Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This would probably be my death knell. All the vegan/vegetarian foods seem to depend on carbohydrates for their bulk and/or cohesion.

Reactions: Flora123

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This would probably be my death knell. All the vegan/vegetarian foods seem to depend on carbohydrates for their bulk and/or cohesion.
Not only vegan/vegetarian. A lot of processed meat-containing ready meals and preprepared foodstuffs too.
I now know that 'cook your own food' & 'eat green veges' was great advice that I didn't take consistently until recently.
Stodge is stodge whatever spin you put on the marketing.

Reactions: Barb McD

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Obviously we will probably lose our porcine insulin and have to convert to a synthetic analog. I think T2D will need to go straight onto insulin treatment from DX, since it will become apparent that there are no diet alterntives once the climate change legislation kicks in mandating a vegetarian diet on all. If we kill the demand for animal products, then we kill off the animals - simple economics.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Not only vegan/vegetarian. A lot of processed meat-containing ready meals and preprepared foodstuffs too.
I now know that 'cook your own food' & 'eat green veges' was great advice that I didn't take consistently until recently.
Stodge is stodge whatever spin you put on the marketing.

That's one of the reasons I never buy preprepared meals. The other is that they taste awful anyway. The only things I do buy are sausages, once in a while, but I'm working on making my own.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yum yum. Lamb breast flavoured with garlic, thyme and lemon zest.

46445C55-3B04-416E-8A21-2E22F5D50E54.jpeg

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Grr BBC1 pushing the low-fat and make sure it's not saturated fat again.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Scientists aiming to completely replace animal protein by manufacturing it from thin air
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51019798

I wonder how many esential nutrients it will provide for us. How many of the amino acides it supplies.

I just watched the programme and I was appalled by the one sided bias! I know that this was the view of one person/team but where was the research into the products that would need to be brought in? Where was the countering argument? (The Welsh dairy farmer tried, but wasn't given much of an opportunity to make any substantive points.) I daresay that plenty of artificially produced nutrients could be added to the artificially produced food but who knows what the long term health effects of those would be?

What would happen to all those farm animals and wild ones currently essential to the food chain? Would they all have to be slaughtered? And then, presumably, incinerated (as in the foot and mouth epidemic of recent memory) because as an enforced vegan society it would probably be illegal to eat them.

It's all very well to declare that "scientists" can do this but no mention of peer reviewed scientific papers being published, or of other scientists being able to either replicate or scale up the claimed results.

With the world demanding more and more electricity for fuel, I don't know if it would be possible to provide sufficient power to produce food out of the air, as well as enough to stop us burning oil and gas to keep homes warm, food refrigerated/frozen, cars and public transport running etc.

There is land on this planet which will not grow crops, or even trees. Must it then be left to grow peat bogs (well, yes they are supposed to be useful in absorbing CO2,I know). In the Hebrides our land is so cold and wet and the climate so poor that nothing much grows, other than peat, grass and heather. Some trees do struggle to survive, but they don't last very long - the soil is too shallow and badly drained. And then there are the deserts.

I do hope that Channel 4 will put on another programme to refute the statements put forward in this one.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Impossible Foods have as their mission statement their ultimate goal of replacing ALL animal protein with their product throughtout the world. Their product is known to be nutrient deficient, but they could bolster it up I suppose. One aspect has been bought to my attention where their product could be injurious to us, but no one is talking about it, is the amount of salt and iron in their products. It is a known fact that the body can accumulate too much iron with fatal results. The added leghaemoglobin they synthesise and the salt they add to the meatless products is significantly above the RDA of both of those nutrients, So a single Impossible burger is already overdosing us. Given now that they are offering double Whoppers, then the overload becomes a real problem. We need to discuss this and get the message out. These products are harmful. But Impossible Foods are martketing these fake products as being signifcantly more healthy than the products that are being selfied in this thread..

