Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Andy12345 said:
thank you , I was just shocked it didn't kill me,

I feel the same with some kebab shops - deffo very dodgy

Still, I think more people die from eating a dicky oyster and you are probably more likely to die as a result of going to hospital than eating a take away.

This book, Three Good Things on a Plate is a snip for £7.99 at WH Smiths

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... on-a-plate

Very simple combos of foods which complement each other. Lots of good ideas to be found.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sean51 said:
I thought if one was not diabetic then their bs would never go above 6 as their pancreas is producing proper insulin to keep the levels right

It will go up but the insulin response will kick in sooner and bring it back down quicker. 30 to 60 mins is the period when BG is highest normally, though it does vary from food to food.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

When we go for a chinese meal together .

I always 'choose' the lettuce wrap parcels .
I know its a starter meal - but I order it as a main meal for myself :thumbup:

Hubby has whatever he fancies and I enjoy the lettuce wrap parcels .
They have it in both chicken n vegs 'or' just vegetarian ...
I love the ritual of playing with it all n maiking up the parcels etc.
Then happily munch away on them - so yummy ! :p

Anna.

bluewest710

Can I suggest you pop along to the Chinese Restaurant and explain your situation to the chef. Like you many people have Diabetes and they are coping with it every day. Our local has a sign up saying anyone with any dietary requirements or allergies please ask for help and advise.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Last night we had beef with cashew nuts, chinese curry, beef in black bean sauce and beansprouts. Had great levels after. Gonna have to make Chinese a regular occurrence!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
SamJB said:
Last night we had beef with cashew nuts, chinese curry, beef in black bean sauce and beansprouts. Had great levels after. Gonna have to make Chinese a regular occurrence!

I had this Singapore style stir fry last night, http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/singa ... odle_89281

The recipe uses rice noodles but I used blue dragon wholewheat noodles which work for me. You pre boil those for 4 mins before adding to a stir fry. Other than that I used some thinly sliced mangetout rather than beansprouts and cut back a little on the oil otherwise pretty much as per the recipe.

It works well with several other things. A favourite of mine is king prawn.

Hardest part of oriental cooking is getting stocked up on 'basics' but many standard dishes are transformed by the addition of lime zest and/or juice, lime leaves, lemongrass, fresh ginger which are available at any supermarket these days. Lots of butchers or farm shops sell good quality chicken breasts in bulk thesedays. I always have chicken and king prawns in the freezer. They go well together and you only have to decide how you want to spice them.

Finzi

Yorksman, are beansprouts bad?

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 4.5 and 5.5 mmol. 20kg lost so far :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
From memory Beansprouts are around 3-5g of carbs per 100g weight, so they are low-carb if that's what your wanting to know.

A

Anonymous

Finzi said:

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 4.5 and 5.5 mmol. 20kg lost so far :)

Hi, I am T2 diet only. I don't think the occasional kebab or other takeaway will result in long-term complications, which I understand are the result of persistent high readings. Just a temporary , occasional possible 'blip'. I just try to live with the guilt (just a little) the next day and carry on as normal.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finzi said:

Just didn't have any in that's all. I always have mangetout and sugar snap peas in and sliced into thin strips, they always go well in a stir fry, but you don't want to cook them for more than 30 secs. They are similar to beansprouts carb wise, about 6g per 100g.

peterlemer

Spare ribs are a great suggestion! Simply ask the chef not to add sauce. I do this all the time, and the takeaway guys don't turn a hair.
I splash out ( not literally!) on won ton soup and the two make a good meal.

incidentally my Sainsbury's sell a Blue Dragon won ton soup that has the lowest carb of any soup on their shelves and it's not only delicious, it works beautifully as something to add last night's quinoa, or veggies or stew to. A sort of universal soup base.

pete

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
peterlemer said:
Spare ribs are a great suggestion!

Salt and pepper spare ribs are great and tend to come just sprinkled with chives, chilli and garlic. Some places put them in a thick cornflour batter though, which is obviously no good, but they are easy to make yourself.

jeangoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking, diy (I'm rubbish at it)
I had to miss out on a hen night as they went to a fabulous Chinese restaurant. I'd had my doubts if I could eat anything on the menu and this was confirmed when I phoned as they add sugar to absolutely every dish:(

A

Anonymous

jeangoo said:
I had to miss out on a hen night as they went to a fabulous Chinese restaurant. I'd had my doubts if I could eat anything on the menu and this was confirmed when I phoned as they add sugar to absolutely every dish:(

Tht must have been a blow. Had you not been on medication I would have said go and enjoy yourself and leave the meter at home. :wink:

Finzi

Salt and pepper spare ribs are an absolute staple for me at the Chinese - have had them in numerous restaurants and never had the slightest difficulty. Would agree with won ton soup too. You have to be careful with some Chinese soups because they thicken them with cornflour. Another safe bet is chicken/prawn/beef with ginger and spring onion.

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Most Chinese food is off the charts in sodium - over 5,000 Mg.. Besides that, rice and most noodles are high glycemic.