Changing cannula and bleeding

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I changed my cannula today and it started bleeding and stinging what does this mean?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I changed my cannula today and it started bleeding and stinging what does this mean?

Was it the new cannula bleeding and stinging? Just like when you inject, when you insert a cannula you can catch a blood vessel and or a sensitive bit and it can bleed and feel unconfortable. If it's the newly sited cannula that hurts, then place a new site so you are stuck with an uncomfortable site for the next 3 days. Bleeding and inflammation could also cause issues with insulin delivery so you're better off changing before any issues arise.

If it was the old cannula site that started stinging and bleeding when you took the cannula out, that's not that uncommon. I've seen people call them "gushers". Again, it's just caused by catching a blood vessel when you insert the cannula, then when the cannula's insitu it bloods up the tear, when you take it out, suddenly all the blood comes out and it can do that at quite an impressive volume! It'll feel better once you mop up the blood and put a bit of pressure on it for a minute.

iHs

Some sets have a lot of stick on the white adhesive and can be a bit difficult to remove. Try using medical adhesive remover spray like Liftplus, Apeeel etc over the set and then it should pull away without any bleeding.

Reactions: diabeticmegxo

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was it the new cannula bleeding and stinging? Just like when you inject, when you insert a cannula you can catch a blood vessel and or a sensitive bit and it can bleed and feel unconfortable. If it's the newly sited cannula that hurts, then place a new site so you are stuck with an uncomfortable site for the next 3 days. Bleeding and inflammation could also cause issues with insulin delivery so you're better off changing before any issues arise.

If it was the old cannula site that started stinging and bleeding when you took the cannula out, that's not that uncommon. I've seen people call them "gushers". Again, it's just caused by catching a blood vessel when you insert the cannula, then when the cannula's insitu it bloods up the tear, when you take it out, suddenly all the blood comes out and it can do that at quite an impressive volume! It'll feel better once you mop up the blood and put a bit of pressure on it for a minute.

It was the new one yeah! I was so scared because I’m still on the pump trial aha thank you for your help!

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some sets have a lot of stick on the white adhesive and can be a bit difficult to remove. Try using medical adhesive remover spray like Liftplus, Apeeel etc over the set and then it should pull away without any bleeding.

Thankyou!

leahkian

Have you been told to move sites when you put a new cannula in as if you do not the part of the body becomes sore and can effect the insulin going in. When i had my medtronic pump there was an alarm that went off if some thing was wrong. Like the other members have said if it hurts then move it as you do not want to be in pain for 3 days. My DNS told me if there was some thing that i was not happy with to change the whole lot so you have piece of mind and do not forget you can phone your diabetes team if you are worried. They will be pleased to hear that you have had a problem and called them, as it shows that you are not afraid to ask for help. Keep on going and you will crack it in the end.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @diabeticmegxo , on the occasions (just a couple of times, I think) when I've had bleeding or pain with a new cannula, I've immediately replaced it with a new one somewhere else.

Before I started pumping - in fact before I even joined the forum properly - I read on here some very wise words from the fabulous @donnellysdogs , who said that if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't!

So if I'm ever unsure, I'll change it.

Hope your pump trial's going well otherwise! I love my pump, although it took quite some time to get to grips with it (and I do still have my moments - LOL!).

Love Snapsy
:)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Blood with new sets and you really need to put a different new one in, in a different area. My legs had horrendoys bleeding with cannulas where blood would pour down to my ankles..

If sets ever hurt when put in, dont leave them there as they have hit a wrong place.

Up to you if you leave in and wait for alarms to go off or feel the set.. especially if you are lean.. but I certainly learnt not to put in certain areas because of bleeding.. yet going back to mdi I never hit blood when injecting in my legs day in day out...

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you been told to move sites when you put a new cannula in as if you do not the part of the body becomes sore and can effect the insulin going in. When i had my medtronic pump there was an alarm that went off if some thing was wrong. Like the other members have said if it hurts then move it as you do not want to be in pain for 3 days. My DNS told me if there was some thing that i was not happy with to change the whole lot so you have piece of mind and do not forget you can phone your diabetes team if you are worried. They will be pleased to hear that you have had a problem and called them, as it shows that you are not afraid to ask for help. Keep on going and you will crack it in the end.

I have been told to change sites yes I’m just worrying because the first time I put it in my leg which was Saturday it came out and started bleeding badly

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @diabeticmegxo , on the occasions (just a couple of times, I think) when I've had bleeding or pain with a new cannula, I've immediately replaced it with a new one somewhere else.

Before I started pumping - in fact before I even joined the forum properly - I read on here some very wise words from the fabulous @donnellysdogs , who said that if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't!

So if I'm ever unsure, I'll change it.

Hope your pump trial's going well otherwise! I love my pump, although it took quite some time to get to grips with it (and I do still have my moments - LOL!).

Love Snapsy
:)

Thank you so much! It’s actually going really good apart from that little incident

Reactions: Snapsy

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Blood with new sets and you really need to put a different new one in, in a different area. My legs had horrendoys bleeding with cannulas where blood would pour down to my ankles..

If sets ever hurt when put in, dont leave them there as they have hit a wrong place.

Up to you if you leave in and wait for alarms to go off or feel the set.. especially if you are lean.. but I certainly learnt not to put in certain areas because of bleeding.. yet going back to mdi I never hit blood when injecting in my legs day in day out...
Omg I wasn’t told this actually! Thankyou!

leahkian

There are also different sets you can try, i think when i started on my pump i tried 2 sets and then chose one but i was told if i had any problems that we could try other sets. As i have tree trunk legs i found it ok to put them there as well. The main problems i had was that i was a restless sleeper so i would wake up with the pump wrapped around me!!

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are also different sets you can try, i think when i started on my pump i tried 2 sets and then chose one but i was told if i had any problems that we could try other sets. As i have tree trunk legs i found it ok to put them there as well. The main problems i had was that i was a restless sleeper so i would wake up with the pump wrapped around me!!

Aw okay thank you!