Chinese For Dinner

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hubby wanted a Chinese tonight. As my numbers have been really good this week, I felt as though I had a little wriggle room.

I had half a portion of Kung po pork, no rice.

Before the meal I was 5.9 and two hrs after 7.2 so a rise of 1.3.

The other half is in the fridge, if my numbers are still good tomorrow, I might finish it off.

Beyond delighted.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hubby wanted a Chinese tonight. As my numbers have been really good this week, I felt as though I had a little wriggle room.

I had half a portion of Kung po pork, no rice.

The other half is in the fridge, if my numbers are still good tomorrow, I might finish it off.

Beyond delighted.
Why wait till tomorrow 7.2 after 2 hours is fine.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you finish it off tomorrow, I suggest you test at 2 hours but also at 3 just to make sure the 2 hour reading was on the way down and not on the way further up. The theoretical 1 hour peak followed by a big fall at 2 hours doesn't always happen just so.

Reactions: xfieldok

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you finish it off tomorrow, I suggest you test at 2 hours but also at 3 just to make sure the 2 hour reading was on the way down and not on the way further up. The theoretical 1 hour peak followed by a big fall at 2 hours doesn't always happen just so.
I agree, it will be 3 hrs at 9.30 and intend to test again. Thanks.

Reactions: Antje77

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why wait till tomorrow 7.2 after 2 hours is fine.
If I eat a large amount I find I spike. I am too cautious to eat a full portion plus have something which may be loaded with who knows what. My numbers have been great these past few days, I don't want to upset the applecart.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve never been brave enough to eat anything but crispy duck (only one pancake and a mere smear of sauce) from a Chinese since my diagnosis, maybe I should brave a small portion of Kung Po Pork next time!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You're local Chinese restaurant doesn't happen to be located within 20 km from Sint Annaparochie, does it? Not sure what Kung Po pork is (different menu in the Netherlands), but now I want it!
I still have some leftover Chinese in the freezer from the last time I told myself I could 'just dose' for it. But nope, either it isn't doable with injected insulin or I have to practice more. This Kung Po Pork sounds manageable though :)

Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not going to get complacent but I can't help being a tiny bit excited.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're local Chinese restaurant doesn't happen to be located within 20 km from Sint Annaparochie, does it? Not sure what Kung Po pork is (different menu in the Netherlands), but now I want it!
I still have some leftover Chinese in the fridge from the last time I told myself I could 'just dose' for it. But nope, either it isn't doable with injected insulin or I have to practice more. This Kung Po Pork sounds manageable though :)
Sorry, it's in the UK .

Will definitely sample other stuff from them, numbers permitting.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, it's in the UK .

Will definitely sample other stuff from them, numbers permitting.
Please let us know how you get on. Reading about eating Chinese food doesn't equal eating it, but I still like it!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok. So the Kung po pork looked a bit dry and unappealing.

Off to the Chinese again. This time I had a half portion of beef, ginger and spring onion.

I also had three chicken wings in some kind of coating.

Before 5.9 after 2 hrs 8.2 a rise of 2.3. The after reading is the highest in weeks.

The remaining chicken wings are now in the dog.

Chinese meals are definitely back on the menu as a strictly occasional treat. But not the chicken wings.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I particularly like chicken wings and there are lots to choose from in various marinades at supermarkets, but whether they are Buffalo wings, hickory smoked wings, Chinese wings or any other type they always seem to have sugar or honey or are just plain nasty. So I make my own with a Scotch Bonnet pepper, onion, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and lime juice marinade and they are excellent in my not very humble opinion.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It sounds good. I have done some thighs with herbs and spices, coated with pork scratchings. They are hard to grind down to crumbs though.

Maradona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find Chinese ok. I have chicken chowmien and beef in green pepper and black bean sauce. I only have half a portion of egg fried rice and a glass or two of wine. Its very surprising that BG peaks at about 8 which seems fine. While if had a sandwich it would peak at over 9.
I often have Indian ready meals as a healthy meal if looking at my bg results.