BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wondered about that, too @Listlad Extra virgin olive oil, anyway - but it doEs tend to have a strong flavour - sometimes peppery, but have seen it described as fruity, too. Might be an interesting option!
There are some recipes for chocolate mousse with EVO....it might work with the right oil.

Reactions: DianaMC

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
DEABAF2E-2FA8-4EB0-BFF1-F4DE80A736A8.jpeg

From Sainsbury’s. £4.50

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @bulkbiker - that’s good to know. I’d seen avo oil in a health food store and was put off by the price tag (can’t recall exactly now but somewhere around £7-12. The supermarket offerings look more within reach!

That said, I’m wondering what else avocado oil is useful for... I’ve heard it’s good for antioxidant type properties. But is it one to cook with, or just pour on salads?

I’ve seen it in Lidl for a couple of quid. Never tried it but always worth a look in the cheaper places.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DianaMC The Willies Cacao arrived today after a long delay with Amazon. Will give it to Mrs Listlad tonight and see what she makes of it.

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are some recipes for chocolate mousse with EVO....it might work with the right oil.

I’m liking the sound of that @BibaBee :) Must admit, I caved and had 3/4 of a dark chocolate mousse at Cote restaurant the other day. It was amazing, though I doubt my body loves me for it. But a home version with no added sugar - that could be a doer!

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DianaMC The Willies Cacao arrived today after a long delay with Amazon. Will give it to Mrs Listlad tonight and see what she makes of it.

Hope you’ve ended up with some nice desserts or hot chocolate type options in the Listlad household @Listlad :)

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
More good news on the chocolate hunt front - at least for those interested in a low carb/no added sugar option. I found a 100% cocoa dark chocolate bar in M&S Food for a mere £2 :) Tastes really good, too. Very bitter, but with a surprisingly smooth, almost creamy texture. Possibly the holy grail of high percentage cocoa bars! @Listlad

Reactions: Listlad

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I read somewhere that it has the highest smoke point of any oil so should be the best for high temperature cooking.. View attachment 31831
I bought some ages ago but rarely used it as I tend these days to use butter or goose fat in cooking. Quite a few people use it for mayo to replace seed oils (avocado being a fruit like olives) and the oil doesn't have much of a taste so if olive is too strong avo could be better. It's also meant to be quite good for skin care too! Just be careful or you might cook yourself!

I like the sound of that @bulkbiker as it sounds so healthy! (Ie high smoke point). Saw it in a health food shop at more than £9 per little bottle and flinched at the cost. I’ll have to try and track it down in a supermarket, instead, where it probably has a more reasonable cost.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought my Avocado oil in Lidl I use it in salad mostly it has not .much taste but I have not used it in cooking I usually cook with butter or coconut oil
Carol

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not yet. It is still in its wrapping. Everything grinds along quite slowly here. We will get there eventually.

I can relate to that situation! I bought some coconut flour early in attempts to try Keto and other low carb recipes - without really researching it. I’ve only used a tiny bit of a huge drum of the stuff, as it seems quite a complicated ingredient on its own. Apparently it’s much happier mixed with almond flour and/or high amounts of liquid ingredients (including eggs). I feel a bit out of my depth with coconut flour tbh - although maybe there’s a kickin’ chocolate based recipe, with plenty of coconut flour somewhere, which would be worth a try!

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought my Avocado oil in Lidl I use it in salad mostly it has not .much taste but I have not used it in cooking I usually cook with butter or coconut oil
Carol

Thanks for the reminder about Lidl. Will see if I can persuade Mr DianaMC to take us to our local one again - he got the hump with them (fairly understandably IMO) for slapping a parking fine on the car window, for no good reason last visit - had to send them a til receipt with the time on that we’d visited to prove we’d done nothing wrong!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can relate to that situation! I bought some coconut flour early in attempts to try Keto and other low carb recipes - without really researching it. I’ve only used a tiny bit of a huge drum of the stuff, as it seems quite a complicated ingredient on its own. Apparently it’s much happier mixed with almond flour and/or high amounts of liquid ingredients (including eggs). I feel a bit out of my depth with coconut flour tbh - although maybe there’s a kickin’ chocolate based recipe, with plenty of coconut flour somewhere, which would be worth a try!
Well...a Eureka moment led to a bright idea for mother’s day. Hot chocolate made with Willies 100% Cacao. But it failed. :D

Firstly Mrs Listlad had to make it. She boiled some water and then put half the block into the boiling water. This produced a rich creamy chocolate mix. Then to avoid putting sugar in we added sweetner at the end with milk. It tasted very rich but there was an underlying bitterness that still lurked despite the sweetner.

