1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Choice of 3 pumps

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Nometype1andproud, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Nometype1andproud

Nometype1andproud Type 1 · Active Member

Hi folks well finally it has been agreed I can have a pump! So excited.

They have offered me 3 : Minimed 640G, Accucheck Combo or the Accucheck Insight.

I would be grateful of people’s opinions as I haven’t got a clue!

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @Nometype1andproud Best advice is to view users on youtube and see what they post about them - all pumps are pretty much the same as each other, it's just subtle differences that set them apart, I use the 640g with the sure t infusion set, I didn't get on with plastic as was getting sores and red welts from the plastic, the sure t is a steel tip set. Customer service has normally been good, had a few issues with cracked pumps but replaced the next day, couldn't live without mine now though, control is tighter and easier to manage, but this would be the same with any pump, you can also self fund the enlite sensor for the 640g but it's costly around £220 a month I believe so I self fund the Dexcom G6 instead which is very useful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nometype1andproud

4. Nometype1andproud

That’s great advice I shall go and have a look on you tube now!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Juicyj

Staff Member

Youtube is so useful for viewing other users as you can see what their thoughts are, see the pumps and form your own opinion, good luck which ever one you choose :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Nometype1andproud I did exactly what @Juicyj has said. Looked on you tube on users reviews of the different pumps I was offered. I went for the Medtronic 640G 3 weeks ago. A lot to get used too and a lot of tinkering (I do like to tinker lol) to do. I am very happy with it at the moment. Still going to take a fair bit of time to get it all dialed in for me

7. Nometype1andproud

I think I am going to go for the Minimed 640G it looks like the best option for me

• Like Like x 1
  8. Picci

Picci Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I love my insight, it’s all I know though. I love the hand set which means I don’t need to root around for the pump to deliver

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nometype1andproud

I think the Minimed testing unit can also be used to control the pump in the same way, it just seemed the less bulky out of them

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nometype1andproud

Does the Dexcom link up to the pump like the enlisted sensor or are you using them independently?

11. Juicyj

Staff Member

No the Dexcom G6 doesn't link up so it relies on me to interpret the data provided to do my own manual adjustments. However it's a great help as I can check my basal fasting rates as well as my bolus ratio calculations, I also exercise a fair bit and it helps see what's happening when I do, as well as getting alerts for low and high events.

12. Capt-Slog

Capt-Slog LADA · Well-Known Member

Hi, i don't want to cloud your choice and I don't have a pump myself (yet). However I get the impression from one of your questions that you "may" have a possible interest in looping?

I have heard lots of good things about the Minimed 640G from lots of people, however I think I am right in thinking that the only pump on your list that would enable a Closed Loop system is the Accucheck Combo.

In my opinion the best choice of CGM at the moment is the Dexcom G6, but even on their monthly plan, it will cost you £159 per month because you will not get it on the NHS.

I have been lucky enough to qualify for Libre Sensors on the NHS which is saving me about £120 a month. (I used to buy them myself for 18 months).
    If you then buy a MiaoMiao transmitter for approx £159 (ironically) as a one-off purchase, you can turn your Libre FGM into a CGM.
    (I am using this setup myself now and combined with XDrip on my Android phone, it is very good)

So, Libre + MiaoMiao + XDrip + AndroidAPS + Accucheck Combo is effectively the primary building blocks of a DIY Closed Loop system.

Here is the website of someone who has already done it.

https://bionicwookiee.com/2018/10/12/my-insulin-pump/

I am not suggesting that you do this, as everyone has to make up their own minds if they want to go down this route. Also, don't imagine that you are going to get much support from your Endo either..

Just bear in mind that once you have chosen your pump, you will probably be stuck with it for about 3 to 4 years.

Hope this hasn't muddled your choices. Just thought you ought to know that there are more things to consider.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Capt-Slog

Capt-Slog LADA · Well-Known Member

Oh, Good Luck and please let us know which one you choose

• Like Like x 1
  14. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

From my reading of the pros and cons of each I would not opt for any of these. For example, see threads by putting words like
    " 4 Medtronic Pumps" into the Question box upper right of the forum page and 'Accucheck infusion sets"
    Wait a bit and see.
    Meanwhile read" Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution' and then reconsider .

15. Nometype1andproud

That’s great info thanks!

I was thinking about getting the free style libre as is self funded one just to give my fingers a break anyhow but wondering is there an option to input the bs levels manually onto the pump so I don’t have to finger prick test so much as ultimately as my first time on pump I was happy just to have one at all but would still like the freedom of Libre or even the dexcom but no point if I would still need to actually test using the Medtronics tester

16. Nometype1andproud

I don’t really have any other choice those are the only 3 available to me

17. kitedoc

But you can read up on the pros and cons of each.
    Soon a new pump, The Tandem Slim x2 will be available and it is compatible with Dexcom.

18. misspinky1984

misspinky1984 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Same I’m on insight have been since August I’d only change it if the tandem x2 slim came to uk

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. richyb

richyb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have been offered a Medtronic or insight pump to replace an animas which has been faultless/brilliant. I have decided on an Insight.

20. kitedoc

Great 'Insight' !!

• Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook