Changing doctors but low on prescription items - UK

SISUOut

Hi all, new to the forums and 8 years as T1D.
I have done a search with various buzzwords but not found the information or guidance that I need.
Based in the UK so really only relevant to this country, I moved recently and got told by my doctors practice that I would need to register with another surgery. I have just done that but asides from waiting for my medical records to transfer, I have had to book in for a new patient health check before the new surgery can authorise all my prescription items.
Herein lies the problem. The earliest appointment that I was offered was 1st Feb, so just shy of two weeks. Tonight I have just started on my last Lantus pen - I usually do 28 units overnight. I have one humalog pen still unused and just over halfway on my current one. I tend to go through one of the humalog pens every 8 to 9 days. So I realise that I will run out of humalog prior to my appointment and even then have no idea how long that it will be before being able to collect my prescription again.
Simple question is, has anyone else been in this predicament, and without either skipping injections or having a drastic change of diet to reduce carbs considerably, what realistic options are there for me?
Can I buy humalog pens online, is there anything I can do between my old doctors and new one to get someone to authorise a prescription?
I did think that I could just use up whatever I have and then just try and cut back on carbs, after all I was 2 months of noticeable symptoms prior to my diagnosis, eight and a bit years ago. That is clearly not a sensible way of looking at things, but without knowing what timescale I am looking at to getting all the paperwork and prescriptions migrated I'm open to ideas. The timing of this has been bad, usually I have enough pens, needles, test strips to see me for at least a couple of weeks over what I need.
Hope someone can offer some decent advice or if you have faced this same situation what options there are open to me.
Thanks all

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you explained your need for insulin to your new doctor?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Have you explained your need for insulin to your new doctor?
Yes, an obvious first step would be to phone the surgery and explain that you don't have enough insulin to last till the 1st Feb.

Alternatively, this nearly 6 year old thread suggests going to A&E, an out of hours surgery or asking a chemist for some emergency insulin (you may have to pay them but should get it back when you produce a script).

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/advice-run-out-of-insulin-sorted-now-thanks.38052/

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Go to the reception and explain you are going to need more insulin before your new patient health check. You can get emergency prescriptions from other GPS when on holiday in this country. I cannot obviously foresee a problem.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Take a list of what you require to the receptionist at your new surgery asap and explain the situation. I have moved house several times and have never had any problem getting a prescription for what I required. It sometimes takes weeks for your records to arrive and the GP staff will realise that.