Chia seeds...what's the deal?

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never tried them but have seen they are good for a low Carb diet.
Before I buy some....what do they taste like? Do you need to soak them first? Do they lower the overall Carb count of a meal?

Thanks

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I've never tried them but have seen they are good for a low Carb diet.
Before I buy some....what do they taste like? Do you need to soak them first? Do they lower the overall Carb count of a meal?

Thanks

I sprinkle some in my yogurt, I can’t taste them. I eat them as a source of fiber. I don’t soak them. Sometimes they get caught in my teeth and I have a chia smile

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @B17_Fan, they don't really have a taste. You can soak them, if you want to make chia pudding for example, or you can add them to foods as they are for a bit of crunch, don't try and swallow a spoonful though because they can get stuck in your throat and then swell up if you try to rinse them down.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use them for added fibre, I make a Chia pudding with milk alternatives and some flavouring, I often use instant coffee or unsweetened cocoa. I’m with @LaoDan with the chia smile!

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do they help with weight loss?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
They absorb a lot of liquid so if you have them raw make sure to just try a small amount and drink lots of water.
They make a good uncooked berry jam as they thicken the juice (usually boiling with lots of sugar thickens jam). I have a raspberry chia jam occasionally, but also add chai seeds to my milled flaxseed 'porridge'.
I find eating more than one spoonful a day can cause digestive issues.

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They absorb a lot of liquid so if you have them raw make sure to just try a small amount and drink lots of water.
They make a good uncooked berry jam as they thicken the juice (usually boiling with lots of sugar thickens jam). I have a raspberry chia jam occasionally, but also add chai seeds to my milled flaxseed 'porridge'.
I find eating more than one spoonful a day can cause digestive issues.

I was going to sprinkle them on some cereal, just to try. Have you really got to drink loads of water with them? What happens if you don't?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was going to sprinkle them on some cereal, just to try. Have you really got to drink loads of water with them? What happens if you don't?
If you put some in a glass and add some water you'll see what happens!
Swells to frogspawn type gel gloopy thing
And yes I do use them

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe have the chia and skip the cereal. The high carb level will probably cause a spike and a crash. Undesirable in RH.