Celebrating hitting target of 3 stone lost thanks to LCHF way of eating and forum support

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found your post really inspiring @shelley262 thank you.

I’m just starting on this journey and stories like yours are the motivation I need.
Like you I ‘ve spent most of my life following accepted wisdom of low fat diets and got gradually fatter while giving a lot of money to WW etc!

Hoping to follow in your footsteps

Reactions: Prem51

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found your post really inspiring @shelley262 thank you.

I’m just starting on this journey and stories like yours are the motivation I need.
Like you I ‘ve spent most of my life following accepted wisdom of low fat diets and got gradually fatter while giving a lot of money to WW etc!

Hoping to follow in your footsteps
THank you @DJC3 I’m positive that if you are someone who has done lots of the low fat variety of diets which all took a lot of willpower and dealing with constant hunger you’ll do really well on this way of eating as hunger isn’t as much as a problem. I still want to reach for food due to other issues - habit, emotional etc but Have shifted to low carb treats and the results are the rewards. Several of us on lCHF and / or intermittent fasting post our food daily on “what have you eaten today? Thread on the low carb section of the forum - you may find it useful to do that as you can get lots of ideas and I’m sure you already use the wonderful dietdoctor.com resources for recipe ideas. Good luck and take it one step at a time you’ll get there

xyz26

Wonderful achievement Shelley262!
Just clarify for me-I'm not au fait with all the acronyms on here-just WHAT is ICHF? I could do with a list of acronyms interpretations so I can understand everyone's posts!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just clarify for me-I'm not au fait with all the acronyms on here-just WHAT is ICHF? I could do with a list of acronyms interpretations so I can understand everyone's posts!!
It stands for Low Carb High Fat and is the mode of eating a lot of us follow to control blood sugar levels.

Paulines7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Stuck up people. People who do not care about others. Racists. Intolerant people. Tories.
Well done Shelley. I followed a low fat diet for about 30+ years and' like you, ate plenty of fruit, fruit juice and carbs as per the NHS Eat Well Plate. I put on about 5 stones during that time. I would cut down on calories, lose a little weight and then gain more that I had lost. 4 years ago, I was diagnosed with Type2 diabetes. I was fortunate, a day after dx, to come across a forum (not this one), where there was a lot of information on a low carb high fat (LCHF) diet and the people on there were very helpful in pointing me in the right direction.

The GP had advised that I ate wholegrain food but when I tested with my meter an hour after eating brown rice, my bg levels shot up to 29 from about 7 before I ate my meal. It was the same with wholemeal bread and pasta. After a week of this, I started on the LCHF diet and I lost 2 stone but this winter I have put 5lbs back on .
I do carry a lot of water and that may be why the weight has gone on since Christmas.
I am still obese weighing in at 14st 12lbs. I am limited with exercise because I have spinal problems, osteoarthritis, 2 knee replacements and deformed feet. I do a lot of gardening in the warmer months but spend most of my time on the computer or watching TV in the winter months. I have cut out all starches such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, flour goods and sugar. My GP is really pleased with my HbA1c taken a few weeks ago which is 47. By the way, I am on diet only for my diabetes.

My problem is that I get very hungry of an evening and am often tempted to have the wrong type of snack after my evening meal. Shelley, could you please tell me what meals you were having when on your fasting diet? I usually have avocado with full fat cottage cheese for breakfast, bacon and eggs for lunch then meat, brassicas and sometimes mashed celeriac for dinner. I also as a treat have a Mini Magnum for dessert. This has 13g of carbs so given that I don't have potatoes, it probably doesn't do too much harm and my HbA1c is acceptable. I just need to lose weight so any advice you can give would be very helpful please.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Shelley. I followed a low fat diet for about 30+ years and' like you, ate plenty of fruit, fruit juice and carbs as per the NHS Eat Well Plate. I put on about 5 stones during that time. I would cut down on calories, lose a little weight and then gain more that I had lost. 4 years ago, I was diagnosed with Type2 diabetes. I was fortunate, a day after dx, to come across a forum (not this one), where there was a lot of information on a low carb high fat (LCHF) diet and the people on there were very helpful in pointing me in the right direction.

