Chronic Fatigue And T1 Diabetes

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. An interesting article but I don't go along with it. I don't believe fatigue is a normal symptom of T1 or hyperglycemia. Perhaps I'm unusual (a sample of one!) but I've never suffered fatigue whilst Hyper or before or since. We are all different but I would challenge the facts in the article and look for a more in-depth bit of research. Obviously some do suffer fatigue like yourself but I suspect, but guessing, that it's not just due to the diabetes itself? I can imagine for some, being hyper will cause fatigue but once blood sugar is sensibly well-controlled there must be other factors at work?

Reactions: kitedoc
D

Deleted Account

Personally, I find feeling exhausted is a symptom for high BG.
However, like @Diabell once my BG is low, I am bouncing along as usual.

I find high BG will emphasise any pains, niggles, sniffs or sores.
So much so that sometimes I do not know if I feel rubbish because my BG is high or whether my BG is high because I feel rubbish.
Therefore, I could imagine that an underlying illness causing chronic fatigue may be more prominent in someone with diabetes. The fatigue may raise BG and the raised BG may make the fatigue worse.

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the study it was pointed out that the fatigue was not as a result of high or low blood glucose levels. Sorry if that wasn't clear. 40% is quite a significant proportion and I think the point was to show that there is an increrased risk among type 1's that should be looked into? As someone who has suffered with chronic fatigue and dealt with doctors simply not having a clue or even really accepting that it is a problem I'm all for trying to learn more about the potential causes and hopefully treatments.

Unfortunately the attitude of "the fatigue is just a result of going high" has meant that for literally years I was told to just look after my blood glucose levels and it will get better. This really has not helped me at all and to be honest advising trying to maintain good glucose control is a bit of an obvious statement.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Even though my sugars are under good control now, I’m still massively fatigued.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a difficult issue, because there are so many things that can cause fatigue. For a few years I felt tired, it wasn't a sort of too tired to do anything, tiredness, but it was a sort of dragging tiredness, where I could do things, but they were just a lot more effort.

It did disappear, for me when I started taking a CoQ10enyme supplement. That dragging feeling disappeared after that. But that doesn't mean it would work for everyone,but you never know!!!

Apparently we produce less as we get older, and I read somewhere, that people with diabetes have less, but I can't find it now. However it is an anti-oxidant, and because of those high blood sugars are anti-oxidants have to work a whole lot harder than other peoples.

So it might be worth looking at increasing your anti-oxidants, too little vitamin C can cause tiredness too.

But it's so complicated, and it took me ages to get there.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And I also think that having T1D is very stressful, so it's not surprising people who have it may get chronic fatigue, it could just be the stress of it.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
In the study it was pointed out that the fatigue was not as a result of high or low blood glucose levels. Sorry if that wasn't clear. 40% is quite a significant proportion and I think the point was to show that there is an increrased risk among type 1's that should be looked into? As someone who has suffered with chronic fatigue and dealt with doctors simply not having a clue or even really accepting that it is a problem I'm all for trying to learn more about the potential causes and hopefully treatments.

Unfortunately the attitude of "the fatigue is just a result of going high" has meant that for literally years I was told to just look after my blood glucose levels and it will get better. This really has not helped me at all and to be honest advising trying to maintain good glucose control is a bit of an obvious statement.

It must be really frustrating trying to manage your energy levels and cope with being fobbed on with 'good glucose control' comments. Can I just check that your bloods have been checked thoroughly for thyroid, iron and B12 deficiencies ?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also Vit D being deficient often causes fatigue and low mood.
With the knock on effect that with fatigue you are much less likely to get out and about in the sun to get the vit D levels back up.
So supplementation is the way to go.

Your doc can run a test to measure Vit D levels - if you can persuade them. Alternatively you can get the test done privately.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really appreciate this post. I've been suffering from fatigue since diagnosis 12 months ago. Firstly I was told it would improve as my metabolism adjusted, then if I got my BG level down (latest hba1c 48), then they ran blood tests which came up with nothing and then I was ignored.

Being diagnosed late in life means I have clear memories of life PD - pre diabetes. I had energy then and I certainly wasn't spending my day feeling like I haven't slept for weeks.

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a difficult issue, because there are so many things that can cause fatigue. For a few years I felt tired, it wasn't a sort of too tired to do anything, tiredness, but it was a sort of dragging tiredness, where I could do things, but they were just a lot more effort.

It did disappear, for me when I started taking a CoQ10enyme supplement. That dragging feeling disappeared after that. But that doesn't mean it would work for everyone,but you never know!!!

Apparently we produce less as we get older, and I read somewhere, that people with diabetes have less, but I can't find it now. However it is an anti-oxidant, and because of those high blood sugars are anti-oxidants have to work a whole lot harder than other peoples.

