Caring doctors

St3v3p

Hello just a quick one. I was diagnosed with t2 3 weeks ago after attending doctors with high blood pressure. My question is what do doctors actually do to help? So here's my story, recieve a letter asking me to call doctors at 8am to arrange a phone consultation which I did the next day. Later on that day doctor calls saying I have t2 blood sugar or something 71 (can't remember what he called it) sending a script to my chemist for metformin take 1 for 1st week 2 2nd week 3 3rd week, I'll send you some info end of phone call. Then receive a text to nhs diabetes that's it. What do I expect going forward and when does the wind stop as I'm sure if it's not soon my wife will kill me before any illness lol

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Later on that day doctor calls saying I have t2 blood sugar or something 71 (can't remember what he called it)

That was probably your HbA1c level which shows the "average" of your blood sugar levels over the past 2-3 months. Your "average" was therefore about 11.2 mmol/l which I'm afraid is not good although for comparison mine was 87 mmol/mol when diagnosed.

Screenshot 2021-11-16 at 14.41.40.png

when does the wind stop

for me it stopped when I ditched the pills and changed what I ate.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum:)
I agree with @bulkbiker Diet is the key to controlling T2...and not the standard NHS advice either. Most of us T2s here lower our carb intake which helps immensely.

I am sorry your doctor wasn't more caring. However stick with us and you will find the advice you need, which will probably be much more effective than standard NHS advice.

My hubby went to the doctors with high BP. His results came back as fatty liver, which is often a precursor to T2.

I'll put a link to my recent post about it when I can

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m afraid that’s par for the course in the UK. If you are based here then I expect you will have an appointment with a Diabetes Nurse shortly, but unless you are very fortunate all she will be interested in is bean-counting and ticking her boxes. If you are very unfortunate she will advise you to eat as per the ‘Eatwell’ diet which is largely carb-based.

So it’s up to you to fix yourself. Good news is, if you are an ordinary T2 then there is a excellent chance to can manage this to normal blood glucose levels in a very short time, if you are prepared to change your diet and minimise the amount of carbs you eat. Oh, and probably be able to stop with the Metformin as well at that point! And you are in the right place for advice and help, in this forum.

Good luck!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't put the link in for some reason, but here's a copy of it

"Yes, it's confusing at first. It's the mix of carbs with fat that is the problem. If you low carb then having more fat (not trans fats) is fine.

There's a book called Eat Fat: Step by step guide to Low carb living(version 3) It's by Trudi Deakin and is available on Amazon. I used an earlier version to help me.

My non diabetic hubby had a high ALT liver test a month ago, indicating fatty liver. The ALT score should be less than 50 in his case. It was 123. I gave him a low carb diet and increased fats so that he wasn't hungry. I switched from full fat milk to double cream in his coffee etc.

One month on his test is now marked as 'borderline' at 59.

Oh and his BMI was 25 pre low carbing, so I was only aiming to cure the liver, not for overall weight loss.

At the beginning of the month I used an online calculator to work out his BMR so that I made sure this was a low carb not a low cal diet. I used MyFitnessPal to log his food so I knew he was having at least his recommended amount of calories daily. Some days he had more. Every day was higher calorie than his normal diet.

He has lost 10 pounds without even trying. This is proof to me that dietary fats don't make you fat. It's the carbs you have with it that do the damage.

Now, most of us here know that T2s are carb intolerant. It seems carbs aren't great for nondiabetcs either. Hubby's pre low carb HbA1c was 32. That hasn't been retested as it was perfectly normal. He loves the new diet and won't be reverting to his carb laden one anytime soon.

Edit: I aimed for around 80g carbs daily. The lowest daily count was 60g and the highest was 135, but most days 80 - 100g was what was achieved."

It's early days yet but it looks like his BP has responded well too. The top figure has been around 15-20 points lower for the last 4 days, but obviously we need to monitor this for a bit longer to be sure.