Cauliflower Rice

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve just made a vegan celeriac pilau rice - it’s amazing! I’m taking it for a meal at a vegan friends, they’re having a curry night.

Reactions: Ultramum

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve just made a vegan celeriac pilau rice - it’s amazing! I’m taking it for a meal at a vegan friends, they’re having a curry night.

Like the sound of that. Love celeriac. How did you do it?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Like the sound of that. Love celeriac. How did you do it?
Pasted from my fb post about it...

Celeriac pilau rice.

Found a bag of this celeriac “rice” for 39p on the benefits buffet in Waitrose last night, and despite loathing the taste of celery with a passion, bought it anyway. The raw chunks didn’t taste of anything much, so RESULT!

I melted a dollop of coconut oil in the pot and softened finely diced red onion. I added cumin, coriander, chilli flakes, pilau rice seasoning, cardamom pods, saffron and a couple of bay leaves and fried that for a few minutes before adding the celeriac and 300ml of veg stock. I simmered that for about ten minutes, until the celeriac was softened but still had a bit of bite - like rice. There was a bit of liquid left that hadn’t boiled off, so I’ll add less next time. I took it off with a ladle and drank it...

Reactions: Sue192 and becca59

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do use cauli rice with curry and I’ve made a cauli rice kedgeree. To save making my own which is a faff I buy pouches of it from Tesco, you just snip the top off and microwave it for a couple of mins. It’s a good cupboard stand by. I actually prefer it now to rice. I also like using butternut squash as a pasta substitute, as ‘spaghetti’ with a bolognese or sliced into sheets to make a ‘lasagne’. I also kid my eye when I make a stir fry by replacing noodles with bean sprouts. Explore Cuisine do tasty alternatives to spaghetti and fettuccini which I use too.
Cauli rice is currently on offer at sainsburys

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp...gb/groceries/sainsburys-cauliflower-rice-200g

Hairydavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Asda do Cauliflower Rice in 300gram tubs for £0.90 (as opposed to Caulirice packs in a 250g sachet for £2.00). They also do Brocolli Rice at £0.90 for 300g. They are both in the vegetable section (next to the ready prepared stir fry stuff) rather than in the rice and pasta isle. They both microwave in 4 minutes and, mixed together, 600g is about 10g of carbs. Perfect with a curry or chilli, and it makes a perfect kedgeree (just sprinkle a little extra olive oil into the mixture).
Ok it's not rice but it has a good flavour on its own, and soaks up those curry juices something lovely :angelic:

Hairydavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Asda do Cauliflower Rice in 300gram tubs for £0.90 (as opposed to Caulirice packs in a 250g sachet for £2.00). They also do Brocolli Rice at £0.90 for 300g. They are both in the vegetable section (next to the ready prepared stir fry stuff) rather than in the rice and pasta isle. They both microwave in 4 minutes and, mixed together, 600g is about 10g of carbs. Perfect with a curry or chilli, and it makes a perfect kedgeree (just sprinkle a little extra olive oil into the mixture).
Ok it's not rice but it has a good flavour on its own, and soaks up those curry juices something lovely :angelic:

Also Tesco do carrot spaghetti in 300gram tubs for £1 in the vegetable section (next to the ready prepared stir fry stuff) it microwaves in 4 minites. It's really filling and I can only just get through two packs in one sitting. It's surprisingly low carb - 300g is about 10g of carbs (I think), and it goes perfectly with a Bolognese sauce (and it winds around your fork just like real spaghetti).
Ok it's not pasta but as a LCHF of nearly two years standing, how else am I going to enjoy a huge bowl of spag bol?
Marvellous :)
P.S. I just bought a manual spiralizer for about a quid so from now in I can make the carrot spag myself for less than half the cost.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also Tesco do carrot spaghetti in 300gram tubs for £1 in the vegetable section (next to the ready prepared stir fry stuff) it microwaves in 4 minites. It's really filling and I can only just get through two packs in one sitting. It's surprisingly low carb - 300g is about 10g of carbs (I think), and it goes perfectly with a Bolognese sauce (and it winds around your fork just like real spaghetti).
Ok it's not pasta but as a LCHF of nearly two years standing, how else am I going to enjoy a huge bowl of spag bol?
Marvellous :)
P.S. I just bought a manual spiralizer for about a quid so from now in I can make the carrot spag myself for less than half the cost.

Be very careful with your spiraliser. Those blades are extremely sharp and can lead to a much blood and sterstrips.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't bother making my own anymore - I buy the frozen from Iceland - £2 for 4 bags, no waste, no mess and quick and easy :) - still use my spiralizer nearly every day for something though for courgetti, onions, whatever veggies it will do
I like the Iceland cauliflower rice too :)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
:happy:For those who like cauliflower there is a really nice recipe for soup on the Diet Doctor website. I make it to take for lunch at work. I have adapted the recipe by using cheese rather than cream cheese as I found it a little salty with it but with normal cheese it is delicious.