dwnunder

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Big mouths
I was diagnosed as a Type 1 in July last year.

I have been doing so well and have brought my Hba1c down from 127 at diagnosis to 44 in November. However, I visited my GP on Monday for my routine check up and foot check, all good but they told me I needed a blood test to check my Cholesterol, well today I had a call from the doctors to say that it is high at 5.6 and they need me to go in and talk to the doctor.
I have tried so hard to watch what I eat and I really haven't changed what I eat, other than I eat less now, no snacks in between so my diet food wise is the same but I have never had high Cholesterol before! What am I doing wrong, just when I thought that I had got on top of this I am now worried that I have done something wrong,.
Is this something that happens when you are a diabetic?

Any help would be great, or any ideas ;-)

Thanks
Jenny
The latest research says that it's HDL and triglycerides which are the most important today. But doctors are still being taught outdated stuff. So long as your trigs are below 1.5mmol/L you will have big fluffy LDL not the small dense particles that stick to your arteries. Have a look at this Youtube Prof Ken Sikaris he is a lipidologist so spends all his time looking at blood.
He explains it beautifully. Also if you are following a LCHF diet and do have any small dense from previous diet they should also go down over time. Aseem Malhotra cardiologist thinks the same. It's sugar that causes small dense particles and heart disease not fat.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Trig reading was 12. The hospital doctor and DSN told me it was “critical” I started on statins so I have done.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
no idea on what my readinsg are however...been on antibiotics so stopped taking statinms for a week the pains in my upper arms went but now started taking the statins agian and pains in upper arms started again, in to see the Doctor on Friday so will ask him if I can come off the darn things

dwnunder

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Big mouths
My Trig reading was 12. The hospital doctor and DSN told me it was “critical” I started on statins so I have done.
Yes I think that being on statins is a good idea if your trigs are high. Being LCHF will reduce them over time and statins reduce the sdLDL

Reactions: mountaintom

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Simple question. When I started on this forum a couple of months ago my impression from most was if you get the BS down the cholestral will follow. Is this accurate?
My combined chol was 8 but my A1C was 53. I have been doing lc high/mod fat since diagnosis in Dec and am eagerly awaiting my next set of results early March. Cant stand cream and eat little cheese or yogurt, never liked dairy much. However do like good quality butter but only as a spread. If my chol doesnt improve I will be leaned on to take statins which I dont really want until maybe I really do need them.
Bluetit and Guzzler you are Professors of this Academy, your knowledge knows no bounds!

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
totally down to your body some have high levels others low.