Celeriac.....who Knew? Any Other Surprise Delights?

TonyHancock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three weeks ago I had no idea what celeriac was. thanks to this forum and I apologise because I can't remember which post here recommended it, but man alive I have just had three pieces roasted and all I can say is why is this utter delight not filling entire rows in the supermarkets?

Another food I find absolutely delicious is samphire. I have even taken to having it raw in salads. :woot:

This blessed condition is dreadful but it has opened my eyes to foods I would not have gone near that are incredible

What about everyone else? Any pleasant surprises for you?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Celeriac was a revelation to me too. It now graces the top of my cottage pie, husband prefers it to potato. It is just so hard to dice!

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Bulletproof coffee, Fathead Pizza, and Fage with berries. Nom Nom!

Reactions: TonyHancock

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I love the scent of celeriac on my hands when I've just peeled it. Celeriac mash is good, but celeriac fries even better :hungry::hungry:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my.
The list is pretty long :D

Celeriac is up there (fab in stews and curries, as chips and dauphinoised)
Chorizo or salami crisps (nicer than potato ones)
Fathead pizza (base is made of almond flour and mozzarella)
Cauliflower or broccoli as mash, cheesy mash, rice substitute and couscous substitute
97% meat sausages are sooooooo much nicer than those pink paste ordinary sausages
Kale crisps (home made)
Low carb hot choc (cocoa powder, hot water, double cream and a sweetener)
Chia puddings
LC choc mousse
LC icecream (there are some great brands like Oppo, Perfect World, HaloTop around now), but I still prefer the homemade stuff; frozen fruit, double cream and sweetener

In terms of fresh, natural ingredients, i love nuts and nut butters. Such variety of flavours and textures.

I think once you get your head around the LC mindset, it makes you realise how cardboard and bland most high carb low fat foods are. Especially when processed and filled with salt, flavour enhancers and E numbers.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Three weeks ago I had no idea what celeriac was. thanks to this forum and I apologise because I can't remember which post here recommended it, but man alive I have just had three pieces roasted and all I can say is why is this utter delight not filling entire rows in the supermarkets?

Another food I find absolutely delicious is samphire. I have even taken to having it raw in salads. :woot:

This blessed condition is dreadful but it has opened my eyes to foods I would not have gone near that are incredible

What about everyone else? Any pleasant surprises for you?
You are so right when you say that this condition has opened your eyes to wonderful new food choices.
I never went near celery as I didn’t like it, likewise feta cheese, cream cheese, now I love them. Cauliflower was a veg that I enjoyed but wasn’t aware of its versatility, I now have it in place of rice and love it made into a soup or as mash. 90% chocolate, bullet proof coffee and salami crisps are also high on the list my favourite things now.
After all the rave reviews it’s getting I think I need to try celeriac now too.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Celeriac chips and dauphinois, now that is definitely food for thought, thanks.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my.
The list is pretty long :D

Celeriac is up there (fab in stews and curries, as chips and dauphinoised)
Chorizo or salami crisps (nicer than potato ones)
Fathead pizza (base is made of almond flour and mozzarella)
Cauliflower or broccoli as mash, cheesy mash, rice substitute and couscous substitute
97% meat sausages are sooooooo much nicer than those pink paste ordinary sausages
Kale crisps (home made)
Low carb hot choc (cocoa powder, hot water, double cream and a sweetener)
Chia puddings
LC choc mousse
LC icecream (there are some great brands like Oppo, Perfect World, HaloTop around now), but I still prefer the homemade stuff; frozen fruit, double cream and sweetener

In terms of fresh, natural ingredients, i love nuts and nut butters. Such variety of flavours and textures.

I think once you get your head around the LC mindset, it makes you realise how cardboard and bland most high carb low fat foods are. Especially when processed and filled with salt, flavour enhancers and E numbers.
I agree about the taste of food after a while of being LC, lots of things now seem far too sweet and yes things look bland and boring, I’d rather have egg and bacon for breakfast as opposed to beige, sweet, sugary cereals any day of the week, and I do.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have to say been underwhelmed by roasted Celeriac, it's probably me.
But grated Celeriac in a salad ./ slaw is more than alright.

and of course, celery, buy at least one a week for breakfasts.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Celeriac was a revelation to me too. It now graces the top of my cottage pie, husband prefers it to potato. It is just so hard to dice!
good sharp knives have always been a feature of my kitchen - Lidl had some good bamboo handled ones recently - needless to say I took some home to try out...
Celeriac has no chance against my knives.

Reactions: xfieldok

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Swede (rutabaga) can do most things that potato can, mash, chips, toppings etc. but only 5% carbs.

Reactions: Serena51

mrsAP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much
I agree about the taste of food after a while of being LC, lots of things now seem far too sweet and yes things look bland and boring, I’d rather have egg and bacon for breakfast as opposed to beige, sweet, sugary cereals any day of the week, and I do.
I’ve been low carb for 8months & agree with you that some food is now just too sweet for my palate.....but I’ve also found that if I eat anything sweet it makes my teeth ache!

Reactions: jayney27

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good sharp knives have always been a feature of my kitchen - Lidl had some good bamboo handled ones recently - needless to say I took some home to try out...
Celeriac has no chance against my knives.
I need hubby's muscles!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
This thread reminds me time and time again how I have none-deliberately ate low carb most of my life. I hated white bread and seeded even more. I avoided my mums roasties as bland. In fact my mum couldn't cook. Pasta wasn't heard of in our family home. I always preferred protein to chips. I used to swop sister for her chi cken for my chips or mash... Which I left til last.
I love liver and kidney.... Seafood or any fish.
Never been a huge cheese eater either.

Only since struggling financially with a young family has cheap bread and wobbly veg been in my house. Any cheap bread or food had to do.
Neither wonder we've been ill.

Back on track but tempted to try celeriac for fish pie thou.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is celeriac more difficult to chop than swede? I persevere with the axe with swede because I just love it mashed with lots of butter and pepper. I will have to brave it, it could be a great winter veg.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is celeriac more difficult to chop than swede? I persevere with the axe with swede because I just love it mashed with lots of butter and pepper. I will have to brave it, it could be a great winter veg.
It is a bit softer but more knobbly so about the same to deal with. For both I slice off the top and bottom, cut in half, peel with a speed peeler and then cut into whatever size is needed. The things you need are a sharp cook's knife and a good chopping board then use a sort of rocking action, point to handle, with the knife.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a bit softer but more knobbly so about the same to deal with. For both I slice off the top and bottom, cut in half, peel with a speed peeler and then cut into whatever size is needed. The things you need are a sharp cook's knife and a good chopping board then use a sort of rocking action, point to handle, with the knife.
Thanks @Mr_Pot for the advice. I also use a bit of a rocking action with the swede. Then I slice it and peel the edges. Isnt it funny how we do things a bit differently. I do try and choose a swede that is elongated rather than round as I find it more user friendly.
I am going to give the celeriac a go soon.