Cholesterol Levels - what should they be?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 total cholesterol is about average for an adult in the UK but is meaningless without the full lipid breakdown. You need to know HDL, LDL and triglycerides. From those you can work out your ratios. I would personally never consider statins, and especially not without knowing the breakdown. I also don't understand how any doctor can advocate statins without knowing these figures.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Well I finally had my cholesterol figures back. Only from a blood test that was done in the middle of October (and not even a fasting one). It took them until last week to send the letter out (letter dictated on the 14th December, not typed till 17 January) and then not sent out until the 6th February. In that they say that my level is 5.6. Gone through the calculator and it appears I am borderline. Humbug! The diabetic clinic says that they would like me to take Statins. I'd be inclined to say no and to try something else e.g. ACV/arthichoke/plant sterols. Anyone had any success with any of these? I'm really reluctant to take statins unless I absolutely have to (since I know one possible side effect is hair loss - and mine has never quite recovered from an underactive thyroid). Thoughts anyone? I know the official line is that they like your levels to be under 4.0 (has anyone actually managed that?)
My cholesterol numbers are TC 5.8, HDL 1.7, TC/HDL 3.4, non-HDL 4.1. I am very pleased with those numbers as I don't believe all that baloney about total cholesterol below 4.0. None of the data supports a bad relationship between higher cholesterol (within reason) and mortality, in fact the higher the cholesterol, the longer you are likely to live (especially for women)!

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
5.6 total cholesterol is about average for an adult in the UK but is meaningless without the full lipid breakdown. You need to know HDL, LDL and triglycerides. From those you can work out your ratios. I would personally never consider statins, and especially not without knowing the breakdown. I also don't understand how any doctor can advocate statins without knowing these figures.
Thank you. Used the calculator and this is what it says:

upload_2017-2-15_16-44-56.png

I'd be inclined to be more co-operative if it was a recent test - not one done 3 months ago before I got my BMI down following nearly 3 stone weight loss! Rant end!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Everything there points to you being bang on where you should be. This is why the total is meaningless. It is arrived at by adding the LDL, HDL and 46% of the trigs. Therefore the higher your HDL is, the higher your total will be - and HDL needs to be as high as possible as this is the good stuff. Your HDL is wonderful. The Trigs need to be as low as possible as these are the real baddies. Your trigs are brilliantly low.

Whatever you are already doing is working. Just ignore that 5.6. It is fine, and point out to your nurse that you have excellent lipids and trigs.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Everything there points to you being bang on where you should be. This is why the total is meaningless. It is arrived at by adding the LDL, HDL and 46% of the trigs. Therefore the higher your HDL is, the higher your total will be - and HDL needs to be as high as possible as this is the good stuff. Your HDL is wonderful. The Trigs need to be as low as possible as these are the real baddies. Your trigs are brilliantly low.

Whatever you are already doing is working. Just ignore that 5.6. It is fine, and point out to your nurse that you have excellent lipids and trigs.
Thank you - the irony is that these tests were done at the diabetic clinic (who have now written to my GP with the results). Hopefully this will get them off my back. I'm still waiting to see the letter from the dietician there who said I can come off my meds (Gliclizade). Good job I'm not holding my breath!

Reactions: Bluetit1802