Carbs

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
I am kind of confused about how many carbs I should have a day.

does it matter if it's "good Carbs" or "bad Carbs"?

I've done really well at getting my BS in line bit would like to now what I can have.

I miss my PIZZA!

Got any good ideas?

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are no "good carbs", Best to avoid all of them. Your body doesn't need them.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We may have as much as our body is able to cope...How much is that?

Unless we test pre and post meal regularly, we can't really tell. We are all different in our response to various carbs...simply because we have different levels of beta cells impairment, insulin resistance and fatty liver dysfunction. So we have to each find our own comfortable level.

The general advice that testing is not helpful for T2D on Metformin, and to eat whole grain simply assumes that we are all the same and can tolerate similar amount and type of carbs.

But like our body temperature, our glucose/insulin/ketone levels are designed to work well within a rather narrow range. Living chronically out of that range...always leads to trouble....

Reactions: geefull and dbr10
D

Deleted member 371625

It depends on what you can tolerate. In many cases, as weight is lost (particularly abdominal fat around the pancreas) insulin sensitivity also increases meaning more carbs can be tolerated. I'm doing fine on 100-130g of carbs per day and eat the same as my family. I just have smaller portions of spud, rice, pasta etc. and pretty much cut out cakes and biscuits etc.
Your meter will let you know.
I list my daily food (including calories, carbs, an exercise) on another thread in this forum if it helps you with ideas. Others also list here too so you can see what is possible. (See link below).

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...orning-and-what-did-you-eat-yesterday.117017/

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Try to have low-GI carbs i.e. those with lots of fibre when you do have them but apart from fibre, keep the carbs right down. I would aim for somewhere below 100gm/day if you can but your meter and scales will guide you.

Reactions: AlaskaRon

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try to stay under 20g per day.. everyone is different but I found early on it's best to go as low as you can.
And as others have said there aren't really any good or bad carbs..just carbs

Reactions: Freema

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am kind of confused about how many carbs I should have a day.

does it matter if it's "good Carbs" or "bad Carbs"?

I've done really well at getting my BS in line bit would like to now what I can have.

I miss my PIZZA!

Got any good ideas?

You need to test.
I find all carbs are different.
A fast hit like a sugar, and if your insulin response is poor, you will see a very swift peak as the sugar is absorbed very quickly, and overwhelms your body's response.
If you have a lower GI, and it's digested slowly, your body may keep up with the insulin response required, and you'll see a lower rise in BG.
There is no way anyone can tell you what you personally should eat, you need to test and achieve a balance you can live with.
Like many, I found losing weight, and body fat, greatly improved my insulin resistance as well.

Reactions: AlaskaRon

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As @douglas99 says things will change over time (hopefully) and your Insulin resistance will alter especially if you lose weight and body fat, so testing will become part of life and an essential tool in combating the disease.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you eat to your meter you will arrive at your own personal carb tolerance level, and this can take a bit of time and a lot of trial and error, but keeping a detailed food diary including portion sizes and rigorous testing before and after, recording levels, tweaking the portion sizes or eliminating where necessary, and looking for patterns will help you find your tolerance level.

There is no right or wrong. The amount of carbs and the type of carbs you can manage and still keep those levels down is entirely unique to you.

TallLeeds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can also ditch those fancy flours....as long as you're not eating it every day. ...just use the recipes and it will work. Try looking for LCHF recipes from American sites. ...and keep away from coconut. ...they seem to think it's amazing....but it's double the of butter and olive oil. Good luck.