Chips from the chippy?!?

bonerp

Ok whenever I have chips, especially from the chippy I can't get it right. BGs are generally fairly high over an extended period, up to 6 hrs later!

Any ideas on a good count for these? Ie 20 grams of carbs per 50 grams of chips - just an example?!?

thanks guys and gals

Paul

Reactions: 2 people

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Chip count? No more than 3 chips!

And make them last the time it takes to eat the fish.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
bonerp said:
Ok whenever I have chips, especially from the chippy I can't get it right. BGs are generally fairly high over an extended period, up to 6 hrs later!

Any ideas on a good count for these? Ie 20 grams of carbs per 50 grams of chips - just an example?!?

thanks guys and gals

Paul

Paul.....I think you need to rethink your diet just a tad..... :wink:

Chip Shop Fried Chips. An average portion nowadays is about 400g weight. They have 30.5g carbs
per 100g weight.
So your bag of chips works out like this:
30.5g / 100 = 0.305g carbs per gramme. Mutiply this by 400 = 122g carbs per portion. :shock:

It's little wonder it took so long for your Bg levels to reduce......try having a bag to share with somebody and just have a few, say one fifth (80 grammes) which would give you only 24.4g carbs. Certainly a bit more manageable I think. :D

(Source. Calorie Carb & Fat Bible 2009)

bonerp

OK I didnt ask for a lecture or about rethinking my diet.

Fish and chips once in a blue moon is hardly something so get upset about guys - I was asking for advice on dosing, not that I should eat 3 or rethink my diet.

I am T1 on a pump and this handles pretty much any food I throw at it. All I was asking for is carbs for grams and dosing (ie square wave etc) so that I can manage it more effectively. If i wanted to eat horse food i'd be in the low carb section....

Paul

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Chip Shop Fried Chips. An average portion nowadays is about 400g weight. They have 30.5g carbs
per 100g weight.
So your bag of chips works out like this:
30.5g / 100 = 0.305g carbs per gramme. Mutiply this by 400 = 122g carbs per portion

From this answer you will be able to work out your dosage. The question that was asked I believe?
No one is lecturing just passing an opinion and also answering your question.

bonerp

Sue,
Obviously you will be protecting this forum. I haven't been in here for a while due to some of the negative comments about others lifestyle / bullying and gave it a wide berth due to this very behaviour. Seems to me that unless I comply to the low carb brigade I will be flamed and it happens every time.

I dont eat poorly. I am very fit. I actually have a good diet and usually always consider what I eat. But having chips was a one off treat and they were very nice thanks. All I wanted was some positive advice rather the know it all type comments. I appreciate the anser, however smart alek comments about my diet are not appreciated.

I've joined Diabetes for Life now.
Paul

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Bonerp.
You seem to be labouring under a misapprehension. This forum Diabetes.co.uk is not and never has been a low carb forum. It is a forum for ALL diabetics.

Your original post, which would have been better in the pump forum did not make it clear that Chips were a rare event, in fact you said,
“Ok whenever I have chips, especially from the chippy I can't get it right.”

I do not consider one post from a low carber as flaming nor one, not from a low carber, that was obviously written as banter hence the smilie next to it to be flaming either.

Your question was answered with the carb content of chips so therefore you could work out your calculations much more accurately for your pump, job done.

As for joining DFL well there are many members here who belong to several diabetic forums on the net, it gives them a more rounded experience.

As for smart alek comments. Does answering your question make someone a smart alek ? You asked the question and it was answered by someone with the knowledge. A simple thank you would have sufficed.

bonerp

thankyou oh righteous ones

So I ask a simple question but get told to change my diet or eat 3 chips - then I get lectured by you about my behaviour??!

jeeze - delete my profile from this forum will you.

Reactions: Sani Thomas

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No need. YOU just don't need to come here anymore. It's not the "lo-carb brigade" that makes this a bad place - it's people like YOU that take offense to every person that takes the time to respond. I bet you'd even moan if no-one responded.

Good riddance.

Dr. Nic

All that above aside,
Are you carb counting your battered/breadcrumbed fish as well? As the batter will contain flour which is ~70g CHO per 100g.

