Celeriac - serving suggestions & NI help

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Here we go:

One large celeriac peeled and sliced as thin as you want it, obvs thicker may take longer to cook
Baking dish olive oiled
Sauce : 500ml double cream, Small splash milk and if wanted - dijon mustard, , 2 tsp
Garlic to taste, finely chopped
Thyme leaves

Process: whip together cream, milk and mustard if using. Layer celeriac in baking dish, salt/pepper + garlic/thyme between layers and pour cream mix over this. Put in pre-heated oven at around 150C, Gas 3. Bake for 90mins (?) or until celeriac is cooked.

Try not to eat it all first go. That's the hard bit.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. I most definitely do.
Very interesting!
I suppose I would need insulin for it if I had it for breakfast or lunch, but not with my evening meal.
On the other hand, I'm usually cheating a little with my evening meal because I still have some IOB from injecting for my beer, and for a long time I've suspected this is mopping up a little of the carbs in my meal.
I don't think I'd manage to eat half a liter of double cream, plus celeriac in one sitting!

• Funny
Reactions: KennyA and jjraak

Cluuur

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Also if you're into growing your own veg, celeriac seed is usually cheap at less than a quid for hundreds of seeds. I'm not very good at getting it to germinate but I try every year since I eat such a lot of it (from Tesco). With all-in-one traybake or fish pie, the celeriac for me goes at one and and the spud for Mrs DeeJay at the other. (She also bought a double slow cooker, which is brilliant for separate meals.)
We discussed this the other day... I will buy some seeds when I'm visiting the UK next week and see if we can get any going over here. I'm certainly not much of a gardener but worth a go in case supermarket supplies dwindle (after trying it for the first time when there was loads in stock but only bought a small one to taste test, I went shopping the next week and the shelves were bare! Always seems to happen when I find something I like!) Thankfully I found another source and have stocked up the freezer for now.

Reactions: jjraak

Cluuur

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Here we go:

One large celeriac peeled and sliced as thin as you want it, obvs thicker may take longer to cook
Baking dish olive oiled
Sauce : 500ml double cream, Small splash milk and if wanted - dijon mustard, , 2 tsp
Garlic to taste, finely chopped
Thyme leaves

Process: whip together cream, milk and mustard if using. Layer celeriac in baking dish, salt/pepper + garlic/thyme between layers and pour cream mix over this. Put in pre-heated oven at around 150C, Gas 3. Bake for 90mins (?) or until celeriac is cooked.

Thanks @KennyA - sounds great. We don't have fresh cream/double cream here... but I will try it with the slightly dubious sounding "UHT cremio for cooking" and see how it goes!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd be grateful for any tips on the best conditions for germinating celeriac seeds. My first sowing this year in a heated propagator under grow-lights (red & blue) yielded 2 seedlings, both of which have turned out to be tomatoes :( The next sowing is in the greenhouse under cover.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I'd be grateful for any tips on the best conditions for germinating celeriac seeds. My first sowing this year in a heated propagator under grow-lights (red & blue) yielded 2 seedlings, both of which have turned out to be tomatoes :( The next sowing is in the greenhouse under cover.
Not covering the seeds could be the trick you need, according to this article they need light to germinate https://www.quickcrop.co.uk/learning/plant/celeriac#:~:text=Don't%20cover%20the%20seeds,be%20taking%20a%20bit%20long!

• Useful
Reactions: jjraak and DeejayR

Gudgeon

Celeriac are quite tricky to germinate. They need light so just sprinkle on top of compost then cover with plastic bag. They need quite a long season to grow, I've got 50 in the greenhouse waiting to go out.

Dauphinoise - we do ours with equal sliced beetroot.

TBH I don't really like the flavour of celeriac, but mashed with anything else it is lovely - turnip, carrot, parsnip, squash.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Use a large sharp knife to cut slices and peel the slices individually!
Had tried it just after DX...too much faffing about.

Tried your method other day . Much better.

Though to be fair, more cutting off the edges than peeling, but same results.

Mashed it up with butter & a little salt ..delish.

On my menu for next time I fancy mash.

Cheers @Antje77

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77