Catching covid after having vaccines?

CB67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. I’m still new at the forum thing.

I’m type 1, double vaccinated. Have any type 1s out there actually caught covid after having the vaccines? If so, what happened? How ill were you? Was it as bad as you thought? I’ve asked my diabetic nurse but she couldn’t answer really. Just said the people who are ending up in hospital now are all UNvaccinated. She meant people in general not specifically those with diabetes. Thanks

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Have you caught Covid or are worried about catching Covid? You may want to invest in an Oximeter to monitor your oxygen levels and a thermometer. Also, follow sick day rules if your blood sugars go high. Phone 111 if you need help and support and are unwell.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's nonsense by the way.
Sorry to say that is just not true…most people under 50 who are in a bad way have not had any vaccination…dont ask me for proof because I have to protect my source.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My daughter in law isn't diabetic but she is extremely vulnerable and double vaccinated. She caught covid19 over a month ago and needed bed rest for 10 days but is now fine.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to say that is just not true…most people under 50 who are in a bad way have not had any vaccination…dont ask me for proof because I have to protect my source.
The statement was that ALL people in hospital are unvaccinated.. this is simply not true. And how many are under 50 anyway?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To bring the thread back on topic. @CB67 I am double vaccinated though type 2. But in case it helps, I had my first vaccine (Oxford AZ) in Feb’21 and second in April ‘21. I fell ill on 8th of July and tested positive for Covid the following day. It was like a mild flu, sore throat, sniffy nose, cough, low grade fever, never above 37.5c and the weirdest symptom, loss of taste and smell! However most symptoms went in 7 - 10 days. My taste and smell suddenly returned end of last week.
Of course we are all different!

CB67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Zand and Rachox (glad you’re better now). That’s really helpful. Haven’t got it but son is returning from Canada in a fortnight. Is quarantining at home but I’m staying away for that period. He’s not vaccinated yet but will be ASAP once back in England (long story) and I was just wondering how careful I need to be with him around.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Zand and Rachox (glad you’re better now). That’s really helpful. Haven’t got it but son is returning from Canada in a fortnight. Is quarantining at home but I’m staying away for that period. He’s not vaccinated yet but will be ASAP once back in England (long story) and I was just wondering how careful I need to be with him around.

You’re welcome! I’m glad to have helped, I hope you and your son stay Covid free x

Nomadathome

You can catch Covid despite being double vaccinated but your symptoms should be substantially reduced along with the chances of needing hospitalisation being substantially reduced. The majority of people who are in hospital due to Covid are unvaccinated.

You cannot catch Covid from the vaccination itself but it is possible to have Covid when you get immunised (or catch it shortly after) and just not know it yet.

with regards to your unvaccinated son, it would be best to adhere to precautions at least until he is vaccinated or you have all isolated together and are symptom free. I hope this answers your questions.

Reactions: KK123

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would also follow all the precautions but I get that you must feel super excited to see your son. Hope you both stay well and can see each other as soon as it is safe.