Carbs

misterdj

I am sure this question has been asked many times on this forum. But whats the deal with carbs? To carb or not carb? I was diagnosed with type 2 last week and i am struggling to get my head round it all. Im 41, 10lbs overweight and have a blood glucose of 9.2. I think i eat pretty healthily but im happy to make changes. But if i have to cut carbs then where do i get my fuel. I have tried a low carb diet this week and have generally been shaking by 5pm and feeling weak. I want to go to the gym more often but i can only go after work so I am wondering what to eat beforehand? Suggestions appreciated

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Glucose is a carbohydrare molecule. one of dozens of kinds of carbohydrate, not all of which are digestible or biologically active. Thus eating carbs usually puts your blood glucose level up. Starch is a polymer of glucose, which is easily broken down into its component glucose molecules. Since carbohydrates are not essential nutrients, It would seem that if you never ate them, you'd have no problems, but unfortunately, the liver makes some for us and those have to be controlled too.
Once a person understands the basic principles of metabolism, he/she is equipped to make informed decisions on their own strategy for dealing with excess glucose in the system. The choices range from "Eat little or no carbs and use minimal medication" to "Eat whatever takes your fancy and use as much medication as needed to deal with it", accepting the side effects such as hypos, or somewhere in between.
You have to find your own way, with support from your Care team. You have the right to their help, but some are very hidebound or lack knowledge and will only accept one way of doing things.
Hana

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Carbs are not essential for your diet despite misinformation in the media. Fats can provide energy and so can proteins to some extent. Fats are to blame too much for the ills that carbs leave us. You can reduce carbs by having smaller portion sizes and avoiding foods that have too much sugar added. For example cakes do not have to have sugar added if you choose. My wife makes me a Molly cake (see web for recipe) that has no added sugar and relies on the fruit to provide it; yes this has carbs but at a lower level and also low-GI. So, take control when you enter the supermarket and remember they and the food industry are trying to overload you with sugar so read the labels and eat and drink what is suitable for you and not what they want to sell you. You should find that as your body gets used to fewer carbs and more fat it will adapt and the shakes will fade.

misterdj

Thanks for the reponse. My GP said exactly what you say hana. I can take the drugs and eat normally or i can change and reduce and try be drug free.

Ultimately i want to be drug free. So my try and do both and phase them out. i tend to take my time with changes - anything too drastic and i dont follow it through.

Cut down on my carb portions this week. its been a shock but getting used to it.