Charcot patients, how long?

How long did it take before you were allowed to remove the cast?

• 1-2 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4-6 months

• 6-9 months

• 9-12 months

• Total voters

xsta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with Charcot foot a couple of months ago and am in a wheelchair at the moment. All of the metatarsal bones are fractured, other damage too.

But my actual question to those of you who’ve had Charcot: how long did it take to get better (or, at least when did you get your cast removed)?

My doc said that probably goes at least to the beginning of 2020, but of course there’s the checkups which might change things to one way or another.

Here’s a pic of my foot from the side, does not show the damage as good as from top/below though.

xsta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here’s a couple of pics of it:

1pXKi07JadQS3Bh6FDOcVmA@2x.jpeg

AA6DD4DE-30DC-42D3-9D3A-0ED1F7D56EF8.jpeg

(edited by mod to remove link)

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-1_20-34-48.jpeg
    upload_2019-9-1_20-34-48.jpeg
    282.5 KB · Views: 315
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Winnie53

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My friend had her surgery six months ago for Charcot Foot. She was in her cast for 3 months, and her pre-surgery x-ray looks very similar to yours. She did everything she was instructed to do.

She worked hard to keep her glucose levels below 200 mg/dl (US) 11.2 mmol/l (UK) with fasting and pre-meal blood glucose levels well below that pre- and post-surgery - (she will not give up her beloved potato!). She also did band exercises in bed for improved blood circulation. Her husband would wheel her around for a change of scenery.

She had a lot of fear going into the surgery. We were unsure if she'd go through with it.

A few days before the surgery, she met a woman who had part of her foot amputated - (not due to Charcot Foot) - and was amazed at how well she was able to walk on it and get around. That gave her the confidence to go forward with the surgery. It has been life changing for her. She's walking and driving again. The surgery was successful.

Keep us posted on your progress. And take pictures. You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll forget the milestones on this journey. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: Brunneria

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Caste/non weight bearing until bone reformation begins. 3-6 months. There is acute phase with high temps in the foot, this is when bone is absorbed and most damage occurs. Chronic phase starts after inflammtion stops and foot is back to normal temps. This is when bone reconstruction occurs. You then have to wait until any fractured bones have healed.