Carbs

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My apologies. It was not meant to be an insult to obese people but rather obese people with health issues handing out advice to eat tons and tons of saturated fats. And the you won't lose weight unless you up your fats. Pile the butter on your ribeye steak. Make sure to add lots of butter and cheese to all yiur vegetables and be sure to cook those veggies in bacon grease. Then don t forget to lick the plate.!!!
They had a recipe for avacado SNACK. one avocado. 4 slices of bacon and all the grease. A few T melted butter and something else I don't remember. Now I love fat but this sounds discusting. I can see the bacon in it for sure but not the grease and butter. And WHO would lose weight snacking on that? My point was bad dietary advice, not ripping on obese people. When I was misdiagnosed as T2 I struggled for a long time to gain weight. Gaining can be just as hard as losing. Everyone was insulting me telling me I was too skinny and had an eating disorder. Very painful time. Please accept ,y apologies.
Oh my Kristin, I had not taken offense at all, I agree with you. I shouldn't post at 3 am without double checking how I sound. What I meant was that I am trying to change those things about me successfully but slowly. I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kirsten, olive oil works well, avocado in small quantities and a few nuts. I can stand cottage cheese, no other dairy. Crackers are ok if 1-2 a day (5g carbs per cracker). It looks like I might have to have op after all to get removal of gallbladder. But not this summer, want to enjoy summer

Bluebell_GB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kirsten, olive oil works well, avocado in small quantities and a few nuts. I can stand cottage cheese, no other dairy. Crackers are ok if 1-2 a day (5g carbs per cracker). It looks like I might have to have op after all to get removal of gallbladder. But not this summer, want to enjoy summer
Don't worry too much about the op. Provided it is keyhole it really isn't that big a deal. I was back at work 3 days later and pretty much back to normal in 2 weeks.

Regards

Bluebell

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I don't think us in the UK are going to have a summer!
It's been awful!
Just a couple of decent hot days! Lots of rain and temperatures in the teens!

Alicki

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks bluebell. My issue is that the sludge is in the ducts and there s no one who can guarantee that removing the gallbladder will prevent sludge forming in ducts. I'm doing quite well now, just scared that things will go downhill - need time to process this before deciding! And it's only been 3 weeks I've got life back

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nobody will promise you that you won't keep forming sludge in the duct because they are used to managing people eating low fat. Eat the fat you can manage, why not an avacado with every meal? Coconut oil possible? Try slightly increasing fat on a weekly basis, keep the gall bladder contracting and doing it's job properly and you may stop making the sludge.

I also had keyhole surgery which went well and I was fine in a few days. They presented me with the gallstones in a pot, disgusting things, went straight in the bin!

knoxy55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anything to do with birds or feathers, whether to look at or eat.
This is very interesting thread. I have tried to follow the low carb diet on here but my problem is that I don't eat a lot of foods that are allowed. I followed diet advice for low fat diet for many years (by a well known company) and I think that has something to do with the situation I am in now. Things I don't eat are chicken, turkey, all type of bird at all, fish of any type, avocado and don't go overboard on fresh fruit and vegetables. I use crackers or high fibre/low GI bread and try to keep off scones etc. I allow myself 2 squares of 70% cocoa chocolate if the notion for something sweet hits in the evening. I have under active thyroid and high blood pressure controlled by medication. I just can't get any weight off although my waist has gone down 4 inches which I am pleased about. Any ideas for meals would be gratefully received as it is 'wearing' me down,

Helen

Sally_Ann_W

Hi, Thanks to all. i really like Kristins approch a bit of everything. I be replaced bread by butwheat crackers. Now its the chocolate that needs to go. Im not diabetic or pre diabetic, its insulin resistance but that leads to diAbetes. So Thanks for all the input really good
I'm at that stage too. But I'm going to try 85% chocolate melted with coconut oil and liquid Stevua and some pumpkin seeds and nuts spread on as this should be low carb :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@knoxy55 your question has piqued my interest. What do you eat to meet your protein and fat requirements? Also your fiber and micronutrient requirements (i.e. vegetables and fruit). What are typical meals and snacks for you? Also, how's your overall health: lab work, blood pressure, etc.? What are your health goals?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just quit coffee today. Raised bs and BP. Wish me luck!! So far rather easy. Hope to be done before the dark dreary cold weather hits