Carnivore Corner

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just read the whole thread and am drooling...
Off to a newly-discovered old-style butchers, with an abattoir right next door, again tomorrow as I'm pretty much out. I hope they have some pig skin as I like it fried for scratchings as a snack whilst my meal is cooking.
One question, peeps. Anyone get sore gums doing strict carny? I've not found a solution other than reintroducing fried veg.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone else going to sign-up for (metaphorically rather than literally) World Carnivore Month in January? I’ve been deviating too much and need to get back on the fully carnivore wagon. Would be good to have some company.

Reactions: Lotties

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone else going to sign-up for (metaphorically rather than literally) World Carnivore Month in January? I’ve been deviating too much and need to get back on the fully carnivore wagon. Would be good to have some company.

Sure thing..
I'm thinking of starting out with a hard dry fast for 30 hours on new years day so might be a bit grumpy...you have been warned!

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in; what the heck? Still time to get rid of the avocados, celery and zucchinis. The onions and lemons can stay
With the proviso, I'm starting with a 4-5 days low protein (800cal) or water fast.
Keep me on track !!

Reactions: Goonergal

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One question, peeps. Anyone get sore gums doing strict carny? I've not found a solution other than reintroducing fried veg.

Vitamin C?

not necessary for strict carnivores, but for ketoers and those with more variety (carbwise) it can come in useful

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm just pondering a carnivore diet. I've tried lchf for months and, although I feel a lot better than I used to, it hasn't helped in terms of BG or weight. I also tried intermittent fasting and very low calories. Some improvement in weight (not much) but I can't keep up the very low calories. Still IF most of the time. Just recently I've wondered if the low carb veg I've been eating are actually doing harm - serious gastric effects, and wonder if a carnivore diet would help matters. There is no doctor anywhere near where I live who is willing to approve, even the diet I have been on, never mind cutting out veg as well.

I am long term T2 and on insulin (long and short acting). Also on blood pressure and thyroid medication. I can see the potential hazards, but think it might still be worth a try. But I wonder about vitamins and minerals. Would it be necessary to take any kind of supplement?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just pondering a carnivore diet. I've tried lchf for months and, although I feel a lot better than I used to, it hasn't helped in terms of BG or weight. I also tried intermittent fasting and very low calories. Some improvement in weight (not much) but I can't keep up the very low calories. Still IF most of the time. Just recently I've wondered if the low carb veg I've been eating are actually doing harm - serious gastric effects, and wonder if a carnivore diet would help matters. There is no doctor anywhere near where I live who is willing to approve, even the diet I have been on, never mind cutting out veg as well.

I am long term T2 and on insulin (long and short acting). Also on blood pressure and thyroid medication. I can see the potential hazards, but think it might still be worth a try. But I wonder about vitamins and minerals. Would it be necessary to take any kind of supplement?

I feel better on carni than on veg. Though after 2 years of carni, my guts now tolerate veg better than they did.

regarding vits and mins... I suggest you do some reading. there are more and more blogs, websites, podcasts and articles out there. I believe @Goonergal gave you some links on the wdyet thread. Carnivores fall into a variety of viewpoints on the subject. A spectrum. From ‘all you need is steak!’ thinking, right through to ‘a careful balance of protein sources, balancing fats, fish oils, roe, marrow and liver...’

i fall into the second camp. And I also take a few supplements - but then my body has a well established history of not absorbing enough of some really important vits and mins, so I err on the side of caution.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Annb Welcome to this thread! I’m a liberal carnivore - anything animal based goes, so all meat, fish, eggs, dairy. I’d love to incorporate organ meat but so far haven’t managed to develop a taste for it. As with all ways of eating it’s a case of finding what works for you.

I supplement with potassium and magnesium - need the electrolytes as I cramp easily; vitamin d3 (with k2 to aid absorption of the d3) and folate as I came up deficient in that in a vitamin panel. And I add plenty of pink Himalayan salt to my meat.

Editing to tag @Tophat1900 and @Kristin251 (if you’re still around, Kristin) as other insulin users that pop up on this thread and may be able to advise from that angle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Annb and Brunneria

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As well as January being World Carnivore Month, the Public Health Collaboration are promoting Organuary - a month of incorporating organ meats into the diet. See: http://organuary.com/

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As well as January being World Carnivore Month, the Public Health Collaboration are promoting Organuary - a month of incorporating organ meats into the diet. See: http://organuary.com/
I don't need encouragement here but I'll cheer on any slackers, oops peeps, who think of kidneys, liver & tongue like I view brussels sprouts!!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to World Carnivore Month! Thinking of setting up a new thread for that - what do others think?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Channel 4 tonight 8/1/20 George Monbiot documentary Apocalypse Cow. airing at 22:00 GMT in UK