Carnivore Corner

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies @bulkbiker @Goonergal @Brunneria I’m feeling a little less worried about it now. The 2 meatrx.com testimonials were encouraging. Good point too about JF being a nephrologist but then LCHF and keto advocate moderate protein, not high protein.
I think the point about watching for dark urine is a good one, and you’ve all mentioned in previous posts the importance of keeping up the water intake. I think that’ll be key for me as well.
I like your idea of one or 2 smaller meals in addition to a main meal @Brunneria I think I’d be less likely to overdo the lean meat type of protein that way. I’m looking forward to a lot of red meat but swapping out for fish and lighter proteins is a good plan too.

Thanks all for the validation of carni coffee too.

Hotpepper20000

I started 2021 with a plate of bacon.:):)

I do like my salad, but I’ve been have problems with my joints so going to try Carnivore for a bit.

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started 2021 with a plate of bacon.:):)

I do like my salad, but I’ve been have problems with my joints so going to try Carnivore for a bit.

My arthritis is much better on carnivore or mostly carnivore. Hope it works for you.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sirloin steak for me tonight beautifully tender from the air fryer. It is getting lots of attention from the dogs but they are allergic to beef so I will have to finish it all by my self

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a few small pieces of the leftover beef from yesterday as a small lunch - was very peckish in returning from this morning’s walk and the main meal was 3+ hours away. That was roasted lamb shoulder. Delicious.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I’m eating too much cheese. Lunch yesterday was just 2 airfried chicken thighs. Should have cooked 6 and not bothered with dinner. Dinner was cheese and salami. We still have loads of cheese leftover from Christmas so it seems wasteful not to eat it.
Today I’ll be sticking to meat though I think and with any luck fbg will be better. I know you’ve mentioned BGs are higher if you eat a lot of cheese @Goonergal

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Chicken Drumsticks for me yesterday and burgers today. I am trying to use up some of the contents of the freezer which was stocked up in case of Berxit no deal /lockdown /Covid / Christmas do I have lots of meat and fish to get through.
Like you @DJC3 The salad drawer of the fridge is full to overflowing with cheese I may end up freezing it.

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t know you could freeze cheese, @DJC3 . I’ve got a couple of blocks I bought fir Xmas and haven’t opened.

I know @bulkbiker is updating his progress in his blog. I’m not measuring etc more than once a month, but was pleasantly surprised when I did my ‘MOT’ yesterday that I was 1.2kg lighter than in 1st December, despite Xmas excesses. That said, I’ve put a lot of weight on this year, so it’s just as well. Blood pressure also improved.

@Bildad I’m using up freezer contents too. Beef short rib due shortly!

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea if cheese freezes well but it has 2 chances. Google suggests that it is possible. There is no way I will eat it all before it grows a green fur coat so it is either freeze or throw and I was brought up not to waste food so I will try freezing it. It will fill the little bit if space I have just made in the freezer!

Hotpepper20000

I have no idea if cheese freezes well but it has 2 chances. Google suggests that it is possible. There is no way I will eat it all before it grows a green fur coat so it is either freeze or throw and I was brought up not to waste food so I will try freezing it. It will fill the little bit if space I have just made in the freezer!
If it’s a hard cheese it might be easier to freeze if you grate it first.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I freeze cheese and chunks of pancetta. Chuck a chunk in a pan for stew for extra depth of flavour. Likewise, cheese rind should not be thrown away.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking of freezing the excess cheese too @Bildad and I think I’ve read somewhere that grated hard cheese is ok to freeze, thanks for the reminder @Hotpepper20000
I’m gradually getting the hang of this carnivore life. It does sort of simplify things.
Brunch of bacon and eggs. Dinner of steak with blue cheese crumbled on top.
Steak was rump, quite large but probably under 1” thick. Cooked sous vide for 1 hr at 56C disappointingly a bit chewier than I’d expected.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've done it (oddly this time last year with excess xmas cheese). It certainly preserves it but does change the texture when thawed out and eaten.. I wasn't a fan of the post freeze cheese to be honest bit of a gritty texture.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess it will be a suck it and see scenario. Most of the cheese will be used in cooking in dishes like @Goonergal mince and cheese dish.
I also find this way of eating to be simple but also very tasty. How it will affect my BG, weight etc.

Reactions: Goonergal and DJC3

Hotpepper20000

I've done it (oddly this time last year with excess xmas cheese). It certainly preserves it but does change the texture when thawed out and eaten.. I wasn't a fan of the post freeze cheese to be honest bit of a gritty texture.
I agree. I don’t the cheese raw after freezing it. But it’s good cooked.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not the food I expected to have today. Bought a slab of pork belly for dinner, bunged in a low oven but didn’t check the temperature - it was too low so by dinner time it wasn’t done enough. Left it a few more hours and we’ll have it tomorrow by which time it should melt like butter. ( made bacon cheeseburgers for dinner instead)
Also bought a joint of brisket. I Don’t normally like this cut but I’m keen to see if my new toy- the sous vide stick, can make it tender without being dry. It’s on now and set to cook for 48hr, so that’s Wednesday’s supper sorted.
No more cooking for a few days!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cold leftovers for lunch here - beef rib and lamb shoulder. Dinner was air fried pork belly pieces and chicken wings.
@DJC3 I managed to get moist and tender brisket last time. Can’t remember how now, think it was in the IP - had always found it dry before but this was delicious.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not tried brisket but as I have neither a sous vide stick nor an IP. perhaps it is not the cut for me. Today I have had a couple of chicken thighs and some mince a la @Goonergal but with mushrooms rather than onion.