Choice of pumps

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m on the pump waiting list and had my first meeting with the pump nurse today. After discussing my options I need to decide between Medtronic 780g and tandem t:slim x2. I’m leaning towards the t:slim and wondered if those who use either of these pumps could offer advice.

adamrit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m on the pump waiting list and had my first meeting with the pump nurse today. After discussing my options I need to decide between Medtronic 780g and tandem t:slim x2. I’m leaning towards the t:slim and wondered if those who use either of these pumps could offer advice.
I’ve had endless problems with Medtronic 640g/Contour Next Link 2.4 communication in terms of uploading diabetic results and info to produce Carelink Reports. Sorted today with 1 hour support phone call. I don’t trust the Medtronic 3 sensor (mostly 2-3 points wrong. I have to do 6-8 BG tests pd with an Accuchek Mobile (now discontinued) but I am an impatient old man who has put up with 68 years of diabetes type 1.
I am offered a 780g with a Sensor 4 as my next pump in September. Is the Sensor 4 really any better in people’s experience? Does anyone else have problems with Carelink? My pump and the contour both say they recognise each other, but the Carelink Uploader programme has said they aren’t linked for the last three days. Solved when the helpline said delete the links and re-link them. If the pump and meter says they are linked, what is wrong with the software that it doesn’t recognise it And just says “Try again?”
I think I will have to try a different replacement pump if I have any more problems with the Carelink software.

Reactions: AnnJohnston

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@AnnJohnston will you also have the CGM for Closed Loop?
If so, I have heard much better about Dexcom with the T-slim than the Guardian sensors (for Medtronic).

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the differences between the Medtronic M780g/G4 and the Tandem/Dexcom are probably negligible in terms of the overall control they can offer the average T1.
I started with the M780g approximately 6 weeks ago and I’m getting great results, just as I’m sure I would with the TSlim.
For me the biggest game changer isn’t so much the pump itself, but the Extended Wear 7 day infusion sets it uses - if you have access to them. They are so comfortable to use, less intrusive with fewer concerns about arranging my activities around frequent set changes.
It’s swings and roundabouts and has been said before, it’s important to list your needs/wants and compare.

Last edited:

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As someone on the 780g/G4 (no experience of tslim/dexcom) I don’t have any issues with the 780. Sometimes it can be out with my blood sugar but like with anything no technology is perfect and I wouldn’t expect it to be 100%. My latest HbA1c with the 780 was 40 so can’t be doing that bad!

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have no experience with 780G, think it weighs slightly more, slightly larger, holds more insulin. I'm a t:slim user and can say with an hba1c of 38 I'm very pleased with it. Been pumping a good few yrs.

D

Deleted member 574368

Hi I am scheduled to get a pump from my local CCG but I am concerned about choice as I am going to retire to Cambodia and I am wondering about the cost/availability of consumables? As you know you can buy almost anything anywhere via the internet but as you all know availability is critical.

Can anyone recomend a pharmacy that can supply? I already have Pharmacity in Vietnam but when visiting sometimes their supplier can be a little slow.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve had endless problems with Medtronic 640g/Contour Next Link 2.4 communication in terms of uploading diabetic results and info to produce Carelink Reports. Sorted today with 1 hour support phone call. I don’t trust the Medtronic 3 sensor (mostly 2-3 points wrong. I have to do 6-8 BG tests pd with an Accuchek Mobile (now discontinued) but I am an impatient old man who has put up with 68 years of diabetes type 1.
I am offered a 780g with a Sensor 4 as my next pump in September. Is the Sensor 4 really any better in people’s experience? Does anyone else have problems with Carelink? My pump and the contour both say they recognise each other, but the Carelink Uploader programme has said they aren’t linked for the last three days. Solved when the helpline said delete the links and re-link them. If the pump and meter says they are linked, what is wrong with the software that it doesn’t recognise it And just says “Try again?”
I think I will have to try a different replacement pump if I have any more problems with the Carelink software.
I‘ve never used the 640, but have used 670G for 5 years. Most of that time was problematic, but several months ago things have changed and it’s working quite well. So, I’m now inclined to upgrade to Medtronic 780g. I’ve read about issues with TSlim a Medtronic too, so none are issue free, imo.

Ref, the uploading via Carelink reports. I have found that if it tells me a report is not available I look up to the Categories on the screen. I then click on CGM, instead of Pump. Apparently, some reports are only available in CGM category. The others pump. I hope that helps you get more access.

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to everyone :) after a bit more googling I’ve gone for the t:slim. Just need to wait till I get to the top of the list now!