Cholesterol drugs question

m4z

About a year ago, instead of seeing the Diabetic Nurse, I saw one of the GPs at the surgery.

My cholesterol level when I was first diagnosed was 3.4 - and is now at 3.5. I've been Type 2 since 2003 on 2000mg Metformin, 80mg [reduced to 40mg since starting Byetta] Gliclazide and recently started taking 5 mg Byetta . He was still insistent that I should start "cholesterol reducing medication". I refused, saying that as 5 is an average, I have a well below average level, and I'm quite happy with this.

He argued the point, saying it's 'Government Guidelines' to get diabetics' cholesterol down to half of what it currently is. I argued back, saying I would refuse to take them :roll:

The Diabetic Nurse has never mentioned it. I have no other health issues, and take no other medication, apart from a supplement for an old back injury (Glucosamine Sulphate).

What are your opinions? 3.5 is good, isn't it?

Thanks in advance.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hi,

I think the national average is something like 6.2 so your levels are far below that.

You may find this interesting; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8SSCNaaDcE

Dr Kendrick has written a very good book 'The Great Cholesterol Con' which I would recommend.

Dillinger