Carbs

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Im guessing this question has come up a 1000 times! But how much is low carb??? I cant do high fat due to gallbladder issues. How much protein?

At the moment Im at

Carbs: 88g including veggies and fruit)
Fat: under 40g
Protein: 75g

Diagnosis: insulin résistant (stage before diabetes)

Thanks!!!!
Alicki

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I stay under 20 carbs, and 4 oz protein. I don't gob fat but I do eat an entire avocado throughout the day and some mayo or olive oil. Probably 3 T by the end of the day. A few pumpkin seeds or pecans maybe.

Tough place to be. I would think the type of fat could make a difference? I know saturated fat bothers me far more than avocado or mayo. I can only eat a few nuts or seeds at a time but that's all I need.

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you counting veggies and fruit in that amount? An orange alone has 15g of Carbs - have tried avocado, ok in small quantities but not large ones. Fish is fine, nuts too. Milk products-forget it! Cottage cheese is ok. I have an ap "my calorie" that counts everything.

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks!!

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Trial and error, everybody is different. Keep testing before and after food you will soon find out what's ok for you. I still eat a lot of fruit, it's seems to be ok'ish. No banana, my passion! I just cut out potatoes, veg that grow underground, all pastry yogs, cakes, sweets etc. I reckon I average 50 plus carbs a day, and my BG are down and I have lostv3 stone since March. So it suits me. I have done this through finger pricking before and after meals and if I try anything new. Trial and error!?!?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,

Im guessing this question has come up a 1000 times! But how much is low carb??? I cant do high fat due to gallbladder issues. How much protein?

At the moment Im at

Carbs: 88g including veggies and fruit)
Fat: under 40g
Protein: 75g

Diagnosis: insulin résistant (stage before diabetes)

Thanks!!!!
Alicki

My answer will be ambiguous.
Because you have so much going on, you do have to find out yourself, how to cope, a lot of trial and error, a lot of experiments, a lot of testing and quite a bit of planning.
Because it is better for us RH ers to eat quite more often, say every three hours, it is easier to eat very small meals, because, of trying to maintain level blood glucose, the calories, the carbs, the protein and fats soon add up.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had gall stones and tried for several years to manage my condition by eating low fat. I think it actually made the problem worse. If the gall bladder doesn't contract and empty, which it does in response to a 'fatty meal' the bile just stays in their getting more and more concentrated and gall stones just get bigger and bigger. You are between a rock and a hard place, if you have tiny gall stones, like gravel, it is said that flushing the gall bladder can expel them, but if they are larger, causing the gall bladder to contract can expel a gall stone into the common bile duct that may be too big to pass through, and biliary colic is an awful thing and potentially very dangerous.
If I had known initially what I knew eventually, I would have followed a high fat diet to keep my gall bladder contracting and healthy. I ended up having an emergency gall bladder removal. I am one of the lucky ones, even with no gall bladder I have no problem with a high fat diet.
Gall bladder disease is miserable, I have been much better post surgery. Not sure what to advise re diet but a low fat diet didn't work for me in the long term. It felt like delaying the inevitable.

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, its Gravel not stones! But you re right, Im delaying the inévitable. Had bilary colic, Gravel stuck in bile ducts

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had gall stones and tried for several years to manage my condition by eating low fat. I think it actually made the problem worse. If the gall bladder doesn't contract and empty, which it does in response to a 'fatty meal' the bile just stays in their getting more and more concentrated and gall stones just get bigger and bigger. You are between a rock and a hard place, if you have tiny gall stones, like gravel, it is said that flushing the gall bladder can expel them, but if they are larger, causing the gall bladder to contract can expel a gall stone into the common bile duct that may be too big to pass through, and biliary colic is an awful thing and potentially very dangerous.
If I had known initially what I knew eventually, I would have followed a high fat diet to keep my gall bladder contracting and healthy. I ended up having an emergency gall bladder removal. I am one of the lucky ones, even with no gall bladder I have no problem with a high fat diet.
Gall bladder disease is miserable, I have been much better post surgery. Not sure what to advise re diet but a low fat diet didn't work for me in the long term. It felt like delaying the inevitable.
I destroyed my gallbladder with a low to no fat diet. Now I have no gallbladder and dont process fats all that well. loperimide is my friend. I also have IBS so if I have to go out I tend not to eat until I get home (close to the bathroom). It is inconvenient but not a health threat like my diabetes. I stick to my LCHF because it keeps the D somewhat under control.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi, its Gravel not stones! But you re right, Im delaying the inévitable. Had bilary colic, Gravel stuck in bile ducts

Low fat is not delaying the inevitable, it is hurrying it along. If you don't trigger the gallbladder to contract and release bile, the gravel will just sit there and get bigger. Gall bladder attacks suck and can be dangerous. If you are having painful attacks it is time to talk to your doctor.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb ranges up to 150 grams/day, but everyone has a different "tipping" point. You have to find yours based on your daily blood glucose levels in response to what you're eating.

Ketogenic diet ranges up to 50 grams/day but some need to go as low as 20 or 30 grams. :)

Bluebell_GB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same problem. Years of "healthy" low fat eating resulting in biliary colic and gallbladder removal.

The thing to do is to eat as low carb as you need to in order to control your blood sugar levels and as high (good) fat as you can tolerate. This will require a blood glucose monitor (I use the SD Codefree) and an app to record the macros in your diet (I use MyFitnessPal). We are all different so I am afraid it will be trial and error to find the particular combination that works for you.

Good luck

Regards

Bluebell

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you counting veggies and fruit in that amount? An orange alone has 15g of Carbs - have tried avocado, ok in small quantities but not large ones. Fish is fine, nuts too. Milk products-forget it! Cottage cheese is ok. I have an ap "my calorie" that counts everything.

Yup everything counts. No fruit for me.
Interesting on eating too little fat. I feel the same way about the gut and eating too clean. Challenging it strengthens it. The body and each organ ah e their roles. Use it or lose it. I would agree to eat the kinds of fat you can in the quantities you can. Saturated fat is hard for a lot of us as is too many nuts or oils. No need to gob or have a high calorie diet. Just normal fars in normal quantities. Fat bombs are not necessary. But the body does require fat. It is an essential nutrient. Have you looked into ox bile or a lypase enzyme?

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. The gallbladder needs to contract, point taken. My GP-holistic doc has given me some herbs (Im not in UK) to support its function and so far so good. Since They made wider, the bile duct by cutting it a little, things are much much better. Im in one of those 2% where no thing was showing up of any imaging aside the invasive endoscopique ultrasound!!!!! I would remove it but docs cant guarantee that i would still have stones in bile ducts! They say its rare but that Im a rare case, so no promises!!! So why go and mess with an organ if it can be Helped. I dont Want to use enzymes because thats only like putting a plaster on the problem, more over getting off them Will be Hell.

Now yes its trial and error but i dont know how much protein to eat, what kind of protein ???
I ve Also got chloestrol, down from 7 to 5.5 (but higher end is 5) so need to Work on that. My glucose levels are great at 5.1, but Im insulin resistant and hyperinsulism so i suppose i would need to check homa 1, and insulin levels to see how Im doing.

As nosher says, Ive got a lot going on re métabolic panel!! Thanks for low carb indication , i saw the under 150g on net but wanted confirmation!

Kristins post makes a lot of sense! Fat in small quantities and good fat. Ill keep fruit but limit it to twice a day.

Thanks everyone! Your responses have been really helpful

Reactions: 2 people

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I had had gravel and if I had had my bile duct widened, I would definitely go higher fat. On diagnosis my many stones were already large (I'd been eating low fat for years). If you can get the gall bladder to contract well and expel the gravel naturally you will be so much better in the future. There is lots of stuff on the net about gall bladder flushes, I think there's a conversation going on about it in another thread I was reading only yesterday on here.

For me 150 grams is a HUGE amount of carbs - personally I'd never go over 60 with total elimination of grains and only eat berries now and then, but it it works for you, that's good. That's certainly not low carb by my definition, but then I'm an old fashioned Atkins girl!

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, i Stay around 60-80. Someone else was Saying 150 is LC. No way i would no flushes, mostly because They can be dangerous. But high good fat makes sense, in small quantities . Thats the best advice over seen so far

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Now that leaves the protein! 4oz is about 100g. What are the others doing??

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat 4 oz Animal / fish protein and I get a little more in a few pumpkin seeds and a whole avocado.
BF is either 1/2 avocado with celery or 1/4 with a lettuce wrap with a swipe of mayo mustard and a small piece of organic deli turkey

L is 1.5 oz protein ( usually chicken turkey tuna salmon or shrimp, beef slices or lamb ) with a touch of oil or mayo, celery, radish, scallion and a pinch of onion with 1/4 avocado either chopped or smashed into guacamole

Dinner same as lunch but with 2 oz protein

Protein spikes me. Somehow by the end if the day I have polished off a whole avocado. Meals probably have one T mayo or oil and I get a little more fat in pumpkin seeds , pecans or olives as snacks. When I say pecans I eat 3 and pumpkin seed is a pinch, not a handful. I don't eat a lot of anything and it's much easier on digestion, weight and muscles same for a long time.

By the end of the day I am 80% fat 15% p and 5% carb (less than 20 carbs)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me 150 grams is a HUGE amount of carbs - personally I'd never go over 60 with total elimination of grains and only eat berries now and then, but it it works for you, that's good. That's certainly not low carb by my definition, but then I'm an old fashioned Atkins girl!

Everyone has a different "tipping point". Most diabetics can't eat 150 g carbs a day, but it might be possible for someone who's not diabetic or in the earliest stages of metabolic syndrome. I estimate I eat less than 50 carbs a day, probably less because I'm in ketosis most of the time.

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Thanks to all. i really like Kristins approch a bit of everything. I be replaced bread by butwheat crackers. Now its the chocolate that needs to go. Im not diabetic or pre diabetic, its insulin resistance but that leads to diAbetes. So Thanks for all the input really good