World Carnivore Month 2020

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb @bulkbiker @Lotties thought I’d start a separate thread for this.

May not post every day, but helpful to have a dedicated space for the month, I think. Will cross reference from Carnivore Corner.

Ate lunch on the go today - cone of cured meats; then oxtail for dinner.

46454E85-BED4-459B-BCDA-4A046BC534B5.jpeg
A8274E48-FB1F-45FC-A469-F1E8CD0F2CDE.jpeg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll second that.. The oxtail looks lovely..

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OMAD today. Chicken wings + chilli flakes and lime juice. :D

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some posts have been deleted for derailment and not respecting the dietary choices of others. This thread is for discussion of those participating in or interested in World Carnivore Month. Please respect that.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
@Annb @bulkbiker @Lotties thought I’d start a separate thread for this.

May not post every day, but helpful to have a dedicated space for the month, I think. Will cross reference from Carnivore Corner.

Ate lunch on the go today - cone of cured meats; then oxtail for dinner.

View attachment 37553 View attachment 37554
That oxtail looks moorish, I would definitely clean the bones and plate. If you are reading this and have never had this, get an expert to cook it for you so that your first experience lives up to what it should.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Goonergirl!
How are you finding it? Do you find it okay to eat just meat or are you craving veggies. I think I may give this a go for a week at least to see how my blood sugars respond in the run up to my next hba1c and possibly to shock my doctors when I see them. I anticipate that my cholesterol may lower according to the Feldman protocol..
In a spirit of trying to connect with those I disagree with I hope to be open to hear the experiences of all those trying Carnivory or Veganary, Remainers and Leavers alike.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been carni for over 2 years now.
How time flies! ;)
My guts have recovered enough nowadays to tolerate a few veg occasionally which gives me a nice bit of flexibility when I want it, but somehow I always drop them again, mainly through lack of interest in greenery and a pleasure in the meat, fish, eggs, cheese and animal fats that I do want to eat.

Today I have bone broth for breakfast, some homemade chicken liver pate defrosting (to eat with a spoon) for lunch, and some homemade pork, garlic and herb sausage meat which I will cook tomorrow with chicken.

Interesting that they are promoting organ meat this month too.

a nice reminder for me to make some ‘Awful’ Offal Soup again. It’s fab. Tastes like steak and kidney pie in a bowl.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Goonergirl!
How are you finding it? Do you find it okay to eat just meat or are you craving veggies. I think I may give this a go for a week at least to see how my blood sugars respond in the run up to my next hba1c and possibly to shock my doctors when I see them. I anticipate that my cholesterol may lower according to the Feldman protocol..
In a spirit of trying to connect with those I disagree with I hope to be open to hear the experiences of all those trying Carnivory or Veganary, Remainers and Leavers alike.

Hi @NicoleC1971

I love it - have been toying with carnivore since this time last year. Don’t crave veggies at all - my downfall is always nuts, nut butters, 85%+ chocolate and the like. This is an attempt to wean myself off those as while my blood sugars are fine, my weight is not!

When I’m full on carni (I include all animal related products) I feel great!

Let us know how you get on.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you cook the oxtail? It looks delicious.

Lucy, this was cooked in an Instant Pot pressure cooker. However, that is a new acquisition and previously I’d always used my slow cooker - bit of liquid (just a bit, preferably juices/stock left from a previous dish; enough to cover the bottom of the slow cooker then bung the oxtail in, having browned it first, and leave on low for 11 hours. Sure it would work in a conventional oven too, but not sure how long you’d need to cook it. Seasonings as you wish.

For any instant potters, I sautéed on high, then pressure cooked for 55 minutes and used natural pressure release.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That oxtail looks moorish, I would definitely clean the bones and plate. If you are reading this and have never had this, get an expert to cook it for you so that your first experience lives up to what it should.

@Goonergal is her own expert - especially where oxtail is concerned. :):):)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my, I’ve just gone to heaven. Went to the butcher to pick up an order and spotted him chucking chicken skins away. He gave me 3 for free and having been out longer than intended this morning, planned lunch was going to take waaay too long for one so hungry.

Out with the air fryer, in with two cut up and salted chicken skins. 20 minutes later, deliciousness, with some added chicken liver terrine that was discounted in Waitrose.

Am going to have to negotiate with the butcher for future supplies of those skins.

C7724DB3-EB95-4784-BE54-F08A7A4A936C.jpeg
750EBFCE-98F5-4D44-B5BA-DDB30807ADA8.jpeg

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Chicken skins looks amazing! Droooooollll...
....dribble.
Fasting today. Blew the first day on New year's day as a not so small amount of sneaky carb gave me the munchies.I won't mention the indiscretion but it involved artificial raspberries, 3 bars. Corned beef and a well-aged steak not so bad though. It's made fasting today a bit harder as work is still full of Xmas foodstuffs.
Try getting some pigskin too that they trim from hams. I cut it and fry with salt for scratchings. Also free along with feet for jelly. And Tesco have started selling chicken liver!

Last edited:
Reactions: Goonergal

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chicken skins looks amazing! Droooooollll...
....dribble.
Fasting today. Blew the first day on New year's day as a not so small amount of sneaky carb gave me the munchies.I won't mention the indiscretion but it involved artificial raspberries, 3 bars. Corned beef and a well-aged steak not so bad though. It's made fasting today a bit harder as work is still full of Xmas foodstuffs.
Try getting some pigskin too that they trim from hams. I cut it and fry with salt for scratchings. Also free along with feet for jelly. And Tesco have started selling chicken liver!

Tescos have always sold chicken liver. I’ve been buying it for 20+ years. Either fresh and vacuum sealed or frozen in tubs.

lovely stuff. It’s been part of my cooking since I discovered the wonderfully low price back in my student days :hilarious:

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tescos have always sold chicken liver. I’ve been buying it for 20+ years. Either fresh and vacuum sealed or frozen in tubs.

lovely stuff. It’s been part of my cooking since I discovered the wonderfully low price back in my student days :hilarious:
Wow! I've been missing out. I only found it this Xmas. DOH! Any recipes for pate?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Oh my, I’ve just gone to heaven. Went to the butcher to pick up an order and spotted him chucking chicken skins away. He gave me 3 for free and having been out longer than intended this morning, planned lunch was going to take waaay too long for one so hungry.

Out with the air fryer, in with two cut up and salted chicken skins. 20 minutes later, deliciousness, with some added chicken liver terrine that was discounted in Waitrose.

Am going to have to negotiate with the butcher for future supplies of those skins.

View attachment 37568 View attachment 37569
I am not sue I can continue to read this thread..., I appreciate how those with carb addiction feel. luckily it is dinner time of 2 sirloin steaks with mushrooms and onions. But those skins.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! I've been missing out. I only found it this Xmas. DOH! Any recipes for pate?

:D
my recipe for chicken liver pate is blindingly quick and easy.
All quantities adjustable.

chicken livers
Butter or cream cheese
Garlic, onion, herbs, red wine, sherry, paprika or whatever seasonings you like (not all at once!)

if you are using garlic and onions, chop and sweat them in a heavy frying pan til cooked (translucent or caramelised - your choice)
Add livers, and other seasonings. Cook over a lowish heat til livers cooked (but not overcooked!)
Add cream cheese or butter - to taste. Quantities depend on whether you want keto macros, or not. I aim for 1 part butter to 3 parts liver.

blend till velvet smooth.
Cool
Eat.

freezes well.

absolutely no need for extra steps, or other phaff.

Reactions: Damtov8