carbs

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can get rye bread from Sainsburys and Holland and barret I think they both do pumpanikle bread to. I don't do low carb as such be I keep and eye on my carbs
i got some pumpernickel bread from morrisons the other day to try, but as its the ins tore baked bread, it doesnt have a label to show how many carbs are in it :-( i will have a look in holland and barrett soon though! im miles away from asda and even further from sainsburys, but i do visit both shops occassionally :)

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
I gave up bread and I don't miss it. Which is surprising as it is so handy, always there, easy to pop into the toaster. It is easier for me to not eat bread
than to ration it.
I have the ingredients for the almond cheese bread recipe posted here and made plans to bake it, slice it then freeze it. The plan was to use a slice at a time, defrosting or toasting it. Then I realised, life is too short for fake bread. It would probably languish in the freezer when I forget to defrost my slice.

Reactions: 2 people

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I gave up bread and I don't miss it. Which is surprising as it is so handy, always there, easy to pop into the toaster. It is easier for me to not eat bread
than to ration it.
I have the ingredients for the almond cheese bread recipe posted here and made plans to bake it, slice it then freeze it. The plan was to use a slice at a time, defrosting or toasting it. Then I realised, life is too short for fake bread. It would probably languish in the freezer when I forget to defrost my slice.
haha!! that sounds sooo like me!!! i dont have time (or the inclination) to spend time making things like bread! im not good enough at cooking either! lol i can do meals, and a nice sponge cake.. but not things that take ages!! i have far too much to do in my life for that!
i am ok so far without bread, but i do want to try rye bread just so i can have it with some scrambled egg!!! lol

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
haha!! that sounds sooo like me!!! i dont have time (or the inclination) to spend time making things like bread! im not good enough at cooking either! lol i can do meals, and a nice sponge cake.. but not things that take ages!! i have far too much to do in my life for that!
i am ok so far without bread, but i do want to try rye bread just so i can have it with some scrambled egg!!! lol
@kazlincs I fully understand wanting bread with scrambled eggs which is why I have poached eggs for breakfast.

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
CiaoCarb Loaf of Bread, 300g

http://www.avidlite.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=ciaocarb&PN=CiaoCarb-Loaf-of-Bread-300g-ALK278.html#SID=24

NUTRITION INFORMATION per 100g (loaf is 300g):
138 kCal,
Protein 15.7g,
Carbohydrate 5.20g
of which sugars 1g,
Fibre 43g,
Fat 6g of which saturates 1g,
Sodium 0.45g

I use that bread for small bits of toast and small sandwiches - tastes good I think
lasts for months unopened and even in a airtight bag after opening

it does not spike me but I only do 2 slices at a time (4 carbs)

Edit - if you buy a few at a time its a lot cheaper from ...
http://www.iafstore.com/uk/ciaocarb/protobread-codp27884
but its import from Italy direct (seems reasonably speed)

Mean analysis Per 100g
Energy value 159Kcal / 665KJ
Protein 15,7g
Carbohydrates 10,5g
of which sugars 1,0g
Fats 6,0g
of which saturates 1,0g
Fibers 43,0g
Salt 0,45g

Last edited by a moderator:

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
CiaoCarb Loaf of Bread, 300g

http://www.avidlite.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=ciaocarb&PN=CiaoCarb-Loaf-of-Bread-300g-ALK278.html#SID=24

I use that bread for small bits of toast and small sandwiches - tastes good I think
lasts for months unopened and even in a airtaight bag after opening

NUTRITION INFORMATION per 100g (loaf is 300g): 138 kCal, Protein 15.7g, Carbohydrate 5.20g of which sugars 1g, Fibre 43g, Fat 6g of which saturates 1g, Sodium 0.45g.

it does not spike me but I only do 2 slices at a time (2 carbs)

Edit - its a lot cheaper from ...
http://www.iafstore.com/uk/ciaocarb/protobread-codp27884
but its import from Italy direct (seems reasonably speed)
£9.75 a loaf !!!! :(:mad::sorry:

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
£9.75 a loaf !!!! :(:mad::sorry:

yep its stupid and the loaves are small too

better buying from the other link its £6.50
but its just stupid ripoff - but tasts good and I have it as a treat

one loaf lasts me over a week as it does not go stale

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

one loaf lasts me a week as it does not go stale
If it goes stale you could use it to make a bread pudding !! :wacky:. At that price you can't waste it....:stop:

Reactions: 4 people

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

one loaf lasts me over a week as it does not go stale

i think i will stick to No bread at all!! far too many pennies! lol pumpernickel bread was ok at morrisons.. £1.99 but not a long life, as its baked instore.. a rare treat i think!!