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/why-too-much-iron-is-harmful

Gazzamius

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Impossible Foods have as their mission statement their ultimate goal of replacing ALL animal protein with their product throughtout the world. Their product is known to be nutrient deficient, but they could bolster it up I suppose. One aspect has been bought to my attention where their product could be injurious to us, but no one is talking about it, is the amount of salt and iron in their products. It is a known fact that the body can accumulate too much iron with fatal results. The added leghaemoglobin they synthesise and the salt they add to the meatless products is significantly above the RDA of both of those nutrients, So a single Impossible burger is already overdosing us. Given now that they are offering double Whoppers, then the overload becomes a real problem. We need to discuss this and get the message out. These products are harmful. But Impossible Foods are martketing these fake products as being signifcantly more healthy than the products that are being selfied in this thread..

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/why-too-much-iron-is-harmful
Hi Isn't it always the way, when your young you believe anything these so called scientists throw at you. THEN you reach an age when you see the "Scientists" open their mouths and you KNOW they are lying. that's the problem with youth ..... NO wisdom. that's the over 60's domain. you start to listen to your body creaking and falling apart and experiment with different ways of making your ailments a little more easy on yourself. since i became type 2, i read many books on nutrition and doctors telling me to cut out fat and eat a high carb low fat diet. i piled on the pounds. then a certain Mr Atkins came along a i was intrigued to find this anti establishment way of eating. the media bombarding people with the negativity of high fat ways of eating. I personally threw in the towel with high carb and decided i will give this a try, WHAT did i have to lose, except weight .....(pun intended) I never looked back. my weight fell my health is improving day by day. the neuropathy in my feet has subsided to a level that's more than bearable. my Hba1c is 6.5..... all i can say is on a finishing note. BACON LIVES. good day all. regards Gaz

Post edited by moderator to remove inappropriate comments

Last edited by a moderator:

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Roaming YouTube i came across this by Dr Noakes.
Such a persuasive argument in a very dense format.
It would've saved me hours of listening.

I'm not going to bother about reversing my IR and plan to knuckle down to <25g of carbs for life - by happy accident that was my first foray into low-carb.
No way I can do <25g by being a veggie.

Reactions: Barb McD and ByeBye

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Isn't it always the way, when your young you believe anything these so called scientists throw at you.

THEN you reach an age when you see the "Scientists" open their mouths and you KNOW they are lying. that's the problem with youth ..... NO wisdom.

that's the over 60's domain. you start to listen to your body creaking and falling apart and experiment with different ways of making your ailments a little more easy on yourself.

since i became type 2, i read many books on nutrition and doctors telling me to cut out fat and eat a high carb low fat diet. i piled on the pounds.

* then a certain Mr Atkins came along a i was intrigued to find this anti establishment way of eating. the media bombarding people with the negativity of high fat ways of eating.

I personally threw in the towel with high carb and decided i will give this a try,
WHAT did i have to lose, except weight .....(pun intended)

I never looked back. my weight fell my health is improving day by day.

all i can say is on a finishing note. BACON LIVES. good day all. regards Gaz

Post edited by moderator to remove inappropriate comments

Certainly agree with most of that @Gazzamius

the fact we have too look deeper as the creaks and groans show up more regularly, sum s it up nicely.

(apart from the mr atkins* (i came via the forum to LCHF)..)

sure some young uns listen, but it gets real, REAL quick :woot:.. when it's directly affecting our day to day lives,
rather then a... "in 20 years time you could.."..type fashion.

I too lost weight, improved all my blood metrics AND got healthier then i have been for years..
while eating a diet that Could, Would, Should kill me...Lol..

medical miracle, me :D.....if wasn't for all the millions of other copycats out there...:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

so Viva La Bacon.
Long may it reign.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Roaming YouTube i came across this by Dr Noakes.
Such a persuasive argument in a very dense format.
It would've saved me hours of listening.

BRILLIANT Video.
Hit so many notes i thought already, and pointed me to many others i need to go watch for.

Great Post..thank you so much :happy:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Second HbA1c while eating carnivore...
First was 26.8 mmol/m Oct 2019.......... last one 14 Jan 2020 26.8 mmol/m
I'm amazed at the consistency!
Waiting for the panic call from the doc re cholesterol though!

Reactions: Gazzamius