Choices ??

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Just some thoughts

I had the thought this morning that managing diabetes is a matter of choices.
Self management depends on INFORMED CHOICE. What this forum exchanges is INFORMATION. the choices we make are our own.
The first one is probably
Do I take control of this thing or let my Healthcare team keep control?
For example; what level of blood glucose do Iwant to achieve? the recommended by "experts" or Normal?
What do I eat for Dinner? how much carb? how much medicine?
Do I have that treat?
Do I try for diet control or do I expect medication alone to provide the control I want?
What substitutions will work in menus and recipes?
Do I get up early and go to the gym?
Do I walk to the bus stop or drive to where I'm going?
It's choices all the time in adult life. Some of us diabetics are choosing from a slightly altered menu.
Hana

losinen

I know what you mean Hana, it is just not always easy to make the right choices when you have conflicting information from the professionals.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
That's what I think is the positive aspect of diabetes - well Type 2 as that is the only form that I have experience with. You do have many many choices to make. I don't think there are many conditions like this where you can directly affect your wellbeing by your own actions. It's a challenge to get your teeth into.

Highlanders

Dislikes
Those who try to tell me what I should do. Pompous, arrogant people who think they know everything after 5 minutes!
Good post hanadr. Life is all about choices and diabetes is all part of life, for some of us anyway!

Defren

Controlling your condition is about choices, absolutely! Some people choose not to control, some fight like crazy and others take middle roads of either vastly cutting carbs, to portion control, eating a reduced GI diet. As with all things in life, we need to do what we feel we should or can. Some of try different things, ultra carbs, supplements, extreme diets, etc, but we have to do what we have to do. No one should feel bad for choices we make, so long as we feel they are right for us!

Good post Hana.

paul_melb

Yes, it is a great post. I take inspiration from those here who have chosen to take control, experiment and share information. Without those people I would be struggling to find my way ( still am struggling a bit). Everyone who posts here adds to the body of knowledge and understanding.