Carnivore Corner

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cold leftovers for lunch here - beef rib and lamb shoulder. Dinner was air fried pork belly pieces and chicken wings.
@DJC3 I managed to get moist and tender brisket last time. Can’t remember how now, think it was in the IP - had always found it dry before but this was delicious.

Please let me know if you remember. I’m sure it’ll be great if it’s done right.
Just had a look at the pork belly, I’ve taken the skin off and I’ll air fry that tomorrow to crackle up nicely. The meat I’ve wrapped in foil and will reheat. Had to have a bit to test - didn’t need a knife, it just fell onto my fork, wonderful. I think it had about 10hrs in the end at around 130C

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not the food I expected to have today. Bought a slab of pork belly for dinner, bunged in a low oven but didn’t check the temperature - it was too low so by dinner time it wasn’t done enough. Left it a few more hours and we’ll have it tomorrow by which time it should melt like butter. ( made bacon cheeseburgers for dinner instead)
Also bought a joint of brisket. I Don’t normally like this cut but I’m keen to see if my new toy- the sous vide stick, can make it tender without being dry. It’s on now and set to cook for 48hr, so that’s Wednesday’s supper sorted.
No more cooking for a few days!
I find that temperature makes a lot of difference in the dryness of sous vide cooking.. what temp are you doing the brisket?
My only attempt was a disaster.. way too dry had a bag full of juices and some tasteless dry meat.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please let me know if you remember. I’m sure it’ll be great if it’s done right.
Just had a look at the pork belly, I’ve taken the skin off and I’ll air fry that tomorrow to crackle up nicely. The meat I’ve wrapped in foil and will reheat. Had to have a bit to test - didn’t need a knife, it just fell onto my fork, wonderful. I think it had about 10hrs in the end at around 130C

This is the post where I talked about it. And I’m assuming that the attached from CMT is what I based it on - not fully carnivore, but it was way nicer than when I tried slow cooking and always had dry meat.

Attachments

• 5BCD8A29-40BE-496A-B0AF-19C414F70B22.png
    5BCD8A29-40BE-496A-B0AF-19C414F70B22.png
    710 KB · Views: 219
Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that temperature makes a lot of difference in the dryness of sous vide cooking.. what temp are you doing the brisket?
My only attempt was a disaster.. way too dry had a bag full of juices and some tasteless dry meat.

Oh blimey I’ve probably ruined it then! I’m doing it at 66C - someone on the fb group said 62 for slicing and 68 for pulled beef type of texture.
That’ll be a real shame if I’ve waited 2 days for dry meat.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the post where I talked about it. And I’m assuming that the attached from CMT is what I based it on - not fully carnivore, but it was way nicer than when I tried slow cooking and always had dry meat.

Ah thanks if the sous vide method is a fail ( and it sounds like it might be) I try this and give brisket one last go.

Reactions: Goonergal

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh blimey I’ve probably ruined it then! I’m doing it at 66C - someone on the fb group said 62 for slicing and 68 for pulled beef type of texture.
You might be lucky ...I can't remember the temp I cooked mine at fingers crossed but let us know anyway..

Hotpepper20000

If it is dry, take little bacon fat and some bone bone broth, warm it up and drizzle over the sliced before eating. Better then eating dry meat!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it is dry, take little bacon fat and some bone bone broth, warm it up and drizzle over the sliced before eating. Better then eating dry meat!

Good idea thanks. I have some bacon fat saved from the weekend. I was going to cook roast spuds in it for the rest of the family but they’ll just have to have mash.

DeadlyCatch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Veg !
Hi all, thanks to @bulkbiker for pointing me over here. Long story short, my blood results are through the roof and really really need to get my eating in order. Sadly I have always been a "Meat & Spuds" (every day, meat and spuds!) kind of food guy, usually topped off with a couple of white bread rolls! So you see, its time I kicked that habit as much as it pains me to do so a little.. With HBA1C of 112 i have little choice!

So I a fussy/phobic eater (generally a phobia of Veg and anything with odd textures!). But I love meat, and to a lesser extent fish, hence @bulkbiker sent me here. I am not very well educated on what i can and cant eat to be honest, heard of Keto, looked at it once and thought "**** no, its mostly green veg!".

So if you've the time, give me an idea of a meaty diet thats safe for Type 2 and may help lower my sugars, and also drop some stone! Dont think ive only ever come across a meat that I dont like yet, so yes def a carnivore!

My only concern of a meaty diet, is of course the cost? Sadly financials arent good, especially thanks to the dreaded Covid..

PS: Is there an initiation ceremony for Carni Club ?

Hotpepper20000

Hi all, thanks to @bulkbiker for pointing me over here. Long story short, my blood results are through the roof and really really need to get my eating in order. Sadly I have always been a "Meat & Spuds" (every day, meat and spuds!) kind of food guy, usually topped off with a couple of white bread rolls! So you see, its time I kicked that habit as much as it pains me to do so a little.. With HBA1C of 112 i have little choice!

So I a fussy/phobic eater (generally a phobia of Veg and anything with odd textures!). But I love meat, and to a lesser extent fish, hence @bulkbiker sent me here. I am not very well educated on what i can and cant eat to be honest, heard of Keto, looked at it once and thought "**** no, its mostly green veg!".

So if you've the time, give me an idea of a meaty diet thats safe for Type 2 and may help lower my sugars, and also drop some stone! Dont think ive only ever come across a meat that I dont like yet, so yes def a carnivore!

My only concern of a meaty diet, is of course the cost? Sadly financials arent good, especially thanks to the dreaded Covid..

PS: Is there an initiation ceremony for Carni Club ?
Any meat you can afford and crave is ok. Usually the cheaper cuts have a better fat/ protein ratios. Lamb, beef,duck, chicken thighs, and all the offal you want. Eggs are cheap and great for carnivore.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, almost sounds like a dream diet, what's the catch? haha

:D
The ‘catch’ is that if you go carni, ditch the veg, and then stray back into carbs while still not vegging, then you end up with a v unhealthy way of eating. Carni only works if you actually, properly, committedly and consistently stick to it.

oh, and welcome. :):):)

Reactions: DeadlyCatch

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DeadlyCatch and welcome.

My version of carni means anything derived from animal sources - so any meat, fish, eggs, cheese, butter, cream. Plus onions, LOL! I love onions and won’t give them up.

Can be as cheap or as extravagant as you like - no need for top cuts of steak, minced beef (the 20% fat type), eggs and other cheap protein sources will do the job just as well. And the fattier - read tastier - cuts of meat are the cheapest too. If you like it then offal is very nutritious and also more economical.

Some of my staples are:

- Minced beef fried with onions and a couple of eggs, with some cheese mixed in. This can be adapted in all sorts of ways. Try corned beef in place of mince too.
- Pork belly strips (Asda ones are good), cut into pieces and air fried.
- Chicken wings, air fried.
- Beef short ribs, slow cooked or slow roasted.
- Lamb ribs, air fried.
- Lamb shoulder slow roasted or slow cooked.

I didn’t start out carni, kind of wound up here after starting out keto. My HbA1c wasn’t much lower than yours (108), so it’s definitely possible to get it down.

Good luck!

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DeadlyCatch and welcome.
I am another one who started out Keto but gravitated to Carni. In the almost 2 years of this way of eating I have managed to drop about 4.5 stones through diet alone (I really dislike any form of exercise) I have also managed to come off all of my medication (not only for diabetes but for migraines too.)
Like @Goonergal I also eat anything animal derived but exchange the onions for mushrooms! I am also sugar and sweetener free but do drink lots of decaf coffee.
This is a way of eating that is reasonably easy to adapt to your likes and dislikes and your pocket too.
Tonight I had high meat content sausage, bacon, eggs and of course mushrooms!
There are lots of knowledgeable and helpful people on here who will point you in the right direction and offer words of wisdom and cooking tips.
There are on occasion picture to drool over.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For those that eat cheese, I just read on the zero carb fb group -when you’re making a burger, put a Baby Bell inside it before cooking.
What a great idea.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not very well educated on what i can and cant eat to be honest
Anything that came from something with a face.
Any meat, fish, dairy(some people have trouble with it but most are ok) .
There's some people who start off with the ultimate elimination diet of beef and water only,. That can be all steaks or just as easily home made burgers.
I tend to go for some of the cheaper cuts of other meats.. pork belly, beef short ribs, lamb shoulder and slow cook them in stock to retain moisture then maybe a quick blast on the barbecue to crisp up the exterior (yes even in December)..
Today for dinner I had sliced salt beef, streaky bacon and fried eggs.
Yesterday beef stew with some cold leftover sirloin steak.
Poached chicken breasts are another, cooled in chicken stock then skin browned in the oven to crisp it up.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reporting back after a few days MIA from the forum, although definitely not from World Carnivore Month. Have just recorded my highest ketone reading in quite some time. Likely well over a year - 2.4.

This week has seen 2 OMAD days. The first on Wednesday was unintentional - ate a couple of air fried pork belly strips for lunch and just wasn’t hungry again. Following day ended up busy at work and had a late lunch of chicken wings/Halloumi before heading out walking in the evening so no dinner again. Salami/chorizo for lunch and a burger with bacon and cheese for dinner yesterday with steak, eggs and bacon for lunch today followed by air fried lamb ribs for dinner. Feeling strangely hungry despite decent sized meals but very happy about the ketones!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great about the ketones @Goonergal I haven’t had a reading above 0.5 for ages.
I’m still managing to stay 99% carni and finding it simplifies life a lot but I’m going to have to add some spices soon I think.
I forgot to post about the sous vide brisket the other day: 48 hrs started at 66C but reduced to 60C after @bulkbiker ‘s experience made me worry it’d be dry. It was pretty good though, family all said they really enjoyed it too.
This evening we had a 1.3kg boned rolled rib of beef cooked sous vide for 5 hr at 55C then covered with Mayo and seared with a blowtorch and cut into 3 thick steaks. Photo hopefully attached. Please excuse the mushrooms I couldn’t resist ( @Bildad will understand!)
IMG_1610231611.381751.jpg