The GP had advised that I ate wholegrain food but when I tested with my meter an hour after eating brown rice, my bg levels shot up to 29 from about 7 before I ate my meal. It was the same with wholemeal bread and pasta. After a week of this, I started on the LCHF diet and I lost a stone but this winter I have put 5lbs back on .
I do carry a lot of water and that may be why the weight has gone on since Christmas.
I am still obese weighing in at 15st 12lbs. I am limited with exercise because I have spinal problems, osteoarthritis, 2 knee replacements and deformed feet. I do a lot of gardening in the warmer months but spend most of my time on the computer or watching TV in the winter months. I have cut out all starches such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, flour goods and sugar. My GP is really pleased with my HbA1c taken a few weeks ago which is 47. By the way, I am on diet only for my diabetes.

My problem is that I get very hungry of an evening and am often tempted to have the wrong type of snack after my evening meal. Shelley, could you please tell me what meals you were having when on your fasting diet? I usually have avocado with full fat cottage cheese for breakfast, bacon and eggs for lunch then meat, brassicas and sometimes mashed celeriac for dinner. I also as a treat have a Mini Magnum for dessert. This has 13g of carbs so given that I don't have potatoes, it probably doesn't do too much harm and my HbA1c is acceptable. I just need to lose weight so any advice you can give would be very helpful please.
Hi @Paulines7 it sounds like you are making great steps forward in improving your blood sugars which is a great achievement especially as you are diet controlled.
To really move things along Weight wise I had to shift on to intermittent fasting and I’m wondering a couple of things that you could consider shifting around to make a difference:
If you get hungry later in the day you could consider giving breakfast a miss I still only have coffee and double cream for breakfast and it keeps me full until lunchtime - this would also allow your body to have a longer period without needing the insulin which may be beneficial for weight loss and lowering blood glucose it certainly was for me. I also needed to drop down to 20g of carb to carry on loosing weight - after first month of eating closer to 50g of carb - but we are all different. I do know though that although I eat very low carb I’m not usually hungry as eat high fat which fills me up.
I wonder if you are eating enough full fat to keep full? Trouble is as you say you have been low fat for years it is hard to shift habits but this may be causing you to stay hungry. Not sure about full fat cottage cheese maybe full fat soft cheese may have more fat? I’m not sure as I refuse to eat cottage cheese any more after years of having to eat it! I tend to have advocado with smoked salmon or prawns with full fat mayo mixed in!
Dinner - you sound like you are making good choices for main course but are you adding lots of butter and cream to your celeriac mash I certainly do it’s delicious. That should fill you up so you can ditch that mini magnum which is an obvious contender for ditching! There are loads of low carb options for desert you can choose for example here are a few of my faves
Oppo ice cream a low carb ice cream that comes in different flavours I buy from Sainsbury’s but think you can get from other shops
Sugar free jelly either served with cream or whisked with cream when making to make a mousse
Double cream whisked up and add some frozen raspberries to produce a soft instant ice cream or with fresh raspberries or strawberries
High percentage cocoa chocolate I now like 100% chocolate but started with 75% and worked my way up a square with a creamy coffee really hits the spot.
If you want more ideas I and others list what we eat each day on the thread what have you eaten today on the low carb part of the forum.
So as an example today I had
Breakfast coffee and cream
Lunch blue cheese omlette followed by a square of 90% chocolate with coffee and cream
Dinner tonight will be chicken curry served with a slice of livlife low carb bread fried in coconut oil instead of naan followed by low carb chocolate olive oil cake served with double cream - oh and a gin and soda with ice and lime!
Hope this helps you don’t hesitate to ask if you have any more queries

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you just came across this query thank you @bulkbiker for responding.

Paulines7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Stuck up people. People who do not care about others. Racists. Intolerant people. Tories.
Shelley, many thanks for your reply. There are some useful suggestions there, thank you. I had never heard of Oppo ice cream so will look for it next time I am in Sainsbury or Waitrose. It looks yummy and I like the choice of flavours. When I looked for it on line, I was offered a £1 voucher off my first purchase. I buy double cream and have that in my coffee. I also have it with sugar free jellies. I hadn't thought of adding cream and making it into a mousse and that would be more filling. Thank you for that tip.

The problem with breakfast is that I suffer from dawn phenomenon if I don't eat soon after I get up. I could try skipping breakfast tomorrow and just have a coffee and cream. I have stopped eating prawns because my GP lowered my Allopurinol dose from 300mg to 100mg and my uric acid is building up. If I don't have any avocados, I have full fat Greek yoghurt with a few strawberries, raspberries or blueberries.
For lunch I do have full fat mayo on salad some days.

Tonight my son cooked a chicken curry and fried some courgettes rings for me in coconut oil. He does most of the cooking and he knows what I can and can't have. I always have some white wine on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays and that probably doesn't help my weight. I have some gin in the cupboard so I may cut out the wine and have that with sugar free tonic. I also had a Mini Magnum this evening. In all, I think my carbs are less than 50 a day and could even be less than 30.

