Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
How many carbs should I have a day. Breakfast lunch and dinner

That's really up to you, assuming you are T1, as you should be able to adjust your insulin to match your carbs (assuming you are on a basal/bolus regime).

Some T1s have lots, others go low carb for various reasons. (eg I low carb because I have slight T2 genetics from my T2 dad and after 52 years of T1 I find it easier to manage with less carbs, but at your age I had many more.)

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Your question is impossible to answer because we are all different and have widely different tolerances to carbohydrates.In addition you have not mentioned whether you are type 2 or type 1.

Assuming that you are type 2, the amounts can vary from 20 to 150 grams per day. Dr Bernstein in his book Diabetes solutions advises ca 30 a day, split as follows 6 grams @ breakfast 12grams @Lunch and 12 @ tea.
You need to eat to your meter to find out what suits you.

I seem to need to limit my carbohydrate intake to around 20-30 grams a day, the lower the better.
The associated issue with low carbs is that we need to replace this reduced energy source with fats to maintain our energy intake levels.
This is where the term LCHF originated ie low carbohydrates [medium protein] high fat.

Hope this helps, if only a little.

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am happy with 100 to 150 grams a day on my moderate lchf food menu.

It works for me, but not work for others, you have to be prepared to test a lot at first.

D

Deleted member 543160

To control my glucose levels as a T2 I need to eat low carbs, and aim for a maximum of 50g a day.

But as suggested there's not one answer fits all. and T1s on insulin may well manage by doing a carbs/insulin balancing act.

iwilltouchyourcat

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am currently type 2 (possibly Lada waiting results) but I started at around 80-100g and worked my way down until I found what helped my bm. I now stick to the Michael Moseley 50/50 rule which is to aim for no more than 50g carbs and higher than 50g protein a day. I average out at about 30g carb most days. Dr Bernsteins book suggested 30g a day (including if you are type 1.) Hope this helps

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
If you're T1 (judging by your age) and you do not have insulin resistance, then as much as you want, just choose the right dose of bolus