus BG Reading

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning,

I am new to the forum (joined yesterday) and new (ish) to diabetes haveing being diagnosed last June. I am fortunate thatI am not on any meds and I am trying to control my T2 through diet. I am attempting a low carb approach. My average carb intake is
65-70 g per day. I have also started testing ny BG first thing with a My life Pura testing machine. I am very happy with the low carb approach but I am trying to fine tune it.

Friday morning before eating/Drinking my BG was 6.2 and my Carb intake for Thursday was 83.1
Thusday morning before eating/Drinking my BG was 6.2 and my Carb intake for Wednesday was 62.5
Wednesday morning before eating/Drinking my BG was 6.2 and my Carb intake for Tuesday was 63.7
Tuesday morning before eating/Drinking my BG was 5.5 and my Carb intake for Monday was 62.5
Monday morning before eating/Drinking my BG was 5.3 and my Carb intake for Sunday was 41.4

My Carbs and BG seem to be random and I cannot see the correlation between my total carb intake and my fasting BG. Carb intake for yesterday was high 83.1 but my BG was 6.2, same as it was yesterday morning but I had 20% lower carbs on Wednesday.

Obviuosly I am missing something.

Any ideas / help?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
That seems about right and about how it works for me also. Lower the carb intake and the better the FBG. You can see how your fasting has increased as you have increased your carb intake. How many carbs eaten and how you go about it as the day goes on also has an impact I find. I eat the least amount of carbs at dinner, because I'm not as active after dinner.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @ixi1429 and welcome.
Your morning (fasting) BG levels look pretty good actually but you will find that establishing a correlation between your morning level and total carb intake difficult or possibly impossible. I think you would learn more about how your food intake influences your BG by testing just before each meal and then two hours later. This will show how specific foods and quantities of the foods impact on your BG. We all react slightly differently to foods so it isn't simply a one case fits all situation.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you testing at any other time of the day as just testing in the morning won't really give you a good indication of what your BS is doing. To get a good picture of what is going on you really need to be testing upon waking, before meals and 2 hours after meals. Doing this will give you an overall picture and you will soon see what foods your body can tolerate.

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks,

I need to start being more rigourous in my testing - before and after meals. The down side is that the test strip are exactly cheap, even if they ae VAT Free :)

My daily maxiumum target is 75g. Thats 15g per meal plus 15 for Drinks (tea/coffee) plus a buffer of 15. I still intend to have the occaisionla off day - going out for family meals etc.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks,

I need to start being more rigourous in my testing - before and after meals. The down side is that the test strip are exactly cheap, even if they ae VAT Free :)

My daily maxiumum target is 75g. Thats 15g per meal plus 15 for Drinks (tea/coffee) plus a buffer of 15. I still intend to have the occaisionla off day - going out for family meals etc.
Which meter do you use? A lot of us in the UK use the SD Codefree for which the strips if bought in bulk cost less than £6.00 for 50.
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/

(or telephone: 01923 711511)

for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98

For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:

5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £29.49

10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £58.98

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Mylife Pura X.

Just measured my BG as it is 2 hours since I ate. Now 5.1 (Was 6.2 at 06.21 a.m. this morning.). I had a 200g Arla Blueberry Quark "yoghurt" for breakfast, which was 13g.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The other good option to keep down testing costs is the Tee2 meter - its free from Spirit healthcare and strips are 7.75 for 50.
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
I dont always find any absolute correlation between daily carb intake and daily fasting blood sugars - there are too many other actors that affect fasting bs ( stress, sleep, infection etc) but there is a clear trend over a period of consuming a relatively stable carb level.
If I wwas new to the diabetes game, I would try eating and testing across a consistent fairly narrow range ( say 70-80g), see what the blood sugar trend is over a week or 2 and adjust it as necessary until the trend is as you want it. Testing individual foods / meals of differing card conent also helps