Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

GBS_82_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Hope everyone is well and in range!

Since my diagnosis of type 1 diabetes in February I have been feeling pretty unwell. Very unwell really. I was diagnosed off the back of DKA and in hospital for a week and a half so as you can imagine, for a long time I (and others) put it down to a slow recovery. It was also discovered that I had very low vitamin D which I have taken super strong tablets to address.

However, my excellent GP (who does radical things like listen to me) thinks that I may have CFS. Having read about the symptoms it seems to fit. At aged 34, I'm naturally hoping this isn't the case (not that I'm suggesting it would be welcome at any age).

I have read that there is a connection between T1 diabetes and CFS as both are autoimmune conditions (I have another, too, called vitaligo).

Just thought it was worth checking in to see if there are any other sufferers here and if anyone could give me any tips.

Of course, still hopeful it turns out to be something else :)

Thanks all!

Gareth x

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
@GBS_82_ Hi Gareth,
I was diagnosed with M.E. / CFS back in 1994 after a viral illness which was taking an age to shift. At that point I was working at three jobs with extra shifts at a fourth here and there. I was addicted to the buzz of different roles and paid too little attention to inconveniences like health. My diagnosis came after exclusive tests for everything you can think of.
Lots of water has flowed under the bridge since then and I have't really given my condition much attention for years. I learned to balance work with rest and only occasionally overdo things now.
Some weeks back I posted an inquiry about M.E. / CFS sufferers on the forum, to see if (as you said) there is any links. To date I have had no replies. My personal belief is that stress engenders the release of cortisone/ adrenaline which contributes to high blood sugar, which may or may not have pointed me towards eventual diabetes.
That being said, you may simply be reacting to the shock of your diagnosis, and in time will get to grips with giving your T1 a good kicking.
All the very best.
NMD