Changed Diagnosis

Luapecir

Dislikes
What Bulls leave behind after food. Doctors who think they have the right to guess.
:sick: I was diagnosed with Type Two Diabetes over four years ago. Was on Nova Rapid Three times daily (10 units), 44 Lantus and 1000 metformin. Nightly.
I have never felt well during this period and sometimes really disgustingly bad, yet I have done everything properly, according to Doctors and Diabetic Educators. Blood sugars can rapidly rise and rapidly drop. 3 to low 20's.
This morning the Dr. said that in fact I have Type one, not type two. Then there is the debate over "no or little insulin produced" and Insulin Resistance. It seems to me they don't really know what to do, and in brief I ask, "Does Anyone.?"
Or am I to spend a Life in Quiet Desperation.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Before you go onto insulin (which you have done), a c-peptide blood test will tell the GP what your natural insulin level is. I had one done privately which proved that I had very little natural insulin and, as I knew as I was under-weight, that I wasn't insulin resistant. Those who are insulin resistant will normally have high levels of natural insulin present. A GAD blood test will also show whether you have the most common islet cell anti-body present but it can give false negatives; this anti-body kills islet cells causing late onset T1 (LADA). A lot depends on your weight. If you are overweight, then you may have some insulin resistance and initially you would need quite high levels of injected insulin. With a good low-carb diet this should resolve itself and injected insulin can be reduced. If you find quite low levels of injected insulin work well i.e. you have good insulin sensitivity then you are not insulin resistant and just need to match insulin to a sensible low-carb diet. I think 44 daily Lantus might imply some insulin resistance, but I'm not an expert. I'm on 10 units Levemir which is all I need for basal.