Chia seeds, what do I do with them?

Fluffyfred

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I notice a lot of you eat chia seeds, I would love to know what I should do with them and what carbs they / the dishes contain.
I was diagnosed as ‘pre diabetic ‘ 3 weeks ago and am trying to teach myself from what I read here.
Thanks

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I notice a lot of you eat chia seeds, I would love to know what I should do with them and what carbs they / the dishes contain.
I was diagnosed as ‘pre diabetic ‘ 3 weeks ago and am trying to teach myself from what I read here.
Thanks
I sprinkle a few on Greek yoghurt.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chia seeds absorb fluid and swell, they appear to have a lot of carbs but most of those are fibre so the net carb count is low
You can make all mnner of puddings with them by adding different flavourings / berries / etc
https://www.eatingbirdfood.com/basic-chia-seed-pudding/
To get a less tapioca like end result, give the mixture a whizz in a blender before setting
I prefer to use white chia seeds but both black and white ones have no real flavour of their own and are identical in terms of nutritional profile

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made up my own chia pudding recipe, to incorporate them and Benecol yoghurt drink into my daily meal plan. I mix one natural Benecol drink, 4 level tsps of chia seeds, 2 level tsps cocoa powder and 2 level tsps of sugar free maple syrup. Give it a good stir and store in the fridge overnight. Works out at 3.7g carbs.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks

I get the "Super Seeds with Quinoa and Chia from Morrison's and mix 50- 100g of them with the same amount of Pea, Olive and Quinoa salad, add 100g of 50g ground pistachio or cashews, or some other ground nut, (grind them yourself so nobody adds any junk) 50-100g of mixed fresh berries and their juices, mix together and add about 5 Tablespoons of cold Almond Milk, stir well sprinkle with cinnamon and eat it up. Chase it with 200g of whole white milk.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get the "Super Seeds with Quinoa and Chia from Morrison's and mix 50- 100g of them with the same amount of Pea, Olive and Quinoa salad, add 100g of 50g ground pistachio or cashews, or some other ground nut, (grind them yourself so nobody adds any junk) 50-100g of mixed fresh berries and their juices, mix together and add about 5 Tablespoons of cold Almond Milk, stir well sprinkle with cinnamon and eat it up. Chase it with 200g of whole white milk.
What happens to your blood glucose after that lot?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What happens to your blood glucose after that lot?

11a Glucose 86/4.8

Snack

1 orange
1 cup green detox tea

Lunch 1 am
50g Super Seeds w Quinoa and Chia Pea, 50g Olive, and Quinoa Salad
50g Ground cashews, witH Almond Milk
1 330mml can of Diet Coke

Snack 2:30
4 sausage (pigs in blankets)
2 330ml cans Diet Coke.
1 banana

Glucose 3pm 113/6.3

Dinner 5:30p
3 1/2 Jalapeños stuffed with cheddar and wrapped in bacon
20g Super Seeds w Quinoa and Chia Pea, 20g Olive, and Quinoa Salad
2 330ml can Diet Coke

Glucose 7:30p 113/6.3

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
11a Glucose 86/4.8

Snack

1 orange
1 cup green detox tea

Lunch 1 am
50g Super Seeds w Quinoa and Chia Pea, 50g Olive, and Quinoa Salad
50g Ground cashews, witH Almond Milk
1 330mml can of Diet Coke

Snack 2:30
4 sausage (pigs in blankets)
2 330ml cans Diet Coke.
1 banana

Glucose 3pm 113/6.3

Dinner 5:30p
3 1/2 Jalapeños stuffed with cheddar and wrapped in bacon
20g Super Seeds w Quinoa and Chia Pea, 20g Olive, and Quinoa Salad
2 330ml can Diet Coke

Glucose 7:30p 113/6.3
Wow .. mine would be through the roof with those carbs.. and you really have 5 cans of diet coke? every day?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make chocolate chia pudding. This ratio sets the pudding firm so it’s a bit like a dense mousse:

For 4 portions:

240 ml unsweetened almond milk
120 ml double cream
64g chia seeds
25g of the darkest lowest carb cocoa you can find (mine is 12g per 100g)
30g erythritol (adjust if you use another sweetener)

Mix everything up in a jug, add to ramekins and stick in the fridge to set. Best overnight.

Serve with cream.

Reactions: Fluffyfred

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make chocolate chia pudding. This ratio sets the pudding firm so it’s a bit like a dense mousse:

For 4 portions:

240 ml unsweetened almond milk
120 ml double cream
64g chia seeds
25g of the darkest lowest carb cocoa you can find (mine is 12g per 100g)
30g erythritol (adjust if you use another sweetener)

Mix everything up in a jug, add to ramekins and stick in the fridge to set. Best overnight.

Serve with cream.
Sounds good. I might try that.

Reactions: Goonergal

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds good. I might try that.
Me too. And the other recipes. I use mine in a nutty cracker recipe instead of flaxseeds as the chias seem to set the mixture better. But, wear your LC 'badge' with pride! In other words, check that the little blighters haven't got stuck between your teeth before you smile. I speak from experience.... :oops:

sunburst69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sprinkle a few on Greek yoghurt.
Chia seeds have a very good nutrition profile-high in good fat, high protein for a seed and low net carb due to high fiber content. For starters - add to yogurt/pudding, dry or hot cereal, stews and many baking recipes. As previously posted, take into account the fact that they absorb fluid when using. For most people it seems they have a positive effect on energy and BG.

Reactions: Fluffyfred