Type 2 Check ups

Jenmy

Hi I’m wondering if everyone else is still having diabetic checks done over the phone. I haven’t been seen for over two years and I can’t understand why checks can’t be done face to face now.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I’m wondering if everyone else is still having diabetic checks done over the phone. I haven’t been seen for over two years and I can’t understand why checks can’t be done face to face now.

I know my hospital appointments are still being done remotely (which actually makes it a lot easier for me), for my diabetic checks at the docs ie. the one where they did the foot checks, blood pressure, weight etc have been in person throughout the pandemic anyway

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My review is face to face tomorrow
I thought the government had told doctors to start them all up again?

Jenmy

I know my hospital appointments are still being done remotely (which actually makes it a lot easier for me), for my diabetic checks at the docs ie. the one where they did the foot checks, blood pressure, weight etc have been in person throughout the pandemic anyway

That’s interesting mine have all been over the phone. I’ve just booked my next one expecting it to be in person but no it’s still a telephone appointment!!!
Thanks for your reply.

Jenmy

My review is face to face tomorrow
I thought the government had told doctors to start them all up again?

My surgery is a nightmare you can’t get seen at all and they are still using Covid as the reason. I’m seriously thinking of changing surgeries.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Only the appointments to take blood and my eye and foot checks (at the podiatry clinic) are back to normal. So my nurse never sees me about my diabetes nor even calls if the HbA1c is below 42.

Reactions: Jenmy

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been “seeing” consultant, nurses and now db psychologist all by video link, no face to face, I love it! I hate hospitals/doctors surgeries, I will happily do it this way forever, I can carry on working as normal, then ten minutes before time I find a quiet place or the van and back to work straight after. What’s not to like.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been “seeing” consultant, nurses and now db psychologist all by video link, no face to face, I love it! I hate hospitals/doctors surgeries, I will happily do it this way forever, I can carry on working as normal, then ten minutes before time I find a quiet place or the van and back to work straight after. What’s not to like.
I agree that there are some, myself included, who like more remote and like eco silt and such. I hate speaking to people on the phone and being able to fully explain via textual means takes away forgetting stuff to say

however, I do believe it should be an option, showing a picture of a lump, or not being able to physically manipulate areas of pain needs face to face and unfortunate some surgeries have taken it too far

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I prefer to have video meetings. It is easier all around.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My recent review had the foot checks, blood taken, BP etc done by an HCA in person and was followed up a few weeks later by a phone call from the nurse responsible for diabetes. I appreciate the convenience of a call on many occasions but hated the echo’y and muffled impersonal nature of this last interaction.

I guess it depends a lot on you, your current issue and the person on the other end if calls are a benefit or blight.

Last edited:

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had my annual review at the surgery and my foot and eye check at a primary care centre of my choice throughout the pandemic.

EDITED to add: The way they have done the checks has been adjusted, before the pandemic, I would go get a blood test then a week or so later have the review, since the pandemic I have gone to the surgery for bloods and the review has been done at the same time - its on the understanding is that if bloods come back with queries, someone will contact me by phone.

Last edited:

Jenmy

Thanks for all the replies. We all seem to be having different experience’s. I haven’t had a foot check for over two years. I go to hospital for bloods to be taken and then phone surgery to be given a phone appointment about three weeks later. I haven’t even been called for retinal screening.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Last hospital appointment was face to face, having had blood test done at hospital a week before. Blood pressure and foot checks just done for the first time in a few years at the doctors. Retinal screening done at hospital recently.

Dark Horse

Thanks for all the replies. We all seem to be having different experience’s. I haven’t had a foot check for over two years. I go to hospital for bloods to be taken and then phone surgery to be given a phone appointment about three weeks later. I haven’t even been called for retinal screening.
You should definitely have been seen for retinal screening within the last 2 years. Screening was only 'paused' for 3 or 4 months at the beginning of lockdown but after that, extra appointments were made to 'catch up'. Even if you are in one of the areas which has introduced the 'revised screening intervals' (where people who have had 2 successive screenings at which no diabetic retinopathy has been found move to being screened every 2 years) you should have been offered an appointment by now. Please phone your GP surgery to check why you haven't been seen. Alternatively you could phone your local Diabetic Eye Screening Programme.

Jenmy

You should definitely have been seen for retinal screening within the last 2 years. Screening was only 'paused' for 3 or 4 months at the beginning of lockdown but after that, extra appointments were made to 'catch up'. Even if you are in one of the areas which has introduced the 'revised screening intervals' (where people who have had 2 successive screenings at which no diabetic retinopathy has been found move to being screened every 2 years) you should have been offered an appointment by now. Please phone your GP surgery to check why you haven't been seen. Alternatively you could phone your local Diabetic Eye Screening Programme.

Thanks. I have had some background retinopathy and was being seen at hospital but they discharged me back to the GP for screening but they don’t send appointments. The consultant at the glaucoma clinic has contacted them about it but still nothing. This is why I am considering changing surgery but I wanted to check that it’s not the same every where which it obviously isn’t. Now I am convinced I need to change.