Cheese

joelcam

Hi all,

I have noticed that if I have cheese sandwiches for lunch my readings generally are 2mmol higher 2 hrs after than if I have ham, turkey, tuna etc...

Is this something that is true for most people. (i.e is cheese in someway capable of raising you levels or reducing the speed in which they get back to normal?)

Thanks

JC

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Cheese is quite high in fat, and fat slows down the absorption of carbs.

It doesn't raise you sugar level, but it takes longer to lower it, and less of a spike.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The combination of carbs (bread) and fat (cheese) is a deadly combination as far as BG readings go.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Deadly?... Really?... all us veggie diabetics better watch out, we'll be dying out a lot earlier than the meat eaters out there. :lol:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
mmmmmmmmmmmm, cheese on toast......surely that can't be a bad thing?! :lol:

Bah. Tuna on toast just isn't the same!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
shedges said:
Deadly?... Really?... all us veggie diabetics better watch out, we'll be dying out a lot earlier than the meat eaters out there. :lol:

I'm with Sam on this one. I'm a meat eater and I also love cheese. I also manage a couple of slices of crusty white bread with NO ill effects at all, maybe that's just me....maybe it's because I lost so much weight and had great control of Bg numbers whatever, it certainly makes lunches and snacks more interesting and tasty.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agree with Celtic.Piskie answer.

Cheese, I just love cheese! :D

It has got to be the mature cheddars for me, the stronger the better! My favourite cheese by far, and most likely the unhealthiest is blue cheese. Once on our wedding anniversary, we ate at quite a nice expensive restaurant near to where I live, I had a fillet steak with melted blue cheese topping, I thought I had died and gone to heaven!!!

Went back some 10 years later, but the restaurant had new owners, and sadly the steak was not up to the same standard.

Blue cheese forever.....

Regards

Nigel

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
noblehead said:

It has got to be the mature cheddars for me, the stronger the better! My favourite cheese by far, and most likely the unhealthiest is blue cheese. Once on our wedding anniversary, we ate at quite a nice expensive restaurant near to where I live, I had a fillet steak with melted blue cheese topping, I thought I had died and gone to heaven!!!

Went back some 10 years later, but the restaurant had new owners, and sadly the steak was not up to the same standard.

Blue cheese forever.....

Regards

Nigel

mmmm, my biggest guilty pleasure is a really mature cheddar with some poppy seed crackers!! Not good for the BG though :( so I have to count the crackers out before hand and then close the box FIRMLY :lol:

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
It's certainly not deadly to me !

I love my cheese, get a gorgeos cheddar with roasted peppers and nions from a local farm.
MMMMmmmm.....
Cannot stand blue cheese -yuck lol. Cammembert, brie absolutely great. White stilton with fruits are good to... but blue cheese...

Which is very odd as i absolutely love blue cheese sauce with mushrooms :S

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I said:
The combination of carbs (bread) and fat (cheese) is a deadly combination as far as BG readings go.

C'mon folks - you can't seriously believe that when I wrote that I was thinking that eating cheese sandwiches WOULD KILL YOU.

Do any of you believe that the combination of fat and refined carbs does NOT have a negative impact on BG levels?

Thought not.

joelcam

I think eating cheese could kill you.....if you were a mouse and it was attached to a mouse trap...other than that I agree that I notice higher than normal blood sugars if I eat cheese and carbs together definately...

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Patch said:
I said:

C'mon folks - you can't seriously believe that when I wrote that I was thinking that eating cheese sandwiches WOULD KILL YOU.

Do any of you believe that the combination of fat and refined carbs does NOT have a negative impact on BG levels?

Thought not.

Don't know about you Patch but as far as I am concerned that combination has no real effect on my Bg levels. No more than some other foods. So I can enjoy a Cheese sandwich when I want.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Another posting that again proves how differently we all react to different foods, whatever type of diabetes we have. A cheese sandwich is fine for me, no discernible difference in blood sugar readings from any other kind of sandwich (which means near-flat bg levels, my personal benchmark). I'm on insulin though so I have it easy right?

noblehead said:

Blue cheese forever.....

Regards

Nigel
That is notably undespicable... I also love blue cheese...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
clarinettedn06 said:
noblehead said:

Blue cheese forever.....

Regards

Nigel
That is notably undespicable... I also love blue cheese...

Yes its the best by far, but do remember that cheese is rather high in saturated fat and salt , so everything in moderation!

Here is a very good site giving some useful info on including cheese on a low-fat diet:

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/faqs/f/cheese.htm

Nigel

jopar

Hurmmm

Nobodies mentioned the fact that cheese is a protien source, and protien does all bit it at a very slow rate turn into glucose not all of it.. But enough that for some can raise the BG..

When I have cheese I always allow a small amount of insulin to cover the raise..

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Quite right Jopar.......I just use smaller portions and no extra meds. :D

Ken

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I love this, I can eat cheese til the cows come home (pun intended!) and no effect on my BG! Obviously the protein factor comes in to play a touch but not so much that I would need to bolus. I actually don't eat much cheese due to the fat content but that is just a personal choice of mine. I love a nice, strong cheddar! together with a nice green apple.......yum!

badmedisin

But if it's the protein thing, surely meat would be worse?

I tend to go for cheese rather than meat in meals cos it's easier to prepare (and I'm addicted to cheese) but it doesn't seem to make a difference to my BG. The main thing that gives me problems is pulses. On Dafne they said we didn't need to count certain things as their effect on BG is negligible. These included pulses, cherries and sweet potato. But I definitely have to count all these things as they have a marked effect on my BG. Sadly it really messes with my ratio of insulin to carbs. Yesterday I made a curry with lentils, sweet potato and paneer but I used my normal ratio and went hypo. Grr! Stupid GI...