My husband loves fish and chips, so as a treat I buy them from the supermarket instead of the chippy, as calculating the carbs is so much easier!

sunnyh

Dislikes
feeling like I am not in control...that is my main pet peeve!!
This is a very interesting thread, as I really believe that all diabetics have to juggle their diets to a certain extent, and it does get tiresome having to be confused all the time! Maybe the answer is to know which of your favourite foods give you the most grief with your readings. You should then be able to walk into a grocery store, and have a basic idea of what you can eat. Yeah, I know...I get tired of all the dietary stuff too. I've had T2 diabetes for almost 11 years, and balancing food has never been easy, but it's necessary. Basically, I have found that I feel better after eating oven chips then I do after eating chip shop fried chips. If a food that I don't normally eat causes my sugars to go through the roof, (like if I have a meal out), I make a note of it in a diary, and try to order safer choices next time. Let's face it, diabetes is not cut and dried. Foods that make your sugars rise one day might have less effect a week later. We're all individuals and react differently. And I think it's pretty much up to us to take control and do what we have to in order to enjoy a decent lifestyle. This saying of my Grandmother comes to mind: Moderation in all things. That is especially good to remember with diabetes. We might not be able to 'splurge' on old favourites like we used to, but if we plan ahead, like go easy on the carbs before you have your chip shop chips, then just maybe have half of what you normally ate...you'll still be able to give yourself that treat. Don't think of it as a sacrifice, but more like a choice in your control.

Happy Eating!!

SunnyH

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've checked out a couple of references and found that chips are something in the region of 18% carb. I'd round that to 20% for calculating insulin doses. All you have to do now is weigh or estimate the portion. then the sums.
Don't forget to factor in the delaying effect of the fat.
A public admission of eating chips is bound to bring a response. The same thing would happen if this were a slimming forum. Chips have a VERY BAD image.
If you do eat a whole portion, you can't be too surprised if people comment.
pinching 3 chips off someone else's plate is the most I'd personally dare have.
Hana

A

Anonymous

bonerp said:

thanks guys and gals

Paul

I made some homemade chips last night although there's basically not much difference from chip shop ones (except no savaloy and 'tickled bunion'). I probably had about 20 chips (about 2 medium spuds worth) but had the same problem as you. High bG and rising after 2 hours. Not an answer, I know but you are not alone. I have eaten the same amount in the form of boiled spuds and didn't get that kind of reading. However, so long as you don't live on chips, what's an occasional spike amongst friends.

Come and join the high-carbers ... I'm lonely here all on my own. :(

sueevans

I made some homemade chips last night although there's basically not much difference from chip shop ones (except no savaloy and 'tickled bunion'). I probably had about 20 chips (about 2 medium spuds worth) but had the same problem as you. High bG and rising after 2 hours. Not an answer, I know but you are not alone. I have eaten the same amount in the form of boiled spuds and didn't get that kind of reading. However, so long as you don't live on chips, what's an occasional spike amongst friends.

Come and join the high-carbers ... I'm lonely here all on my own. :(

sueevans

I had chips today for lunch from the chippy - a small portion and they were lovely but I don't sin often.
The one food than I can't eat at all any more when out is pizza. I tried a thin crust goat cheese and spinach which seemed the best for me on the menu and when I got home I was 18.5 Never again! Now in pizza restaurants I stick to salads sadly - but don't miss them that much.
It's a miserable life if you can't sin on rate occasions.

ono

I had chips today for lunch from the chippy - a small portion and they were lovely but I don't sin often.
The one food than I can't eat at all any more when out is pizza. I tried a thin crust goat cheese and spinach which seemed the best for me on the menu and when I got home I was 18.5 Never again! Now in pizza restaurants I stick to salads sadly - but don't miss them that much.
It's a miserable life if you can't sin on rate occasions.
My strategy with pizza: about 20/30% insulin in advance, the rest 3h later, have a go if you must eat it

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thankyou oh righteous ones

So I ask a simple question but get told to change my diet or eat 3 chips - then I get lectured by you about my behaviour??!

jeeze - delete my profile from this forum will you.

I completely agree, I don't post much on here anymore about what I eat as when I have in the past I get made to feel like I'm a bad diabetic for eating carbs!! I once asked for breakfast advice and was told to switch to a piece of celery. As if. It's the way some people go about saying it as well. Comes across as very rude!

ono

Some people will eat cardboard if it helps lower hb1, I for one prefer to try again and again with splitting doses etc until I get it right, and eat what I fancy (what's the point of it all if you can't enjoy the simpler pleasures of life) but no one should judge other peoples choices

Reactions: 6 people

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
How do you posters cook cardboard? When I boiled it, the result was a bit claggy. However my BG was great.;)

Reactions: 8 people