So it might be worth looking at increasing your anti-oxidants, too little vitamin C can cause tiredness too.

But it's so complicated, and it took me ages to get there.

Hi, yes the CoQ10 is interesting. I now take the ubiquinol version but to add to your point, many diabetics (of whichever type) seem to be prescribed statins which as I understand it can interfere with levels of CoQ10. I personally refuse to take them (statins) and considering my last blood test only came back at 5.6 total cholesterol I really don't consider that worth risking the side effects of the statins but I digress...

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It must be really frustrating trying to manage your energy levels and cope with being fobbed on with 'good glucose control' comments. Can I just check that your bloods have been checked thoroughly for thyroid, iron and B12 deficiencies ?

Oh it really is so frustrating! My chronic fatigue came on severely after being hospitalised with a severe DKA. Initially I thought it was just a matter of needing to recover from the drama of it all but as the weeks turned to months that just didn't happen. I also developed peripheral neuropathy at the same time so it really was a dramatic shift from generally being ok, active etc to suddenly not being able to stand long enough to wait for a kettle to boil.
I have had my iron, thyroid and B12 checked. Pernicious (sp?) anaemia does run in my family so I did wonder about that, but they came back ok.

At this point I should add that at my last blood test they tested cortisol levels which came back low so I need to get those investigated further and now my GP is saying that could be the cause of the chronic fatigue.
I'm now at the point where I feel my body has been damaged over the years and even if one cause were to be found I expect there would be other factors involved now but really I shared this study about the fatigue to make other Type 1's aware that there is an issue here. I'm hoping that by reading things like this we can feel less willing to accept being abandoned or victim blamed when the doctors just assume we are not trying to take care of ourselves. Also so that others feel less alone in this which has been my overwhelming experience with the fatigue.

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also Vit D being deficient often causes fatigue and low mood.
With the knock on effect that with fatigue you are much less likely to get out and about in the sun to get the vit D levels back up.
So supplementation is the way to go.

Your doc can run a test to measure Vit D levels - if you can persuade them. Alternatively you can get the test done privately.

I do have low vitamin D levels and in fact just got prescribed a supplement to take for it. Many people in the UK are deficient in vitamin D at least in the winter months from what I understand so it's certainly wise to get that test done if you can :)

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really appreciate this post. I've been suffering from fatigue since diagnosis 12 months ago. Firstly I was told it would improve as my metabolism adjusted, then if I got my BG level down (latest hba1c 48), then they ran blood tests which came up with nothing and then I was ignored.

Being diagnosed late in life means I have clear memories of life PD - pre diabetes. I had energy then and I certainly wasn't spending my day feeling like I haven't slept for weeks.

I wish I could offer some advice that could help, I know just how frustrating this issue is to deal with. The problem with fatigue is that it is a symptom that can be caused by so many different things. It also is a symptom that those without experience of it just can't understand as they can only imagine it as being like when they feel tired.
I hope you manage to find a solution to your fatigue!

Reactions: Sweetheart66

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do have low vitamin D levels and in fact just got prescribed a supplement to take for it. Many people in the UK are deficient in vitamin D at least in the winter months from what I understand so it's certainly wise to get that test done if you can :)

Great that you are already being supplemented!
Has anyone mentioned that if you are taking Vit D you should also take Vit K2 as well?
(that is Vit K2 and NOT Vit K1, which is more commonly available)

The reason is that many of us are also deficient in K2, but it is needed to utilise theVit D.
I don't think that K2 tests are available on NHS and even if they are, good luck with persuading a doc to run the test! But don't worry, there is no known overdose for K2 and it does all sorts of beneficial things, so you won't do yourself any harm by supplementing with it.

https://www.selfhacked.com/blog/top-10-science-based-benefits-vitamin-k2/

Sophia78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great that you are already being supplemented!
Has anyone mentioned that if you are taking Vit D you should also take Vit K2 as well?
(that is Vit K2 and NOT Vit K1, which is more commonly available)

The reason is that many of us are also deficient in K2, but it is needed to utilise theVit D.
I don't think that K2 tests are available on NHS and even if they are, good luck with persuading a doc to run the test! But don't worry, there is no known overdose for K2 and it does all sorts of beneficial things, so you won't do yourself any harm by supplementing with it.

https://www.selfhacked.com/blog/top-10-science-based-benefits-vitamin-k2/

Oooh! Thanks for the heads up about K2 and that link is really informative!

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suffer with overwhelming fatigue but put it down to a combination of health issues. Type 1, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Depression/Anxiety and also peripheral neuropathy. My GP refused to do a vit D test so not sure if mine is low. I find living with chronic pain could add to the fatigue because it makes every day tasks such an effort. Article was interesting to read.

Last edited: