Cholesterol and hflc

Marval81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed type 2 in January 2015 and admit to having been in denial since. I am obese, rarely remember to take my metformin but my diet is pretty good, just a bit excessive. My blood results took a turn for the worse this time so it gave me a bit of a wake up call.
My husbands blood glucose is consistently worse than mine but will he see a Dr? ...........
My daughters levels are good but I can just see her treading my well worn path.
Time to take action.
So we are all now on HFLC diet, well more KETO really. We are loving it and losing weight.
I am interested to hear from those of you taking this route.
How are you cholesterol levels with the HFLC? My husband has angina in his family but reacts badly to statins. Any advice?
Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get full lipid profiles when you have the tests and do a lot of reading.
My total cholesterol has gone up but I don't think that is a genuine marker of CVD.
The current thinking is that the ratio of Triglyceride to HDL is a far more important marker. I also had a CAC scan which actually looks at arterial plaque rather than guesses using "cholesterol".
Try www.cholesterolcode.com for some eye opening data as well as a method for "hacking" your cholesterol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dbr10

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Marval81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks to you both. Sorry to take so long to reply. Life got in the way for a while.
My HbA1c was right down at my recent three month test. My weight is stable but I am not loosing. I am now off Metformin and my Dr does not think I need medication. He has stopped checking my cholesterol as he’s not worried about it. So far so good.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to you both. Sorry to take so long to reply. Life got in the way for a while.
My HbA1c was right down at my recent three month test. My weight is stable but I am not loosing. I am now off Metformin and my Dr does not think I need medication. He has stopped checking my cholesterol as he’s not worried about it. So far so good.
Wow your doctor sounds like a keeper.. he must be well informed on current science.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
I was diagnosed type 2 in January 2015 and admit to having been in denial since. I am obese, rarely remember to take my metformin but my diet is pretty good, just a bit excessive. My blood results took a turn for the worse this time so it gave me a bit of a wake up call.
My husbands blood glucose is consistently worse than mine but will he see a Dr? ...........
My daughters levels are good but I can just see her treading my well worn path.
Time to take action.
So we are all now on HFLC diet, well more KETO really. We are loving it and losing weight.
I am interested to hear from those of you taking this route.
How are you cholesterol levels with the HFLC? My husband has angina in his family but reacts badly to statins. Any advice?
Thanks
If he reacts badly to Statins it may be worth him trying Plant Sterols ? I have been taking them on my GP's suggestion (after refusing statins) for a year and my cholesterol has come down from 7 to 5.8 so far. They are from Health Food shops

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If he reacts badly to Statins it may be worth him trying Plant Sterols ? I have been taking them on my GP's suggestion (after refusing statins) for a year and my cholesterol has come down from 7 to 5.8 so far. They are from Health Food shops

There is a paucity of research into plant sterols (and stanols). It is unknown whether using them has any side effects.
The Total Cholesterol number is meaningless, it is a breakdown of the different values of a full lipid panel that one should be looking at with especial attention being paid to the HDL to Triglyceride ratio.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
There is a paucity of research into plant sterols (and stanols). It is unknown whether using them has any side effects.
The Total Cholesterol number is meaningless, it is a breakdown of the different values of a full lipid panel that one should be looking at with especial attention being paid to the HDL to Triglyceride ratio.
Yes I agree. My good cholesterol has improved though :)
My trig to HDL ratio is 0.59

Last edited: