Cataract

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, anyone know if having cataract removed one wouldn't need to get screening for retinopathy?
Cataracts are not the same as retinopathy. You would still need your regular diabetic eye checks.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Cataracts are not the same as retinopathy. You would still need your regular diabetic eye checks.

Indeed, last time I had a retinopathy check they complained that they couldn't photography right eye properly through the developing cataract and told me that they would put me on the list for cataract surgery. :)

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Indeed, last time I had a retinopathy check they complained that they couldn't photography right eye properly through the developing cataract and told me that they would put me on the list for cataract surgery. :)

That is what they said to me too, yet to me, it doesn't seem like an issue. Are you going to have it done as soon as they offer it?

D

Deleted member 543160

I have a long term cataract in on eye and had cataract surgery in the other as part of another problem, both many years before being diagnosed as T2.
Since then, I've had regular eye screening as part of my diabetic check ups, and my (remaining) cataract has only ever been mentioned once in passing - but not as a potential screening issue.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
That is what they said to me too, yet to me, it doesn't seem like an issue. Are you going to have it done as soon as they offer it?

Probably yes, as the vision in the affected eye has noticably worsened. But I doubt I'll be offered it till next year now, as NZ is in full coping with covid mode and I think my eye issues are pretty low priority compared to those of others. Plus, I was a bit equivocal about it when they mentioned it.

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Probably yes, as the vision in the affected eye has noticably worsened. But I doubt I'll be offered it till next year now, as NZ is in full coping with covid mode and I think my eye issues are pretty low priority compared to those of others. Plus, I was a bit equivocal about it when they mentioned it.

I have no typical cataract symptoms at this stage.

What is really bothering me though is that it says post-operation I will need near glasses and distance glasses. I have distances glasses now which I rarely use (mostly TV) but my near vision is completely fine and I can read letters, text. phones etc. Sounds like a massive backwards step to me.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have distances glasses now which I rarely use (mostly TV) but my near vision is completely fine and I can read letters, text. phones etc. Sounds like a massive backwards step to me.

How old are you? (You don't have to answer). I can almost guarantee that somewhere around the age of 50 you'll start to need reading glasses...
Reading glasses permanently though? I can see why you'd be reluctant, specially if that's you in your avatar picture.

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
How old are you? (You don't have to answer). I can almost guarantee that somewhere around the age of 50 you'll start to need reading glasses...
Reading glasses permanently though? I can see why you'd be reluctant, specially if that's you in your avatar picture.

Yes, thats me and was taken in Jan of this year. I'm 41. The letter didn't mention permanent or not. I am definitely not happy about having near vision glasses at this stage as I don't consider myself to have any issues with reading.

Do you get a choice of lens in NZ?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Do you get a choice of lens in NZ?

To be honest, I have no idea, as I haven't had they eye appointment to discuss it yet. But NZ is generally behind the rest of the developed world on health measures, so I doubt it, though I might get a choice if I paid?

And a quick google suggest that there are options, though I suspect I might have to pay privately to get them.

Dark Horse

I have a long term cataract in on eye and had cataract surgery in the other as part of another problem, both many years before being diagnosed as T2.
Since then, I've had regular eye screening as part of my diabetic check ups, and my (remaining) cataract has only ever been mentioned once in passing - but not as a potential screening issue.
Depending on the location of the cataract, the screening images may still be assessable using the normal camera screening. Sometimes, as the cataract progresses, extra images can help keep the eye assessable (the graders can 'jigsaw' the images together to get a full view). If the cataract is central, even extra images may not help enough and then people are usually referred into the slit-lamp biomicroscopy surveillance arm of the diabetic eye-screening service - the examiners are usually able to look from different angles to see past the cataract. Once a cataract becomes very dense, the retina is unassessable either by camera or slit-lamp (until it has been removed).

Reactions: MAW8

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
To be honest, I have no idea, as I haven't had they eye appointment to discuss it yet. But NZ is generally behind the rest of the developed world on health measures, so I doubt it, though I might get a choice if I paid?

And a quick google suggest that there are options, though I suspect I might have to pay privately to get them.

Yep. NHS England only offer the mono lens so normally then assess if you need the distance version or near vision. I think if you want the multifocal lens here, you will more than likely have to have it done privately.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Because of my age, didn't have to pay for the test, not if I want my cataract sorting. My varifocals were expensive and my opticians are always trying to get to buy more.glasses every time I have a test!

just ask an optician if you want an assessment of your options.

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Because of my age, didn't have to pay for the test, not if I want my cataract sorting. My varifocals were expensive and my opticians are always trying to get to buy more.glasses every time I have a test!

just ask an optician if you want an assessment of your options.

Where are you from? I was told (here in the UK) to avoid the well know big brand opticians as they will always try and sell you something and stick to the smaller independent opticians who don't (although I would have throught it would have been the opposite).

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In the U.K., Up North, where we have to rely on the generous donations to provide our health care!

I do use an independent optician that is why my varifocals cost a fortune, and stay away from the big high street chains, the same lens and frames would have cost me double at the likes of Boots and Specsavers!