For me it was like having the keys to a Formula 1 car without having driven one before. :D

Mrs Listlad said she thought it was quite different to the stuff she had consumed which says had a natural sweetness. So confusion reigned.

Edit : To my untrained palate, we probably added two much Cacao to the mix, it was that strong.

Also, as I have drunk most of it, I am hoping it doesn’t prove to be too much of a laxative.

@DianaMC To be fair to Mrs Listlad, her recipe was very similar to this one:

https://www.williescacao.com/recipes/hot-chocolate/

Last edited:

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well...a Eureka moment led to a bright idea for mother’s day. Hot chocolate made with Willies 100% Cacao. But it failed. :D

Firstly Mrs Listlad had to make it. She boiled some water and then put half the block into the boiling water. This produced a rich creamy chocolate mix. Then to avoid putting sugar in we added sweetner at the end with milk. It tasted very rich but there was an underlying bitterness that still lurked despite the sweetner.

For me it was like having the keys to a Formula 1 car without having driven one before. :D

Mrs Listlad said she thought it was quite different to the stuff she had consumed which says had a natural sweetness. So confusion reigned.

That was a brave attempt, though!

I’m not sure how it works with that format of cacao. But when I’ve used the cacao powder for a hot chocolate drink, I’ve heated milk in a mug in the microwave (almond milk with just a little dairy milk) - then added a large teaspoon of cacao powder and 1-2 sachets of Natvia or xylitol (probably 1/2 to 1 tsp sugar substitute). Also sometimes a sprinkle of cinnamon, on top, as that tastes quite sweet.

With the cacao block, it sounds like it’s about creating a solution or paste. Which sort of reminds me of Camp coffee (without the sugar!) So maybe it’s about the ratios - using less of the boiled cacao solution and more milk type stuff. I use mostly almond milk as I think it has lower carbs than dairy. Maybe coconut milk would also be an option (as in the cartons of the version you’d put on cereal - not the cans of cooking product for curries!)

Hope you won’t give up on this yet. Even Formula 1 drivers would have had to practice a while, to manage a few smooth circuits eventually... :)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I’m not sure how it works with that format of cacao. But when I’ve used the cacao powder for a hot chocolate drink, I’ve heated milk in a mug in the microwave (almond milk with just a little dairy milk) - then added a large teaspoon of cacao powder and 1-2 sachets of Natvia or xylitol (probably 1/2 to 1 tsp sugar substitute). Also sometimes a sprinkle of cinnamon, on top, as that tastes quite sweet.

With the cacao block, it sounds like it’s about creating a solution or paste. Which sort of reminds me of Camp coffee (without the sugar!) So maybe it’s about the ratios - using less of the boiled cacao solution and more milk type stuff. I use mostly almond milk as I think it has lower carbs than dairy. Maybe coconut milk would also be an option (as in the cartons of the version you’d put on cereal - not the cans of cooking product for curries!)

Hope you won’t give up on this yet. Even Formula 1 drivers would have had to practice a while, to manage a few smooth circuits eventually... :)
I add the recipe recommended by Willies....

https://www.williescacao.com/recipes/hot-chocolate/

My wife’s method was quite close to that.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can get any ingredient you like from Amazon.
Or (as I sometimes do) you can research the ingredient on there, get brand names, prices and so on... ;)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can get any ingredient you like from Amazon.
Or (as I sometimes do) you can research the ingredient on there, get brand names, prices and so on... ;)
The Cacao block came via Amazon.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Mrs Listlad simply melted the Cacao block into the boiling water. Seemingly what she normally does.

I did wonder if the sweetner spoiled the taste. Or maybe you get different flavours depending on the source. Ours was Willies Cacao alright, but from Indonesia (via Amazon). Gets a bit complicated......

Good fun to try though.