1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Chinese restaurant

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Brookesy, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Brookesy

Brookesy · Member

So, family visit to a Chinese where I’ve been told ‘i have to eat’ - I can get my blood sugars low (4-5) before going by manipulating my diet in advance. The restaurant is fairly typical / standard menu - any advice on the least bad thing I can get? (Baring in mind I’m also vegetarian, but not vegan)

2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Egg foo yong without the rice?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So if you had severe allergy to shellfish, they'd take you to fish restaurant and make you eat?
    All i can think is that the restaurant may do you an omelette and/or some stir-fry veg without a sauce. Perhaps call or visit before to discuss it with them?

Chinese food is the most difficult for diabetic, and the Chinese have a faster growing rate of diabetes than any other nation, even the US and it is because so much sugar has crept into their diets in sauces etc

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Brookesy

Brookesy · Member

Had omelet - was rank, but kept the peace!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hug Hug x 2
  5. Brookesy

Brookesy · Member

To clarify - I like omelet, but not like that. Seafood - I’ve been taken, and I do have a shellfish allergy lol well intolerance more than allergy

6. MrsA2

perhaps suggest Indian next time? :) our local one does some very nice 'dry' dishes that don't raise my bs at all

7. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Stir fried tofu and veggies is always an option.. I live in Asia, I know how difficult ordering food can be

8. Brookesy

Brookesy · Member

Love Indian - but seem to be in the minority :-(

9. Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi @MrsA2 - I used to love indian food - was probably addicted many years ago - before diabetes - I very rarely have it now - may be once a year - can I ask what you have that does not affect your BS - I would love to know and I could perhaps have a little now and then again? - many thanks :hungry:

10. Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I usually just have an omlette if the family are having chinese food delivered to my house but would much prefer a curry!

11. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Crispy duck? and for an Indian I usually go for a chicken or lamb tikka maybe with an aubergine or spinach veg dish (pre carnivore days).

• Like Like x 3
  12. MrsA2

I have sea soup and second starter of dry lamb ulurtariou...ulthurio...ulurthriam..oh heck, .heres the menu
    http://www.thekerala.co.uk/

• Like Like x 1
  13. Justphil

Justphil · Newbie

I have had Diabetes type 1 since July and have had Indian twice, i order the Tandoori mixed grill, it comes with a vegetable curry. I tell them not to send the rice and instead to send two chapatis because chapatis are not made from wheat flour, (but i would check this at your local Indian.

I also order a Tarka Dhal (garlic flavoured lentil soup)

I have one chapati with the veg curry and save the tarka Dhal and one of the chapatis for my supper.

I dont eat the potatoes in the veg curry and my BGL stay nice and low.
    You can also ask them to change the curry sauce, sometimes i swap this for a bhuna however the bhuna sauce can be very oily.

I will also add im a type 1 so take insulin. (So if it was slightly higher i just adjust that) but its never taken me above 7.5

14. hannahdavies1993

hannahdavies1993 Type 1 · Newbie

Hi i am new to this forum so there is a lot to take in. Does anyone recommend anything you can eat from either Chinese or Indian. I am type 1 diabetic high sugar levels but past few days they have varied between 6-10

15. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

If you are trying to cut cabs then crispy duck without the panackes for chinese and a dry dish like tikka (chicken or lamb) for the inidan maybe with a low carb veg dish,.. spinach , aubergine or mushroom?

16. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@hannahdavies1993 egg foo yung is a decent one to have from a Chinese takeaway, it's mainly egg.
    Takeaways always make me sky-high at 3-4am :arghh:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook