Changing to steel cannula

TamsinB

Hi

I'm fairly new to pumping, I've been using a Paradigm Veo with QuickSet teflon cannulas for about 2 months. My main problem seems to be bent cannulas, I get them several times a week, every other change or so. My nurse has told me I'm just a bit 'cack-handed' and will get better at inserting the set but I've noticed that it seems to happen most when I'm trying to use a site with less fat.

I'm quite slim and have lumps on my belly below the navel from injecting which means I'm currently limited to either side of the navel, there's not enough fat above. I'm also considering my bum but am nervous it might be annoying as I sit down all day at work.

I would love to hear how people find steel cannulas, particularly the Sure-T set. Are they comfortable? Is there more risk of dislodging them or damaging them when moving around?

Thanks!

Tamsin

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have a rapid d from accuchek roche, 6mm. I love them and will not go back to a plastic teflon.

Much easier to put in by self than with an inserter from my point of view. If doing when standing up, I will know immediately if I have a tinsy winsy bit of pain just on it's way in, then I take it out and move it somewhere else before pressing the sticky stuff down.

For the last 3 sets I put in from the end of the box though, for some reason I have had quite a bit of redness on the skin where the glue has been, just on my left leg. Never expereinced this before, so don't know whether it was sticky stuff, or me. Now moved to my lower right part of tum for a change, and a new box...so still won't know whether it was the last 3 in the box or my leg....
It wasn't painful, just that even a week on, the redness where the sticky white pad goes is still there. This is a first though, and I showed my DSN on my visit to her yesterday, so she is aware that something hasn't quite been perfect for just the last 3 sets.

I have been using them since November last year. You are advised to change them every 2 days.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

Like DDogs i also use the rapid-D link with the accu-chek
Combo.

I was pumping using the teflon cannulas for less than two weeks before the teflon cannulas i was using were re-called
For kinking problems.

I was dubious at first but tried the steel 6mm cannula(90 degree insertion). And honestly i would never go back! Its much easier to insert, its comforting to know it wont kink too!

Downside is that they have to be changed every 48 hours but a small price to pay i think! I also find i can wear these higher on my stomach as the cannula is much smaller so doesnt need as much fatty tissue to be worn comfortably! Which is good for me as i only use my stomach for infusion sites but thats a personal preference.

You may find you can use legs easier too, helping stay away from lumps and
Rotate sites really well!

In all honestly i can neverreally say anything bad about steel cannulas from personal experience and would recommend everyone to at least try them.

Good luck!

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They are great for all the reasons that people have said except not everyone can wear them. I seem to have unexplained BG highs when I use them and today I found one leaking insulin. My pump company said this can be my body rejecting them (see my thread Problems after Contact Detach set change).

I wanted to use them to stop kinking as I'm slim and feel I could use them in more areas. It seems unlikely I will be able to as nobody can resolve my issues :( They are much nicer to insert (and I'm needle phobic!) but you can sometimes feel them whereas I never have that with the teflon. It's very individual - some people never feel them. You need Lift Plus spray to remove them as you have to be more careful than with the teflon and of course you have to change more often.

I would highly recommend you get some samples and test them out when you can be relaxed about trying a new set.

TamsinB

Thanks Donnellysdogs, Ebony and MushyPB!

It's reassuring to hear people getting along well with steel cannulas although I'm sorry to hear MPB is having problems; I hope you manage to find something that works.

Having had a second teflon cannula kink in a day I'm getting pretty fed up with running high and paranoid about inserting another new one. I'm going to give steel a go and fingers crossed it will help. Left a message with my DSN this afternoon so hopefully she'll call tomorrow to talk things through; I might try to make an appointment to review my insertion technique too.

Thanks for your help! :)

iHs

Hi Tamsin

Have you had a go with the Mio? It's meant to be fairly good ( a bit like the Animas Inset II). Also, have you tried lying down when putting a Quickset in. It helps to ensure that the cannula goes in correctly.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tamsin my DSN told the Quickset users in my pump start group to store them in the fridge as the teflon hardens and is less likely to kink. Also the inserters wear out so you might want to check that.

I use the Animas Inset II and was told that with these type of devices to stop kinking:

1. Stand up to insert
2. Use a flat area of skin
3. Don't push the set down onto your skin too hard, especially if you are slim
4. Make sure you push both buttons together equally, otherwise one side hits first and bends the set kinking it.

Hope that helps too :)

TamsinB

iHs - Never heard of the Mio but it looks quite neat. Thanks for the tip off!

MPB - Great tip, I'll pop an infusion set in the fridge overnight and try it in the morning. I do all the things you recommend for a good insertion, at first I wondered whether I was hesitating pressing the buttons and pressing one before the other but I quickly learned to just go for it and now I'm sure I press at the same time.

I've been watching some videos and can't see any difference in my technique (my husband agrees). Will keep at it and keep my fingers crossed.

I really appreciate your feedback, it's a great reassurance.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We don't know anything other than the steel cannula because that's the only one we've used. I can't tell you first-hand what they feel like but my daughter says she can't feel them at all. She wears the cannula sited on her bottom and has no problem sitting and doing rolly polly's etc. Once or twice we've inserted a cannula and she's immediately said it's uncomfortable, must have just been in a bad spot. We took it out immediately and re-sited it without problem. She's using the 6mm steel cannulas, you can get longer ones.

When you use a steel set make sure you read the instructions, the priming is different to the teflon ones I believe.

TamsinB

Well I tried sticking my new infusion set in the fridge overnight and this morning's change over seems to have worked. I wonder if the recent hot weather has had something to do with the kink problem?

Still waiting for the DSN to call me back to discuss steel sets but have been doing some research online and ordered a box of Sure-T sets in the meantime. I understand you don't have to prime the 'cannula' once inserted since the needle is primed along with the tubing - makes perfect sense but I probably wouldn't have figured that out for myself :?

Not sure how many roly-polys I'll be doing but I imagine that bodes well for my yoga classes!