I haven't been to the low carb part of the forum as I am still finding my way around, but I will look for it in the morning. What country are you in Shelley? I suspect you are in the USA as you mention soda. My brother is married to an American and they live in Maryland.

Thanks again Shelley.

dwnunder

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Big mouths
So very well done Shelley I have a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye I wish I could give you a huge hug. It's not easy and your story is such an inspiration. Thank you for posting.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Shelley, many thanks for your reply. There are some useful suggestions there, thank you. I had never heard of Oppo ice cream so will look for it next time I am in Sainsbury or Waitrose. It looks yummy and I like the choice of flavours. When I looked for it on line, I was offered a £1 voucher off my first purchase. I buy double cream and have that in my coffee. I also have it with sugar free jellies. I hadn't thought of adding cream and making it into a mousse and that would be more filling. Thank you for that tip.

The problem with breakfast is that I suffer from dawn phenomenon if I don't eat soon after I get up. I could try skipping breakfast tomorrow and just have a coffee and cream. I have stopped eating prawns because my GP lowered my Allopurinol dose from 300mg to 100mg and my uric acid is building up. If I don't have any avocados, I have full fat Greek yoghurt with a few strawberries, raspberries or blueberries.
For lunch I do have full fat mayo on salad some days.

Tonight my son cooked a chicken curry and fried some courgettes rings for me in coconut oil. He does most of the cooking and he knows what I can and can't have. I always have some white wine on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays and that probably doesn't help my weight. I have some gin in the cupboard so I may cut out the wine and have that with sugar free tonic. I also had a Mini Magnum this evening. In all, I think my carbs are less than 50 a day and could even be less than 30.

I haven't been to the low carb part of the forum as I am still finding my way around, but I will look for it in the morning. What country are you in Shelley? I suspect you are in the USA as you mention soda. My brother is married to an American and they live in Maryland.

Thanks again Shelley.
Hi @pauline7 no I’m in uk Worcestershire. I should have typed in full name for my gin and soda I meant soda water! I used to drink it with diet tonic but when started this way of eating for first couple of months I gave up all artificial sweetners to get used to less sweetness in foods and drinks. Now I prefer soda water provided have lemon or lime slices with it it brings out the flavour of the gin I find. I also drink soda water in the week with a dash of cranberry bitters and lime slices.
I’m now using erythritol as it’s an artificial sweetener that I find has no impact on my blood sugar and I can bake with it.
I find that just having enough cream in my coffee stops the morning rise and many others also find this works. Some others I gather too have breakfast to combat this but cut lunch and have 2 meals that way. You need to experiment and find what works for you.
I haven’t given up alcohol whilst dieting but have stuck to limiting it to weekends and one drink mainly unless special occasion. I drink a glass of dry white wine or fizz or red, or gin and soda water. It didn’t impact on my bloods or slow my weight loss or put me out of ketosis so I figured life’s too short! Again many do give up alcohol to lose weight as it hasn’t got much nutrition but I enjoy it...
Good luck hope to see you on low carb forb bit of forum

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So very well done Shelley I have a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye I wish I could give you a huge hug. It's not easy and your story is such an inspiration. Thank you for posting.
Thank you - a hug back winging its way from here in the very cold and snowy uk - at least a thaw is now on the way here maybe our spring is just around the corner.

Paulines7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for your reply Shelley. I tested just after I got up this morning and my bg level was 8.0. I
was late getting up (9.15 am) so have just had a coffee and cream. I will wait an hour and test again.

I agree with you that life is too short to cut out alcohol completely but I might try having gin next weekend as spirits do not have carbs whereas wine does have a few. Thanks for all your help.

Reactions: Prem51

dwnunder

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Big mouths
Thank you - a hug back winging its way from here in the very cold and snowy uk - at least a thaw is now on the way here maybe our spring is just around the corner.
Oh I hope so I feel for you all in that cold and snow. We have 36 deg tomorrow and 38 deg on Tuesday so I will try and send some sunshine your way.

Paulines7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was thinking that I had only lost a stone since going low carb but realised this morning that I had made an error in my first post. I am 14st 12lbs, not 15st 12 lbs so I actually lost 2 stone overall, though I have put several lbs back on this winter. I really can't think how I made that error! :oops:

I have been back and corrected my original post. :rolleyes:

Reactions: DJC3