Cholesterol Levels - what should they be?

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
On my recent visit to the diabetes clinic in October I had some blood tests done.

One was my HBA1C which at the time was 67, EGR (which I understand is kidney function),,

Triglycerides (at 0.5 mmol/L) and HDL Cholesterol: at 2.7mmol/L.

My question is this - what should HDL cholesterol be? I'm totally confused as to the information on the web (I know there are 2 types of cholesterol - good and bad), and I just wanted to clarity if I needed to be concerned at the level.

Any answers?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you ask for a print out of your results (you are entitled to these) it will show what the levels should be for all the different tests. It is always wise to get these print outs because they are very useful to see where you are starting, and how you are improving (or not!) You may also like to ask if your surgery now puts results on-line. If so, register for this and hey presto! You will see them all on-line. All surgeries in England should have done this by last April, but a few are lagging behind.

EGFR should be over 90.
Triglycerides 0 to 1.7
HDL 1.2 to 3.5 (good cholesterol)
LDL 0 to 2 (3) (not so good cholesterol)
Total/HDL ratio under 4.

Reactions: Funkky_

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Thanks for the responses all.

Phew! A bit of good news for a change. The EGFR was >90 and my HBA1C is now 50, so hopefully doing something right!

Reactions: noblehead

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here are the target cholesterol levels that people with diabetes should be aiming for:

• Your total cholesterol level should be below 4.0mmol/l.
  • LDL levels should be less than 2.0mmol/l.
  • HDL levels should be 1.0mmol/l or above in men and 1.2mmol/l or above in women.
  • Triglyceride levels should be 1.7mmol/l or less.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Managing-your-diabetes/Testing/

Should we not note that this is only if one believes in the lipid hypothesis? Especially the below the 4 total cholesterol level.
A lot of us do not accept the dogma of the eatwell plate so to blindly follow the cholesterol guidelines appears a little odd.
Just my thoughts on the mater.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If my cholesterol levels were below 4 I would be VERY worried! I like mine in the mid 5s as that seems to be the best place to be for lower risks, especially in older women. Plenty of studies on Google if you want to do a search.

Reactions: Prem51

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Here are the target cholesterol levels that people with diabetes should be aiming for:

• HDL levels should be 1.0mmol/l or above in men and 1.2mmol/l or above in women.

All my results just came back all within those targets, and I'm more than happy!

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Well they never gave me the LDL cholesterol or the total cholesterol level - just the HDL. I'm sure my docs will get in touch if they think I should have more tests.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I'm reading Malcolm Kendrick's book - The Great Cholesterol Con - which is fascinating, if a little bombastic at times. In it, Kendrick presents evidence to suggest that higher cholesterol levels as you age may not be a such a bad thing.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My LDL is a little too high I think at 2.4, this was a year ago so hopefully its came down a bit....

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well they never gave me the LDL cholesterol or the total cholesterol level - just the HDL. I'm sure my docs will get in touch if they think I should have more tests.

He should get in touch, but please don't rely on him doing so! Do get your print outs. It is important for you to see just what all the levels were. Normally, the laboratories type up the results and these are passed through to the surgery. Any results that are outside the normal range are highlighted in some way. The doctor just looks for the highlighted ones. They don't have time to examine them in fine detail. If your results are borderline but still within the standard, you may never know and never be told. Knowledge is power!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Yes I'm sure they would as it should flag-up on their system otherwise.

Your Trigs are exceptionally good at 0.5 so well done, mine too was 0.5 at my last check-up and my diabetes consultant was very happy with the result :)

lindisfel

Expert
The body needs cholesterol to heal itself and produce hormones. A Norwegian study indicated that the elderly lived longer when they had higher cholesterol levels.
It is a very small component of LDL that is harmful according to Prof Sakaris (see him on Youtube) and the ratio of high HDL to low trigs is the best predictor of not having any harmful stuff.

Prof Sakaris was not very complimentary about doctors who were not up to date on present understanding of cholesterol.
D.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert

I would be worried I had got the wrong kind of LDL with trigs that high!!

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
@Nicksu As you have your HDL and triglycerides figures you can enter them into this calculator to get your LDL figure, and HDL/LDL/triglycerides ratios which are more relevant than the individual or total figures:
http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php
Thank you for that.

And the result is: (drum roll!)

Your HDL of 2.7 is OPTIMAL
Your Triglyceride level of 0.5 is NORMAL
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.424 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL

Whew!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Nicksu those are good figures.
I would think your LDL and total cholesterol figures must be good too or your GP would be pushing statins on you.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm reading Malcolm Kendrick's book - The Great Cholesterol Con - which is fascinating, if a little bombastic at times. In it, Kendrick presents evidence to suggest that higher cholesterol levels as you age may not be a such a bad thing.

He appears to hedge his bets nowadays.
Possibly he didn't expect to become such a widely quoted authority on the subject.

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2016/04/25/what-causes-heart-disease-part-xii/
https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2016/07/12/what-causes-heart-disease-past-xviii/

Worth a read.

lindisfel

Expert
He appears to hedge his bets nowadays.
Possibly he didn't expect to become such a widely quoted authority on the subject.

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2016/04/25/what-causes-heart-disease-part-xii/
https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2016/07/12/what-causes-heart-disease-past-xviii/

Worth a read.
Hi Douglas, that is really interesting, especially if one has high LDL. Where do his theories put patients now who have very low bad LDL but still have plenty of 'ordinary' LDL!? I hope we are not all at the mercy of our own particular gurus! Thank you for drawing the article to our attention it was an interesting read. It is a another factor to put in the statin equation since he was lined up many times by believers in anti statin camp. Thanks again Derek

Reactions: Prem51

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Well I finally had my cholesterol figures back. Only from a blood test that was done in the middle of October (and not even a fasting one). It took them until last week to send the letter out (letter dictated on the 14th December, not typed till 17 January) and then not sent out until the 6th February. In that they say that my level is 5.6. Gone through the calculator and it appears I am borderline. Humbug! The diabetic clinic says that they would like me to take Statins. I'd be inclined to say no and to try something else e.g. ACV/arthichoke/plant sterols. Anyone had any success with any of these? I'm really reluctant to take statins unless I absolutely have to (since I know one possible side effect is hair loss - and mine has never quite recovered from an underactive thyroid). Thoughts anyone? I know the official line is that they like your levels to be under 4.0 (has anyone actually managed that?)