Chana Dal

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football, Icy weather, Getting old.
Does anyone know if there is any truth in an article written by David Mendosa stating that Chana Dal does not spike BG and can therefore be included in a low carb diet? Is there any evidence for this? Before starting the low carb diet I used a fair amount of lentils and pulses so if that is the case it would be brilliant news. I suspect it's some come of hype however.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As I have not read the article in question I can not comment on what case he makes for this but as most if not all lentils and pulses are pretty high in carbs I would play it safe and avoid them the alternative is of course to test for your self and determine whether you can tolerate it by eating to your meter.

Reactions: onnecar

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone know if there is any truth in an article written by David Mendosa stating that Chana Dal does not spike BG and can therefore be included in a low carb diet? Is there any evidence for this? Before starting the low carb diet I used a fair amount of lentils and pulses so if that is the case it would be brilliant news. I suspect it's some come of hype however.
I have not read the article but have myself experienced my glucose levels spike if I eat Channa Dal, Red beans or Chickpeas/Choley

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Reactions: onnecar

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This goes back to the early days of the Glycemic Index studies - most of the studies were done on non-diabetic people. Science has advanced a lot since those days and the recent Israeli studies on the widely varying individual responses to foods make it pretty irrelevant IMO. The only way for a Type 2 to know how a specific food affects them is by checking with their glucometer or CGM. What worked for David Mendosa won't necessarily work for any other Type 2. You need to test it for yourself if it's a food you want to eat.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
We are all different and react differently too. All you can do is test with your meter to be sure. I have read, somewhere, that the chana dal are often just ordinary lentils in this country.

Reactions: Shahnaz2357

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
We are all different and react differently too. All you can do is test with your meter to be sure. I have read, somewhere, that the chana dal are often just ordinary lentils in this country.
He said it himself in the article that what you get when buying chana dal is not always actually the genuine article but as has been said what may have worked for him may not work for others the only way to find out is to test.

I have in my cupboards bags of lentils unused that will remain unused unless cooking for non diabetics.

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
He said it himself in the article that what you get when buying chana dal is not always actually the genuine article but as has been said what may have worked for him may not work for others the only way to find out is to test.

I have in my cupboards bags of lentils unused that will remain unused unless cooking for non diabetics.
Join the club. I also have bags of lentils. A family favourite was quorn and lentil chilli. Wondering if there is a low carb substitute.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Join the club. I also have bags of lentils. A family favourite was quorn and lentil chilli. Wondering if there is a low carb substitute.
chilli with beef is pretty low carb...in fact extremely.

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If you eat meat which I don't. But thanks for the suggestion.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only your meter can tell you whether or not channa dal or any other food works for your body, and also what level of overall carbs within a low carb diet works with your body
Ive by default followed a low carb diet ( the definition of low carb starts at under 130g per day ) since diagnosis over 20 years ago. For the first 10-15 years 30/40g carbs were fine per meal and the BS rises from pulses were fine. Over the years as D has progressed, my carb tolerance has decreased to more like 10- 15g carbs per meal and pulses now give a me an unacceptable BS spike, so I avoid them.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have made chili with quorn mince was quite reasonable taste with no meat.

Reactions: tina_marie

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Now if it does work for you that is excellent news, it's got flavour, texture and is simple to make.

As others have said, test see what happens. For me it's part of my staple "let's go for a curry" menu.