Reactions: 7 people

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i think i will stick to No bread at all!! far too many pennies! lol pumpernickel bread was ok at morrisons.. £1.99 but not a long life, as its baked instore.. a rare treat i think!!

I might give that a go :¬)

Edit only one I could see on my Ocado was
Biona Organic Pumpernickel Bread Sliced 500g

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/produ...l&parentContainer=SEARCHpumpernickel_LISTVIEW

So hard to find low carb alternatives - I tried making my own but with my skills I couldn't even feed piglets with it or the RSPCA would have nabbed me :¬)

100g of which is
Energy 827kJ/196kcal
Fat 1.7g
of which Saturated Fatty Acids 0.2g
Carbohydrate 35.8g EEEEK! :¬):¬)
of which Sugars 4.0g
Fibre 9.6g
Protein 4.6g
Salt 1.00g

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I might give that a go :¬)

Edit only one I could see on my Ocado was

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/produ...l&parentContainer=SEARCHpumpernickel_LISTVIEW

So hard to find low carb alternatives - I tried making my own but with my skills I couldn't even feed piglets with it or the RSPCA would have nabbed me :¬)

100g of which is
Energy 827kJ/196kcal
Fat 1.7g
of which Saturated Fatty Acids 0.2g
Carbohydrate 35.8g EEEEK! :¬):¬)
of which Sugars 4.0g
Fibre 9.6g
Protein 4.6g
Salt 1.00g

Ahahahah!! thats hilarious!! i can cook basic stuff, but not things like bread! i dont have the patience either!!
my morrisons store make their own pumpernickel bread :) only tried it once, im hoping they have some tomorrow when i go shopping! :)

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
right.. its my birthday at the weekend... im having takeaway and a few drinks with friends and family at my house.. im working all weekend too!
so.. heres my plan for my takeaway.. what do you think?? low carb enough??!
Possibly a vegetable spring roll,
chicken and mushrooms in a gravy style sauce,
mushroom foo yung..
im going to be good at not have any rice or chips! (maybe steal a spoonful of rice from someone!) lol
im planing on having a good bit of cake.. (ive requested black forest gateau)
and ill be having a few malibu and pepsi max.. and maybe half a bottle of fruity cider, and amaretto and pepsi max :)
i wont be drinking too much as im working the next day, and im not a big drinker anyway!

soo. the food.. is that low carb ish??!!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
there are 2 schools of thought..would a celiac have a night off and eat gluten?. would an alcoholic say it's ok, it's xmas?
luckily I'm in the other school..I'd have the night off, I'd just make sure I'm on the wagon the next morning.

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
there are 2 schools of thought..would a celiac have a night off and eat gluten?. would an alcoholic say it's ok, it's xmas?
luckily I'm in the other school..I'd have the night off, I'd just make sure I'm on the wagon the next morning.

hahaha! i like your thinking although i think im being pretty good really!! i think the only bad thing i will have will be the cake! everything else isnt that bad really!! i dont have much malibu or amaretto in my coke either, so cant count that too much lol
i will be on my feet all day at work.. then ill be having a good walk with the dog before everyone turns up :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hahaha! i like your thinking although i think im being pretty good really!! i think the only bad thing i will have will be the cake! everything else isnt that bad really!! i dont have much malibu or amaretto in my coke either, so cant count that too much lol
i will be on my feet all day at work.. then ill be having a good walk with the dog before everyone turns up :)
ya can't make deals with yourself..you're gunna carb binge, it's not good for you... don't try to minimise it :)

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
For me @kazlincs, it has to be a strict regime. If I started to weaken my resolve because it is my birthday, Christmas, Easter, Valentine's Day, Anniversaries, weddings, Weekends, Wednesdays......my list of excuses could go on and on, I would not be able to stick with it.

We are all different, and you will know yourself better than anyone. However, I find, personally speaking that the occasional treat could very easily be the habitual norm. Instead I have to embrace a low carb diet as normal and not try to think of the carby foods as 'normal'. Low carb is the new normal.
I cannot help with Chinese takeaway as it is not my kind of food but instead of cake I would have strawberries and cream ( still feels special food to me).

Reactions: 5 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Kazlincs have a great birthday - it's not the end of the world if you have carb overload occasionally so enjoy your trip off the wagon and get back on tomorrow!